PS4 supports cross-platform play with PC??

This is a discussion on PS4 supports cross-platform play with PC?? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; If this is true, man this would be awesome (maybe even groundbreaking): The PlayStation 4 is innovating on multiple fronts ...

Plats-O'-War!!

PS4 supports cross-platform play with PC??

If this is true, man this would be awesome (maybe even groundbreaking):

The PlayStation 4 is innovating on multiple fronts when it comes to gaming, and especially multiplayer and social features. And now itís been revealed that the PlayStation 4 also supports cross-platform play with PCs.

According to Warframe developer Digital Extremes, they will be supporting cross-platform play between the PlayStation 4 and PC. Warframe is an MMO which is available on PCs now and will launch later this year on the PS4.

According to an interview with VG247, Digital Extremesí Dave Cook said that Sony wanted to bring Warframe to the PlayStation 4. But the developer had a few requirements. They wanted to be able to easily update the game every week or two, and they wanted cross platform play with PCs. And Sony agreed.

This means that Warframe PC and PlayStation 4 players will be able to team up and play together, despite being on different platforms.
    Source PlayStation 4 supports cross-platform play with PC | Playstation 4

Thoughts?

Lord of all Goat-Men

It's already confirmed that there will be shared servers for FFXIV - it's the reason why it won't be releasing on either Microsoft console.

It's unlikely that competitive games will be cross-platform, though, as there is an inherent disparity between control schemes - a keyboard and mouse is inarguably more precise than thumbsticks on a controller.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The PS3 does this with Portal 2, not exactly groundbreaking.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper_0 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't know seeing that I actually didn't play Portal 2 (and yes, I have it in my trophy list, but still didn't play it)

Kid, not loser

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    It's already confirmed that there will be shared servers for FFXIV - it's the reason why it won't be releasing on either Microsoft console.

It's unlikely that competitive games will be cross-platform, though, as there is an inherent disparity between control schemes - a keyboard and mouse is inarguably more precise than thumbsticks on a controller.
    The mouse is perhaps, but keyboard is definitely not. Moving with a thumbstick is much more precise and using buttons on a controller which is actually built for gaming is more accessible.

Many people have beaten people on pc with controllers, so it is completely arguable.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Threat

MMO cross-platform and 2 player co-op cross-platform are 2 very different things.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

#hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't know seeing that I actually didn't play Portal 2 (and yes, I have it in my trophy list, but still didn't play it)
    That makes no sense, you haven't played Warframe on PS4 either.

Kiwi Defender

I highly doubt this means we'll have cross-platform play on most games, as someone pointed out already. If anything, I can only see it happening with MMOs.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Portal 2 was even a little more groundbreaking because it allowed you to link your Steam profile to your PSN. I would love to see more of that integration on PS4.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramonalicious View Post
    That makes no sense, you haven't played Warframe on PS4 either.
    I was talking about me not playing Portal 2 :stare: what are you talking about?

PRO Member

I can see this happening for not online MMOs but also for competitive multiplayer and any othe online component of any game.

I mean you can already play games on PC with a controller so I think the issue of mouse, keyboard / controller can probably be fixed with a PS4 keybaord and mouse. Then just seperate lobbies by keyboard & mouse and controller...

This probably won't happen but I'm just saying there might be a way to acheive this. Then again I have no idea how matchmaking games and stuff actually works so yeah...

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    The mouse is perhaps, but keyboard is definitely not. Moving with a thumbstick is much more precise and using buttons on a controller which is actually built for gaming is more accessible.

Many people have beaten people on pc with controllers, so it is completely arguable.
    One massive advantage of M+KB is key mapping.

Also, this if you want to use your thumb instead of your fingers for movement -

KB kills analog stick for accurate strafing, rapid change of direction etc, but a keypad gives you both, so it's a moot point

I use M+KB on PS3 and I'm a shit-tonne more accurate than using a Dualshock, no doubt it's due to my predominately PC gaming background.

Given we have M+KB adaptors for PS3 and 360, I expect to see them for the PS4 and XB1.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post

It's pretty much a fact that the best player with a keyboard and mouse would beat the best player with a controller every single time, due to the inefficient analog stick for aiming. Keyboard has a lot more buttons than a controller, which allows for more hotkeys and commands to be binded. However, I will agree with you that an analog stick is better for movement (and pressure sensitive buttons are great on consoles), I would say a keyboard and mouse is way better, solely based on the tremendous advantages of the mouse.

Cross platform play for competitive games would absolutely not work, it would be way too easy for someone on PC.