Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One analyst predicts that the XBox One could outsell the PS4 at launch

This is a discussion on One analyst predicts that the XBox One could outsell the PS4 at launch within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; [top] Analyst Says Xbox One Could Outship PS4 3-To-1 At Launch Despite a lackluster reveal, the Xbox One may still ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

One analyst predicts that the XBox One could outsell the PS4 at launch

[top]Analyst Says Xbox One Could Outship PS4 3-To-1 At Launch

Despite a lackluster reveal, the Xbox One may still outsell the PS4 at launch—at least according to one analyst.

An investor’s note from Baird analyst Colin Sebastian paints a rosier outlook for Microsoft MSFT -0.59% and its upcoming Xbox One video game console.

Erik KainContributor
    According to GamesIndustry International, Sebastian said that ”Despite losing the headline battle at E3, Microsoft’s Xbox One appears to be regaining some momentum, in part due to the used and online policy tweaks. Importantly, our supply chain checks suggest Microsoft may have the benefit of a 2-3x unit advantage at launch compared to Sony SNE +1.86%‘s PS4.”
    The price gap won’t matter much at launch, Sebastian points out, since early adopters aren’t as motivated by price concerns so much as they’re drawn in by platform of choice.
    This makes sense, actually.
    Many gamers aren’t terribly invested in “gamer culture” or even up to speed on most video game industry news and opinion. Microsoft’s disastrous reveal and E3 conference will be distant memory by the holiday season, and many shoppers won’t have ever heard of the various policy fumbles.
    Still, there’s a flipside to this coin.
    $100 may not make much difference to early adopters, but to more casual consumers who don’t already have a platform preference, it could very easily mean the difference between buying the $499 Xbox One or the $399 PS4. Why spend more on essentially the same product?
    In terms of Nintendo ‘s Wii U, Sebastian argues that a price-cut is needed—something I couldn’t agree with more.
    I like the Wii U, and I’m very much looking forward to Pikmin 3 (one of the first Wii U games to render in native 1080p) and the new Mario and Donkey Kong games, but the console is selling for $318 for the 8GB version and $354 for the 32GB version on Amazon.
    That’s simply too close to the much more robust PlayStation 4, even with the Nintendo brand and its strong first-party line-up. At $250 and $299 respectively, the system begins to look much more attractive.
    Sebastian adds that ”the fate of the platform will likely rest on the popularity of Nintendo’s holiday software lineup” which, while strong, leaves many key titles out.
    In fact, 2014 may very well be the Wii U’s year to shine, but it will need to do so with both Sony and Microsoft nipping at its heels.
    P.S. I want to point out for those of you who have complained this is somehow a “pro-Microsoft” article that I am merely reporting on what one analyst says because, let’s face it, it goes against the grain of what most of us believe. PS4 has dominated and an Xbox One surge seems…unlikely (at least early on.) But I like to take these analysts seriously, or at least give their analysis the time of day. After all, there are factors beyond mere popularity to consider and we’re not always privy to everything going on behind the scenes, with logistics, third-party deals and so forth.
    Still, as one commenter points out, the PS4 is #5 on Amazon’s Top 100 list of best sellers in the Video Game category. The Xbox One isn’t even in the top 50. Many other similar reports point to the PS4 as a clear leader at this point.

I don't know..... it doesn't make sense to me, honestly. The PS4 is $100 cheaper...and the article doesn't really explain why or HOW it thinks they will outsell the PS4...just because 'casual gamers' won't care about E3? Still...I would feel like casual gamers would be more attracted to the $100 cheaper price tag.....just my thoughts. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by jmargraves; 07-23-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Deleted pictures! AH!
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Platinum Dohvakiin

I think this guy is just blowing smoke and using the 360 sales to arrive at his opinion. Casual gamers will care more about the $100 price difference than, than last models success.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    I think this guy is just blowing smoke and using the 360 sales to arrive at his opinion. Casual gamers will care more about the $100 price difference than, than last models success.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. Honestly, every single time I see a "pro" Xbox One article...a red flag goes up wondering how much Microsoft dropped on the advertisement.

Kiwi Defender

Well, most people forgot the policies were ever there and went back to the "I love my Xbox" bandwagon, so it's not really surprising that someone believes Microsoft might beat Sony at launch.

That said, the idea of them havine a 2-3 units advantage seems rather far-fetched, considering how long the PS4 pre-orders lasted. Time will tell how true that is, though.

He does mention that point mid-way through, though.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

i couldn't agree more with you =)

PRO Member

Just because ps2 sales were through the roof didn't mean ps3 dominated xbox 360, the last gen does not matter. It will be the same this gen. The price tag and the reveals/games will determine sales.

Signature made by PixieOfDarkness | GDT bar by djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

These so called analysts will say anything if you pay them the right amount.

#hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, most people forgot the policies were ever there and went back to the "I love my Xbox" bandwagon, so it's not really surprising that someone believes Microsoft might beat Sony at launch.

Don't foget the Bros and their Bros of War and Brolo 5, 6, 7 and a new RTS outing and Kinect centered game.

Lvl 7 - Gold

yep this analyst was definitely payed to say all this crap

Rangers F.C

I predict it to be much the same as this generation, no clear winner but fanboys on each side backing there console .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 9 - Gold

I personally don't think MS will have as many units to ship in the first place, even if it was going to outsell, which I don't think it will due to the backlash etc.

So many reports of bad yields and issues with actually making the console in the first place.

Du wirst geil

Why should anyone care about who outsells who? I mean as long as you get the console of your choice, then it shouldn't matter. Win Win all over in my opinion. And yes I didn't read the article. Why? Because this is the same bs smoke being blown out of some 'analysts' backside about who's going to win. And usually they're being either paid to say this putrid crap or they're in over their heads. Same as every gen before.

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

Game Review Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ramonalicious View Post
    Don't foget the Bros and their Bros of War and Brolo 5, 6, 7 and a new RTS outing and Kinect centered game.
    kinect dorites simulator and dudebro warfare with dorites and a free bag of dorites with purchase of Xbox One.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kankri View Post
    kinect dorites simulator and dudebro warfare with dorites and a free bag of dorites with purchase of Xbox One.
    dum ass u gotta dirty up ur fukin finger if ur gonna eat dorite, it adds Grip that way you don drop them lern 2 play pudge u fukin scrumb

Game Review Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    dum ass u gotta dirty up ur fukin finger if ur gonna eat dorite, it adds Grip that way you don drop them lern 2 play pudge u fukin scrumb

Lvl 7 - Gold

Lol..wtf just happened?

Will Love you for Food

Quote Originally Posted by jmargraves View Post
    Lol..wtf just happened?
    The internet just happened, you should go in the corner until it's over.

I really don't care about who outsells who. It's just like music these days. You can have an amazing band only sell 20,000 copies of an album in its first week, when someone like Lil' Wayne or One Direction top those sales X5 and higher with a shit album. Sales do not determine quality. Also I'm pretty sure we all know which has the better quality as of right now.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by apokolypz View Post
    I really don't care about who outsells who. It's just like music these days. You can have an amazing band only sell 20,000 copies of an album in its first week, when someone like Lil' Wayne or One Direction top those sales X5 and higher with a shit album. Sales do not determine quality. Also I'm pretty sure we all know which has the better quality as of right now.
    We do? Because most of us (maybe even all of us) have yet to see either console outside of the internet, and both systems seem rather good in terms of Hardware, so there's not a steep difference that can lead to one assuming one is "better" than the other, not to mention games are what make the difference in the end, and they're rather even in that department.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Will Love you for Food

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    We do? Because most of us (maybe even all of us) have yet to see either console outside of the internet, and both systems seem rather good in terms of Hardware, so there's not a steep difference that can lead to one assuming one is "better" than the other, not to mention games are what make the difference in the end, and they're rather even in that department.
    You can compare some of the quality stats, now some of this may not be all that informative, but it seems the ps4 has more up its sleeve in just about every department except in a spot or two. History of video game consoles (eighth generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Kankri View Post
    Wat?!?! No Dew?!?!?1111!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast