Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sony only allows 4.5GB of Ram to Devs, 5.5 GB Max.

This is a discussion on Sony only allows 4.5GB of Ram to Devs, 5.5 GB Max. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 you'll notice the difference when the consoles get old. The PS3 is kind of old but ...

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    you'll notice the difference when the consoles get old.
    The PS3 is kind of old but have you seen The Last of Us?

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by CurseShooter View Post
    I am playing it now, some parts are amazing but others not so good, the PS3 is showing its age now and the next generation is coming right on time .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CurseShooter View Post
    muddy textures and no AA while running in 720p?

If you said halo 4 sure. whoever made the Halo 4 engine is a wizard and should be impossible on that hardware.

PRO Member

muddy textures and no AA while running in 720p?

If you said halo 4 sure. whoever made the Halo 4 engine is a wizard and should be impossible on that hardware.
    What?? Are you talking about the cutscenes? Anybody can make pre-rendered cutscenes look amazing

Sig by Bladia

Threat

The Xbox records the last 5 minutes of gameplay, not the last 30 minutes. And the footage can only be saved to the console, there is no place to upload it.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Hey look it's the Sony speculation train again. Just like they're going to have DRM on games, and lock the ID to the controller, and add move to their controllers. Oh wait, that shit didn't happen.

Until it actually comes from somebody who's willing to attach their name to it instead of a "credible developmental source" I declare hearsay and that this article, like most of the rumor articles, holds about as much weight as a bed made of cool whip.
    Totally agree. We've seen so much speculation for the PS4 and Xbox One, that I'm pretty sure someone could come up with an interesting fairy tale to tell their grandchildren someday.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Like all Ps360 threads, this one inevitably ended up nowhere near where it started...

A quick glance at my post may alarm you. You may think "why the hell did that arrogant asshole write all this crap?"

Well dear reader, firstly, I was pretty bored.
    Secondly, and more importantly though, I'm getting a little sick and tired of so many people fighting and arguing over stuff that they clearly don't understand.
    So please: read this, absorb the information, and then feel free to bicker amongst yourselves.

1) - Both consoles (Xbox One and PlayStation 4) have 3gb of RAM reserved for the OS.

This is actually quite a lot of resources for an OS, especially given that it's for a console. Console OSs are, typically, bare-bones; the absolute minimum so as to maximise hardware efficiency. The implication from 3gb being reserved for next-gen OSs is that they will be drastically different to what we're used to now, and that's pretty exciting. We can expect things like multi-tasking and quicker load-times, as well as features previously unthinkable on current-gen systems.

When you get into the nitty-gritty of it, however, the PlayStation 4 unquestionably comes out on top. Why? Because the PlayStation 4 has only a single OS, while the Xbox One has three. To borrow an awful, awful analogy: Sony gives one starving, disease-ridden orphan three slices of pizza, while Microsoft gives three similarly destitute and parentless children a single slice each. Who will be more satisfied?

Now obviously this is mostly speculation at this point; we've seen almost nothing of the OSs from either consoles, only promises of things to come, but nonetheless we should all be excited for how significant the leap is going to be from current to next-gen.

To put things in perspective, the PlayStation 3 opperates with 512mb of RAM, with 50mb reserved for the OS.

The other important thing to remember is that these numbers are not final. Sony has always made every effort to improve upon its consoles during their life-span, most notably by releasing slimmer, more efficient itterations. What you may not know, however, is that the OS of the PlayStation 3 was also improved. Originally, the OS demanded 120mb of the 512 available mb of RAM. Back in 2010, Sony improved on the PlayStation 3's OS, reducing its footprint to just 50mb - that's almost a 60% increase in efficiency!

Source.

2) - 4.5gb (PS4) vs. 5gb (Xbox One) of RAM for Games

Reading the thread title, I knew it'd be a Ps360 thread - so much spin and so much opinion in so few words.

Let's break it down: the PlayStation 4 makes available a minimum of 4.5gb of RAM for developers to use, while the Xbox One offers 5gb. At this point, a reasonable assumption would be that the Xbox One is ahead because it offers an extra 512mb. There are a few problems with this, though:

First, the types of RAM being used by each console are different. The PlayStation 4 uses GDDR5 (the type of RAM found only in the latest and greatest Graphics Cards), while the Xbox One uses DDR3 (the type typically found in your ordinary home PC). Each type has advantages over the other. For example, GDDR5 is undoubtedly faster and is optimised for graphical throughput, while DDR3 is better for multi-tasking and is optimised for main systems.

Given that consoles are first and foremost gaming systems, not personal computers, the PlayStation 4's GDDR5 comes out ahead.

What about that 512mb gap? I hear you ask. Well...

4.5gb is the minimum amount made available for developers (despite Sony initially claiming that devs would have access to the full 8gb), with an extra 1gb of "flexible" memory that can be used by devs, should they choose to. What you need to understand is, regardless of the extra 1gb, 4.5gb of RAM dedicated for games is enormous. Like, seriously, it's a lot. Games like Battlefield 3, running on maximum settings, use a full 2gb of RAM, plus an extra 1gb for graphics. The PlayStation 3 uses ~450mb. That's mb, not gb.

In the realm of console wars, though, simply saying that 4.5gb is a lot isn't really good enough. If the Xbox One had 4.6gb, people would still proclaim its superiority. This is where I point out the 1gb of "flexible" memory - a whole extra gb of RAM that can be made available, should a dev require it, which would at least bump the PS4 up to equal place with the Xbox One in terms of numeracy.

The PlayStation 4 still comes out on top, though, because of the nature of its RAM. As I stated earlier, GDDR5 is optimised for games, giving the PS4 a significant advantage over the Xbox One, which packs DDR3 (GDDR5's fatter, dumber cousin).

3) - Games Recording

.com's resident nintendo fan, and permanent occupant of his parents' basement (conveniently located beneath a bridge) also tagged on a quip about the next gen consoles' ability to video capture. He stated (without source, as of yet) that the PlayStation 4 "can only" record the last 7 minutes of video, while the Xbox one can record the last thirty.

Putting aside the editorialising of facts and complete disregard for impartiality, I can certainly see how this would be a point in Microsoft's favour.
    After all, 7 minutes is not a lot of time, and recording the last half-hour is much more convenient.

Here's why you shouldn't give a shit:

First, video recording, especially high-definition video, demands a lot of hard-drive space. A lot. For a period of 15 minutes, it would range from around 1.5gb (low bitrate, mono or 2.0 channel lossy audio) to 12gb (high bitrate, 5.1 channel lossless audio).

The PS4 has an inbuilt 500gb hard-drive, but while that might sound like a lot, it really isn't.

First, some of that will be reserved for the OS - anyone that has bothered to check the available space on a hard-drive will know this.
    On a PS3, for example, there is about 465gb of available space on a 500gb hard-drive.
    Secondly, Sony will be aggressively pushing consumers towards digital sales, meaning your hard-drive is going to be chock-full of games, movies, and other media very quickly (thankfully the hard-drive is upgradeable).

Capturing and editing video will eat into that space, and the longer the console captures for, the more space it will consume, and the less will be available for you to use.

The Xbox One's hard-drive cannot be upgraded. Instead, it offers you the 'cloud'. For those with high-speed internet and unlimited bandwidth, the cloud is a great option. You can upload as much as you'd like (unless Microsoft put a limit on it), and you can retrieve it quickly and without incident. If you aren't blessed with blisteringly fast and unlimited internet, however, you're pretty fucked. That compulsory 30 minutes of recording time will eat into your physical storage space, and there's nothing you can do about it.

By recording less, the PlayStation 4's hardware won't be as taxed, and you'll have more space on your hard-drive.

Oh, also this:
    The Xbox One actually only records the last 5 minutes of gameplay, not 30, and that the PlayStation 4 actually records 15 minutes, not 7.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

X1 only records the last 5 minutes of gameplay while PS4 constantly records the last 15 minutes of gameplay. Both these times have been confirmed so whoever said X1 does 30 minutes is feeding you all crap.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

you have to understand something about sony. it seems you are XBOX fan, anyway i dont care. what i care of is delivering this to you and to the mind of thousand of people who care about figures.

we all knew that Xbox 360 memory offer better chances for developer, but PS3 exclusive titles proven its better by miles than Xbox 360.

so its up to the developers who can do what ever they want to milk the out of the PS4 as

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty lady, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy, I'm a dirty birdy
    Why the hell did this arrogant asshole write all that crap
    Thanks for writing that up and educating the masses Faust!
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Game Review Team

Quote Originally Posted by ooga View Post
    Why the hell did this arrogant asshole write all that crap!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Faust's points
    I think a lot of the Memory use will be tied up for the whole game resuming features and smooth interface I do agree its a fair bit more as I only figured it would be between 1 and 2GB used rest for the games.
    Hopefully this is just really old info and theyve already shrunk how much memory the OS uses.

Internal Sony documents suggest that 4.5GB is the “baseline amount of guaranteed memory available” for games, but that the additional 1GB of “flexible memory” can be used by devs to “boost elements of the game” as long as the memory isn’t needed by PlayStation 4’s OS. PS4 dev kits currently contain a “Game Memory Budget Mode” that offers “normal” and “large” options, with normal allowing for 4.5GB of memory usage by games, while “large” boosts that number to 5.25GB
    I think the 1GB flexible memory I think will most likely be if its a PS eye game or not that could make it viable to use, hopefully it ends up being 2GB OS/features and 6GB for the games side of things however.

Lvl 8 - Gold

What people, other than Faust, keep forgetting is that the 2 consoles use different RAM. Isn't Sony's GDDR5 better than Xbox's DDR3 regardless of the .5 GB difference? And if the PS4 can use that extra RAM then this is a non-issue.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    What?? Are you talking about the cutscenes? Anybody can make pre-rendered cutscenes look amazing
    The cutscenes arn't pre-rendered except for the ending one obviously

the entire gameplay/Cutscenes are entirely in-game.

it has a bunch of advanced features that PC currently has while having FxAA and Native 720p. it's amazing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ndry-vs-halo-4

Lvl 4 - Silver

It doesn't matter what console you are on. Most of the Dev's have said that 4GB Ram for games would be plenty and I am happy to see the 3-3.5GB running the operating system. It allows many other operations to be done in the background of playing a game which gives you more time to do what you want rather than sit around and wait for something that is now possible. At the end of the life cycle I don't think we will see much of a difference between the two consoles.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Update:

Sony has issued a statement:
    We would like to clear up a misunderstanding regarding our "direct" and "flexible" memory systems. The article states that "flexible" memory is borrowed from the OS, and must be returned when requested - that's not actually the case.

The actual true distinction is that:

• "Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
    • "Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.
    Source.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Update:

Sony has issued a statement:

We would like to clear up a misunderstanding regarding our "direct" and "flexible" memory systems. The article states that "flexible" memory is borrowed from the OS, and must be returned when requested - that's not actually the case.

The actual true distinction is that:

• "Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
    • "Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.

Source.
    Congratulations! You all have been trolled for the 1,000th time by ps360. As a reward, here's some friendly advice! "Don't believe the hearsay and bullshit until it becomes official, or you will look like a jackass who jumps to conclusions without conclusive information. Making both you, and the website, look like idiots!" You're welcome, and good day, here's hoping that the 2,000th baiting attempt, is later, rather than sooner.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

Congratulations! You all have been trolled for the 1,000th time by ps360. As a reward, here's some friendly advice! "Don't believe the hearsay and bullshit until it becomes official, or you will look like a jackass who jumps to conclusions without conclusive information. Making both you, and the website, look like idiots!" You're welcome, and good day, here's hoping that the 2,000th baiting attempt, is later, rather than sooner.

I posted a news article about ram usage to be informative, it's obviously trolling.

if you get "trolled" by retarded shit like this you deserve it honestly.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I posted a news article about ram usage to be informative, it's obviously trolling.

if you get "trolled" by retarded shit like this you deserve it honestly.
    Defending your source as if they're "dependable" and as if it's likely true, is. Posting information isn't the problem, it's your tactics in which you go about supporting it blindly and objectively as long as it is catered to your own opinion.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

Defending your source as if they're "dependable" and as if it's likely true, is. Posting information isn't the problem, it's your tactics in which you go about supporting it blindly and objectively as long as it is catered to your own opinion.
    when in the entire thread have i ever gotten like this?

I don't even have a xbox one pre-ordered and i have a PS4 Pre-ordered. I am hoping sony wins next gen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast