Sony should implement a digital game rental service.

This is a discussion on Sony should implement a digital game rental service. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My friend & I had an interesting conversation earlier. Since the PS4 won't be blocking used games (which means you ...

Get bent...

Sony should implement a digital game rental service.

My friend & I had an interesting conversation earlier.

Since the PS4 won't be blocking used games (which means you can still rent), why not implement a digital game rental service?

It would work similar to timed trials basically. You pay a small fee ($5 maybe) to download a full game for a certain period of time to see if you like it. Any trophies you earn are yours to keep as if you had rented it from Gamefly or Redbox. When the time period is up, you're given the option to pay for another rental period, purchase the game, or delete it from your HDD.

Like I said, similar to timed trials except for a few bonuses and they can make all new games available in this manner instead of just a select few (as they do with timed trials).

This could directly compete with services such as Gamefly or Redbox. Since they would be digital downloads, you wouldn't have to worry about the game not being available like you do with Redbox or Gamefly. The game you want to check out would be there.

Anyway...just an idea. What do you think?
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Still the Chocobo

I think that's a great idea. While not affecting me for awhile, I see the benefit in it. It's streamlined renting and the selection would be as vast as the PSN stores library.

The only donwside would be Sony wieghing the pros and cons against it. People could rent and beat the games for A LOT less if their fast and not end up paying for the full game. I like the idea though. With some guidlines and rules, it could be done nicely.
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Lvl 6 - Silver

They already have a movie rental system on the PSN Store so it shouldn't be too hard for them to add games to it using the same system as the movie rental. I think this is a great idea and Sony probably will end up adding that feature into PSN some point in the future.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 10 - Platinum

It wouldn't be too far fetched especially seeing that Red Box is going to be coming to the PS4 already.

PRO Member

I doubt they would ever do something like that, because like already stated people would rent it plat it and the income they would've got from them just buying the game would be gone. It would be pretty sweet though.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Rangers F.C

Its a great idea but they are too heavily invested in the studios and would probably prefer the large payments on new games . It makes sense that they would continue to make cash on games for an unlimited time, there must be a reason or they would just do it already and cut out the middleman ( Lovefilm )
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Hall_Of_Game View Post
    I think that's a great idea. While not affecting me for awhile, I see the benefit in it. It's streamlined renting and the selection would be as vast as the PSN stores library.

The only donwside would be Sony wieghing the pros and cons against it. People could rent and beat the games for A LOT less if their fast and not end up paying for the full game. I like the idea though. With some guidlines and rules, it could be done nicely.
    Yeah but these would most likely be the same people who rent LOVEFILM, GameFly etc, so if anything Sony would be taking from their income, not their own.

Still the Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Redding View Post
    Yeah but these would most likely be the same people who rent LOVEFILM, GameFly etc, so if anything Sony would be taking from their income, not their own.
    Exactly. Those middlemen companies exist for those who rent movies and games. Unless Gamefly or Lovefilm or any other renting service intergrate maybe an app into the PS4, I don't see developers and Sony seeing this idea through. Maybe next-next-gen.....
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Lvl 9 - Gold

I think they pretty much said they were going to do this, with small trials of each game available to play a section of to see if you like it, with the whole time trials.
    I remember reading sony saying something about this around a month ago.

Basically they said you can download it partially begin playing if you like it, you can buy it if you dont you can delete it.

INTJ

PS4 has that built in pretty much

gaikai makes every ps4 game mandatory to have a limited time demo streamed to your ps4. they said that at the unveil event.

they also said you can be walking through a store and scan a code on the shelf to make your ps4 auto-set to do that when you get home

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/20/400...n-cloud-gaikai

Sony will use Gaikai's streaming technology to offer instant demoes through the PlayStation Store, Perry said. With Gaikai in the PlayStation Store, you'll be able to try anything instantly, Perry explained. "Simply press the X button to hop in and start playing the game," Perry said. "With Gaikai, you'll be able to instantly experience anything you want."

Angel of Death

But are they only demos? Because those are really that long. I'd rather have the full rental service. I don't have a Red Box around me that carries PS3 games and I don't want to ship with Gamefly.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I just wanna see how crazy the prices get online besides isn't it coming out after christmas..??