Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Sony will earn $2-$3 bucks for every X-Box One that's sold??

This is a discussion on Sony will earn $2-$3 bucks for every X-Box One that's sold?? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Y'all think this is true? According to this article, it's estimated that Sony will earn up to $150-$200 Million because ...

  1. #1
    Plats-O'-War!!
    kidson2004's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    All Around The World
    Posts
    4,528
    Reputation
    219

    Sony will earn $2-$3 bucks for every X-Box One that's sold??

    Y'all think this is true? According to this article, it's estimated that Sony will earn up to $150-$200 Million because they own the Blu-Ray license (from what I read). Here's the link to the article, and you tell me does this hold any weight:

    Sony will earn two to three dollars for every Xbox One sold - PCGMedia




  2. #2
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    I mentioned this a while back and everyone shot me down in flames and said they don't own it Samsung do .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  3. #3
    Threat
    AlecDawesome's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,570
    Reputation
    383

    Yes, this is true. I'm not sure if they'll get that much but they will profit from Xbox One games sold.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy


  4. #4
    Plats-O'-War!!
    kidson2004's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    All Around The World
    Posts
    4,528
    Reputation
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Yes, this is true. I'm not sure if they'll get that much but they will profit from Xbox One games sold.
    Wow, that's crazy. Wouldn't have thought that Microsoft would end up paying Sony because of that.




  5. #5
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    parkerdip's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,212
    Reputation
    30

    I can't see Microsoft paying Sony the competition. Even though Microsoft are notorious for throwing money around

  6. #6
    Buy my book, Alteration
    Digitalman123's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a very very... maaaaad wooorld
    Posts
    2,735
    Reputation
    80

    This is why I was interested that the XBox One a disc drive given it's Sony's property. Because the discs are Blu-Ray, I wonder how much they'll get for games, but since the console will profit them 2 or 3 bucks, I can't imagine it'd be that much.


    Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

  7. #7
    Plats-O'-War!!
    kidson2004's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    All Around The World
    Posts
    4,528
    Reputation
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    This is why I was interested that the XBox One a disc drive given it's Sony's property. Because the discs are Blu-Ray, I wonder how much they'll get for games, but since the console will profit them 2 or 3 bucks, I can't imagine it'd be that much.
    Well, in the article, they said it was only a guess amount. Who knows how much Sony'll actually get off of this.




  8. #8
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    That was very enjoyable to read.


  9. #9
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    This money is only earned on console sales, not disc sales...which is where 90% of console profitability lies.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  10. #10
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    Cpt-Redding's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durobrivae
    Posts
    405
    Reputation
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    This money is only earned on console sales, not disc sales...which is where 90% of console profitability lies.
    Even if its only earned on console sales, its still quite a bit of money, perhaps to be reinvested into the PS4?

  11. #11
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Redding View Post
    Even if its only earned on console sales, its still quite a bit of money, perhaps to be reinvested into the PS4?
    I was just adding it for clarity, since it seems more than a few people think Sony will be earning money on XBOX One game disc sales as well as the console.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  12. #12
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    nuta1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    england
    Posts
    195
    Reputation
    3

    well they wont make much money then lol

  13. #13
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    Cpt-Redding's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durobrivae
    Posts
    405
    Reputation
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I was just adding it for clarity, since it seems more than a few people think Sony will be earning money on XBOX One game disc sales as well as the console.
    I know Helyx, im not having a go, just pointing out aswell that even if its isn't much, it will add up and can be hopefully used by Sony on their own console!

  14. #14
    Sic Vis Pacem Bellum
    The Secret Society's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Shinjuku
    Posts
    2,150
    Reputation
    54

    SOny is the frank Lucas of the gaming industry, they get a cut for selling they're blue magic
    Signature Provided By Djunglist


  15. #15
    The only sane person here
    KingLazy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,222
    Reputation
    25

    Hopefully Sony will put that pocket change money to good use.

  16. #16
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    crewe-fox's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    406
    Reputation
    4

    Yay Xbox's money...

  17. #17
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    itt: sony gamers learn what licensing is.




    Sony pays microsoft 20$ for every viao with WMA Licences.

  18. #18
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    I can't see Microsoft paying Sony the competition. Even though Microsoft are notorious for throwing money around
    If MS doesn't pay the licencing fees to access the Blu-Ray drive to the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium that owns the patents (including Sony and Samsung as two of the 9 companies involved in developing the technology), they'll wind up with a billion dollar lawsuit on their hands.

    This sort of deal happens in almost every electronics gadget. For example, in the smartphone and tablet market Apple pays Samsung, Samsung pays Apple, Apple pays Google, Google pays Apple Samsung pays Google, Google pays Samsung...it's all swings and roundabouts, they all have each others hands in their pockets and it comes with the territory.

  19. #19
    Plats-O'-War!!
    kidson2004's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    All Around The World
    Posts
    4,528
    Reputation
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If MS doesn't pay the licencing fees to access the Blu-Ray drive to the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium that owns the patents (including Sony and Samsung as two of the 9 companies involved in developing the technology), they'll wind up with a billion dollar lawsuit on their hands.

    This sort of deal happens in almost every electronics gadget. For example, in the smartphone and tablet market Apple pays Samsung, Samsung pays Apple, Apple pays Google, Google pays Apple...it's all swings and roundabouts, they all have each others hands in their pockets and it comes with the territory.
    So basically, this really is true and legit huh?




  20. #20
    Kid, not loser
    Kid_Loser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,495
    Reputation
    81

    Pretty sure it was Sony and I think Panasonic that have most of the rights to blu-ray out the 9 companies.

    However much it is though, $1, $2 or $3 for every console sold that is a lot of money. Microsofts $500 price point could possibly only give them $100 profit, or maybe nothing, similar to Sony and the PS3 way back when.

    Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO