Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony will earn $2-$3 bucks for every X-Box One that's sold??

This is a discussion on Sony will earn $2-$3 bucks for every X-Box One that's sold?? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Y'all think this is true? According to this article, it's estimated that Sony will earn up to $150-$200 Million because ...

Plats-O'-War!!

Sony will earn $2-$3 bucks for every X-Box One that's sold??

Y'all think this is true? According to this article, it's estimated that Sony will earn up to $150-$200 Million because they own the Blu-Ray license (from what I read). Here's the link to the article, and you tell me does this hold any weight:

Sony will earn two to three dollars for every Xbox One sold - PCGMedia

Rangers F.C

I mentioned this a while back and everyone shot me down in flames and said they don't own it Samsung do .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Threat

Yes, this is true. I'm not sure if they'll get that much but they will profit from Xbox One games sold.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Yes, this is true. I'm not sure if they'll get that much but they will profit from Xbox One games sold.
    Wow, that's crazy. Wouldn't have thought that Microsoft would end up paying Sony because of that.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I can't see Microsoft paying Sony the competition. Even though Microsoft are notorious for throwing money around

Buy my book, Alteration

This is why I was interested that the XBox One a disc drive given it's Sony's property. Because the discs are Blu-Ray, I wonder how much they'll get for games, but since the console will profit them 2 or 3 bucks, I can't imagine it'd be that much.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    This is why I was interested that the XBox One a disc drive given it's Sony's property. Because the discs are Blu-Ray, I wonder how much they'll get for games, but since the console will profit them 2 or 3 bucks, I can't imagine it'd be that much.
    Well, in the article, they said it was only a guess amount. Who knows how much Sony'll actually get off of this.

PRO Member

That was very enjoyable to read.

Negator

This money is only earned on console sales, not disc sales...which is where 90% of console profitability lies.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    This money is only earned on console sales, not disc sales...which is where 90% of console profitability lies.
    Even if its only earned on console sales, its still quite a bit of money, perhaps to be reinvested into the PS4?

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Redding View Post
    Even if its only earned on console sales, its still quite a bit of money, perhaps to be reinvested into the PS4?
    I was just adding it for clarity, since it seems more than a few people think Sony will be earning money on XBOX One game disc sales as well as the console.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

well they wont make much money then lol

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I was just adding it for clarity, since it seems more than a few people think Sony will be earning money on XBOX One game disc sales as well as the console.
    I know Helyx, im not having a go, just pointing out aswell that even if its isn't much, it will add up and can be hopefully used by Sony on their own console!

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

SOny is the frank Lucas of the gaming industry, they get a cut for selling they're blue magic
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

The only sane person here

Hopefully Sony will put that pocket change money to good use.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Yay Xbox's money...

INTJ

itt: sony gamers learn what licensing is.

Sony pays microsoft 20$ for every viao with WMA Licences.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    I can't see Microsoft paying Sony the competition. Even though Microsoft are notorious for throwing money around
    If MS doesn't pay the licencing fees to access the Blu-Ray drive to the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium that owns the patents (including Sony and Samsung as two of the 9 companies involved in developing the technology), they'll wind up with a billion dollar lawsuit on their hands.

This sort of deal happens in almost every electronics gadget. For example, in the smartphone and tablet market Apple pays Samsung, Samsung pays Apple, Apple pays Google, Google pays Apple Samsung pays Google, Google pays Samsung...it's all swings and roundabouts, they all have each others hands in their pockets and it comes with the territory.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If MS doesn't pay the licencing fees to access the Blu-Ray drive to the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium that owns the patents (including Sony and Samsung as two of the 9 companies involved in developing the technology), they'll wind up with a billion dollar lawsuit on their hands.

This sort of deal happens in almost every electronics gadget. For example, in the smartphone and tablet market Apple pays Samsung, Samsung pays Apple, Apple pays Google, Google pays Apple...it's all swings and roundabouts, they all have each others hands in their pockets and it comes with the territory.
    So basically, this really is true and legit huh?

Kid, not loser

Pretty sure it was Sony and I think Panasonic that have most of the rights to blu-ray out the 9 companies.

However much it is though, $1, $2 or $3 for every console sold that is a lot of money. Microsofts $500 price point could possibly only give them $100 profit, or maybe nothing, similar to Sony and the PS3 way back when.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast