Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Now you have seen the PS4 - Likes / Dislikes - Thoughts

This is a discussion on Now you have seen the PS4 - Likes / Dislikes - Thoughts within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've just had a good browse of the PS4. Likes: It should fit in easily with other equipment. It looks ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Now you have seen the PS4 - Likes / Dislikes - Thoughts

I've just had a good browse of the PS4.

It should fit in easily with other equipment.
    It looks neat and sleek considering it is basically a PC.
    It's not garishly shiny like the original FAT PS3's so it won't be a dust magnet.

Not sure about:
    From what I could see, the only venting is at the rear divided into a double grill like part of the rear of the casing.
    I can only imagine that the bottom part of this grill will be sucking air in, and the top part venting it out of the case.
    I just hope Sony has tested this well enough, as I think Sony has previously been guilty of putting compact styling over function.
    The last thing anybody wants is a repeat of the FAT PS3's overheating debarcle.

Dislike intensely.
    I can't believe Sony has yet again put it's need for a neat form over function, and put the front USB ports in a position that makes them a bloody nightmare to use unless you have the USB sockets at eye level [and very few people would have that]
    It wouldn't be so bad if there were some small marking on the case showing their position, but trying to get a cable or USB stick plugged into the USB sockets on a unmarked black case in a lounge room at night drives me nuts

I guess my swearing jar money will be filling up quickly when the PS4 arrives.

Legalize it...

The only thing I dont like that I can remember is + being needed for online play. I have + and was going to keep it but I dont agree with that idea...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Haven't seen anything yet that I didn't like. As for right now I am liking everything about it. The whole PS+ to play online doesn't bother me. I would rather give my money to Sony than M$. At least Sony isn't trying to screw over their players.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I have yet to see the actual presentation and didn't realize Sony had moved the goal posts with online play needing a + subscription.

It doesn't surprise me, it seemed inevitable that Sony would eventually start charging for the use of the PSN, it just seems such a underhanded way of doing it.
    Still not quite as bad as what ADOBE did last month to it's customers.

I only play Wipeout HD/FURY online with any regularity, I don't bother with other online games generally [and I tend to avoid games that have online trophies needed to achieve Platinum] so it would be no loss to me not being a + subscriber.

I suppose that's why Sony have suprisingly priced the PS4 as low as they have.
    They are taking a leaf out of the computer printer manufactures book.
    Give away they the printer [PS4] for next to nothing and charge a fortune for the ink [+ subscription]

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I have yet to see the actual presentation and didn't realize Sony had moved the goal posts with online play needing a + subscription.

It doesn't surprise me, it seemed inevitable that Sony would eventually start charging for the use of the PSN, it just seems such a underhanded way of doing it.
    Still not quite as bad as what ADOBE did last month to it's customers.

I only play Wipeout HD/FURY online with any regularity, I don't bother with other online games generally [and I tend to avoid games that have online trophies needed to achieve Platinum] so it would be no loss to me not being a + subscriber.

I suppose that's why Sony have suprisingly priced the PS4 as low as they have.
    They are taking a leaf out of the computer printer manufactures book.
    Give away they the printer [PS4] for next to nothing and charge a fortune for the ink [+ subscription]
    Not quite accurate.

Sony has made a loss on every PS3 with the exception of the Superslim models, so that's nothing new. They sell the hardware below cost to move games off the shelves, not subscriptions. The asking rate for PS+ is likely barely sufficient to cover the running costs of the PSN.

PS+ represents amazing value - we get back at least 10 x what we pay for it in free games each year and I'd personally subscribe for the cloud saves alone. One PS+ account covers PS3, PS4 and Vita (all with free games) and dropping a fiver on it every month is a no-brainer...I haven't paid for a Vita game yet.

Let's also not forget PS4 games will be playable via RemotePlay on Vita, and PS3 games will be streamed online to PS4 & Vita via Gaikai (Sony's cloud), which I suspect is included as part of our PS+ subscription.

The PS4 is full of win. The only criticism I can level at it is the box looks a little goofy, but I understand the design decision is in part to keep the production costs down so they can sell the PS4 dirt-cheap. It kinda looks like a PS2 Slim on steroids.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I suppose the cost of a + Subscription isn't that expensive .... ATM.
    But that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

As being a + Subscriber hasn't been needed for use of the PSN with the PS3, Sony has kept the price reasonable.
    It's always trying to get people to buy into it.

The situation with the PS4 has changed that.
    The PS4 customer will forever be at the mercy of Sony's future subscription pricing.
    When you consider that every new PS4 sale brings with it a + subscription, that's a huge temptation for a company to suddenly up the price of a service that is needed to keep a piece of equipment running, let alone access the content that you have payed for.

Sony didn't come to this decision thinking of being the best gaming platform, they did it with the thought of a constant stream of new revenue that doesn't need anything except the building and selling of one new console.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

• Third-Party Support. Now if they only make controlled homebrew it would be assume.
    • Used game support.

Dislikes:

• The design looks really like a VCR.
    • PS+ required internet. I just think a lot of casual gamers are going to switch to PC ore the other consoles (Except XBOX 1 )
    • Taking out Microsoft. Basicly they have taken out the competition, with Microsoft out of the way what's to stop Sony from playing it dirty.
    • The controller looks awful.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I just hope they keep the incredible high standard of games for PS+.

Toggle Spoiler

currently working on several games

My first trophy guide - FIFA 14

Get bent...

Dear Microsoft:

Sincerely,

Sony
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

illegal in 9 countries

I suppose the cost of a + Subscription isn't that expensive .... ATM.
    But that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

As being a + Subscriber hasn't been needed for use of the PSN with the PS3, Sony has kept the price reasonable.
    It's always trying to get people to buy into it.

The situation with the PS4 has changed that.
    The PS4 customer will forever be at the mercy of Sony's future subscription pricing.
    When you consider that every new PS4 sale brings with it a + subscription, that's a huge temptation for a company to suddenly up the price of a service that is needed to keep a piece of equipment running, let alone access the content that you have payed for.

Sony didn't come to this decision thinking of being the best gaming platform, they did it with the thought of a constant stream of new revenue that doesn't need anything except the building and selling of one new console.
    Of course they're doing it for cashflow, but their motives aren't sinister. Sony has lost close to $1 billion on the PS3 in the last 3 or 4 years, it's in OUR best interest for them to make that back and more.

Sony has set an expectation for PS+ prices. Current subscriptions will roll over to and include PS4. The base price won't change, but there may be a premium level package available to include Gaikai services. Doubtful, but possible.

Lvl 9 - Gold

massive like... no lock on used games YESSSSSSS

Lvl 10 - Platinum

I've just had a good browse of the PS4.

It's not garishly shiny like the original FAT PS3's so it won't be a dust magnet.

Not sure about:
    From what I could see, the only venting is at the rear divided into a double grill like part of the rear of the casing.

I just hope Sony has tested this well enough, as I think Sony has previously been guilty of putting compact styling over function.
    The last thing anybody wants is a repeat of the FAT PS3's overheating debarcle.

Dislike intensely.
    I can't believe Sony has yet again put it's need for a neat form over function, and put the front USB ports in a position that makes them a bloody nightmare to use unless you have the USB sockets at eye level [and very few people would have that]
    It wouldn't be so bad if there were some small marking on the case showing their position, but trying to get a cable or USB stick plugged into the USB sockets on a unmarked black case in a lounge room at night drives me nuts
    I happened to like the Fat PS3 model and mine would only need wiping once a week and even then there was little dust on it.

I only had one time with my PS3 at the beginning of overheating and it was kinda my fault. I lived in a small apartment and my friend was down playing Uncharted and I was cooking us some grub and I had all 4 burners on and the oven at 400f and I went to check on whatever I was cooking in the oven and I left the oven door opened to flip the food and the PS3 froze up and I could only shut it down by pulling the power cord. I almost forgot it was 40c with a humidex of 55+c outside and I don't have AC. But prior to that I've accidently left it on for 10 straight days and have had long game marathons on it without any problems. Now in terms of my 360 I couldn't have it on for more than 4 hours at a time according to Microsoft customer support and that's why it's overheating.

I agree with you on the USB ports. I've gotten use to doing it in the dark but maybe SONY should have had them light up.

Quote Originally Posted by JDizzle0420 View Post
    The only thing I dont like that I can remember is + being needed for online play. I have + and was going to keep it but I dont agree with that idea...

Any PS3 owner that doesn't have PS+ is making poor decisions because it only makes sense to subscribe. Of course watch when the PS4 comes out no free games every week.

Galaxy beauty pirate

- Used game support.
    - PS4 looks allright.

Dislikes:
    - The controller looks weird, but if it plays really well, it won't be a dislike anymore for me.

I might renew my subscription soon just in case it gets more expensive.

My fat 80GB shiny PS3 is definitely not a dust collector and I never put much effort in cleaning it. I keep my house clean though, so maybe that's why.
    Sig by Ramon

Lvl 9 - Gold

The look is growing on me I think it looks quite cool from the side making it a little less basic than Xbox One and it is cheaper which is what helped Microsoft win the console war last time and I loved the ovation for the no blocking used games or connecting to the internet periodically, the way he said it was just purposely taking shots at Microsoft lol

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Price
    Allows used games
    Two games I've been looking forwards for years

Dislikes:

The design
    Controller looks odd

I don't actually mind that you have to have plus to play online. I already have it for my ps3 and the free games that would have normally cost more than the actual price for plus monthly is a bonus.

Lvl 9 - Gold

It shouldn't suffer from overheating issues in my opinion its power draw is about 30% lower than the Ps3 from what we've heard already = lower heat produced.
    More venting than the original ps3 plus less heat output should be good to go, I would actually be more worried about dust collecting in the vents than anything cleaning the vents will be more essential with this Ps4 I think.
    Agree with USB placement however.

-i- love myself.

I liked every single thing about the PS4, I don't mind the PS+ subscription at all totally worth having.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Just about everything!
    Its cheap
    Im getting Plus soon anyway
    No DRM
    No need for online
    Some quite good games and more will likely be announced!

Dislike

Not Sony's fault but I really like the look of Crytek's Ryse.

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

I not sure there's anything I don't like. Sure the design is a little weird and I agree with ant that it looks like a PS2 on steroids. And the controller will probably take some getting used to, but it will probably become second nature after a while. I'm fresh out of fucks to give on what it looks like though, I want to know how it plays. All the rest is just icing on the cake for me.

PRO Member

Too soon to say for me, I'm still blown away by last night's conference and can't think of any dislikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast