Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sony only allows 4.5GB of Ram to Devs, 5.5 GB Max.

This is a discussion on Sony only allows 4.5GB of Ram to Devs, 5.5 GB Max. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I guess it's too late for "Let's wait and see"?...

Negator

I guess it's too late for "Let's wait and see"?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Saw this point made elsewere that I agreed with, I figured I'd share

So right now we dont really know the facts behind it. But the worst (if you wish to call it that) outcome at the minute is the minimum 4.5gb ram.

This sounds like more of a safety net method from Sony, if its true. By having the buffer of 512mb/1gb of ram to go either way to the os or game, sony have room to manouver

So why is this useful? Well imagine that M$ (Or heaven forbid, nintendo) come out with some fancy new os feature, sony has the space to copy this, with the excess ram this wont affect game performance

It just seems like planning ahead to me

Deathless Destroyer

4-5 GB of memory, not DDR3 but GDDR5, is massive and IMO more than is necessary. The most taxing games on settings you don't even and won't ever need in anyone's lifetime (2000p, 120 FPS, multiple-screen, super-mega-ultra lighting settings - for people who theoretically want a vase of flowers to fly) take up around 4 GB of GDDR5 memory, so this is way more than is necessary for the PS4, which plays games at a realistic setting (1080p, decent framerate, good quality etc). Sony reserving 7GB for games in the first place was over the top.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123