Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony explains why PS Plus is required for PS4 online play

This is a discussion on Sony explains why PS Plus is required for PS4 online play within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Shuhei Yoshida says due to "large investment of resources" for online play, keeping service free would have been "absurd." Sony ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Sony explains why PS Plus is required for PS4 online play

Shuhei Yoshida says due to "large investment of resources" for online play, keeping service free would have been "absurd."
    Sony has explained why a PlayStation Plus subscription will be required to play PlayStation 4 titles online. In the latest issue of Famitsu (translated by Kotaku), Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that it would have been "absurd" to keep the service free, considering the "large investment of resources" Sony has made for online infrastructure.

"The main pillar for the PS4 will be online play. We're developing many new ways to play and connect which requires a large investment of resources," Yoshida said.
    "Considering the cost, to try to keep such a service free and consequently lower the quality would be absurd. We decided that if that's the case, then it would be better to receive proper payment and continue to offer a good service."
    Currently, Sony does not charge a penny for online play for the PlayStation 3. PlayStation Plus subscriptions are offered for $50 per year, and current memberships will carry over to the PS4.
    The move puts Sony in line with Microsoft, which currently mandates that Xbox 360 users have an Xbox Live Gold membership ($60/year) to play games online and access features like Netflix.
    Elsewhere in the Famitsu issue, Sony Japan president Hiroshi Kawano said just because the PS4 is the main show moving forward, support for the PS3 is not ending anytime soon.
    "It's been seven years since the release of the PS3, and the console continues to sell at a constant pace, plus we have many upcoming titles," Kawano said. "We have no intention of immediately shifting from the PS3 to the PS4."
    "With the 2014 launch of our cloud service in the US allowing users to play PS3 games on the PS4, some people may switch consoles from the PS3 to the PS4," he added. "But that'll be a gradual process, and to say 'we're releasing a new console, so trade in your old ones for it' would be a maker's ego talking, plain and simple."

Sony explains why PS Plus is required for PS4 online play - GameSpot.com

I like how a lot of critics and gamers pointed out the fact that you will need PS+ in order to play online on the PS4. But to me it just makes good sense on what you get and the features that you get to use will cost SONY a great deal of money and besides we'll still get free games and great offers
    Cannot wait till November and I haven't even pre ordered mine yet. I may just wait till next year for mine

Grandmasterpiece

It's a standard for PS owners to get Plus for such sweet offers of free games, so it shouldn't be that bad needing a subscription. Besides, all that wonderful stuff costs money. It's kind of like tax when you think about it.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Du wirst geil

I don't really see it as a bad thing either. I mean you get what you pay for, right? Free games monthly and discounts on full PS3 games and Add-on's to boot, why wouldn't you get PS+ (Unless you can't afford it, which is understandable in every situation)? To transition from the PS3 to the PS4 without any consideration to those that won't be getting a PS4 right away and want to keep playing on their PS3's, would be a bad move on their part and I'm glad they'll keep supporting the PS3 (kind of like the PS2 was still being supported when the PS3 launched).

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

WHO DAT!!!!

you get what u pay for......$50 a year, having great servers for online ps4 play, free games, discounts, 1 GB cloud storage on and on. i was happy with my plus subscription before ps4 and i will continue plus when i get my 4 on day one!!!

Lvl 6 - Silver

50 bucks a year is NOT a lot of money....

Lvl 6 - Silver

Im happy to pay for it, even though many of the current features will be diminished, because hopefully the service will become improved and more stable.

I understand where the critics are coming from aswell though, because one of the main selling points of the PS3 was always free online, so to change that for PS4 they may see as losing as a potential selling point, even though the PS4 has a lot of other advantages anyway,

I think Nag said a while ago, its astounding its been free for so long anyway and we should take for granted that it has been for the entirety of the PS3's life cycle, and many of the features we enjoy of Plus on the PS3 will carry on such as cloud saves and the IGC to a lesser extent.

Rangers F.C

I am just glad we got it free as long as we did, I will not be holding it against them at all .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

I will continue to have PS+ as long as it exists, simple as that.

Gods Reign

Have no problem paying 50$ a year for a great service

Kiwi Defender

Pretty much what they were saying before, so nothing new here. It'll be interesting to see what kind of deals they offer at launch, though, given the thing will have very few games to begin with.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I would be a Plus member even if it wasn't required to play online

The One and Only

I wasn't fully against the idea anyway, but at least now we have the explanation for why Sony decided to do it (even if it wasn't hard to figure out). PS+ is really great to have anyway, I just might not be able to get it right away.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Well when put like that yeah for all the features we will be getting
    ps plus would make sense to have so you can take the full advantage of the ps4 online capabilities

Lvl 5 - Silver

Not such a bad thing, now we should have improved online play. Plus it isn't like you don't get your money's worth. I just hope they keep up a decent service for the ps3 for a while.

Signature made by PixieOfDarkness | GDT bar by djunglist

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Xerces2911 View Post
    I don't really see it as a bad thing either. I mean you get what you pay for, right? Free games monthly and discounts on full PS3 games and Add-on's to boot, why wouldn't you get PS+ (Unless you can't afford it, which is understandable in every situation)? To transition from the PS3 to the PS4 without any consideration to those that won't be getting a PS4 right away and want to keep playing on their PS3's, would be a bad move on their part and I'm glad they'll keep supporting the PS3 (kind of like the PS2 was still being supported when the PS3 launched).
    I fully agree with your entire comment and they're still making games for the PS2 even now. So if the timeline is the same for the PS3 then they'll still be games for the next 5 years but of course I'm thinking developers may cease developing games sooner than the PS2 though seeing that PS4 is more friendly too make games for.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by tuvuu48- View Post
    Not such a bad thing, now we should have improved online play. Plus it isn't like you don't get your money's worth. I just hope they keep up a decent service for the ps3 for a while.
    SONY said during their E3 press conference that they planned on continuing the great PS+ value through all 3 systems PS3, PS Vita and of course PS4.

PRO Member

If anyone wants to complain about PS+ being madatory...

Toggle Spoiler

PlayStation Plus: Celebrating 1 Year of the Instant Game Collection – PlayStation.Blog
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

INTJ

the reason why sony made it mandatory is so they won't have piece of shit servers.

it's the main reason why xbox live is behind a paywall.

PRO Member

I agree with Sony after all gaming is a luxury hobby

Lvl 6 - Silver

As long as the PS+ continues to offer awesome deals, I'll be more than happy to pay $50 a year!

You can't insult someone who's feeling's don't get hurt.

Sig by: djunglist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast