Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sony only allows 4.5GB of Ram to Devs, 5.5 GB Max.

This is a discussion on Sony only allows 4.5GB of Ram to Devs, 5.5 GB Max. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PlayStation 4 gives up to 5.5GB of RAM to game developers • News • Eurogamer.net PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of ...

INTJ

Sony only allows 4.5GB of Ram to Devs, 5.5 GB Max.

PlayStation 4 gives up to 5.5GB of RAM to game developers • News • Eurogamer.net

PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of its 8GB GDDR5 memory for the operating system, leaving 4.5GB of space for game code, according to current PlayStation 4 documentation shown to Digital Foundry by a well-placed development source. However, further sources suggest that an additional 1GB of "flexible memory" may be reclaimed from the OS reservation, based on availability.

Sony's internal docs say that 4.5GB is the baseline amount of guaranteed memory available for game-makers (note the memory usage of the Killzone: Shadow Fall demo) and most likely what the lion's share of launch titles will be using. However, other sources close to Sony indicate that developers can request up to an additional gigabyte of "flexible memory", and use it to boost elements of the game - but only if the background OS can spare it. We're told that incorporating this isn't trivial, and it may well be that to begin with only first-party developers target its usage.

Xbox one Comparison: Xbox One allows 5 GBs max for Ram. so without the flexible memory upgrade that sacrifices some background os features, it actually gives less ram than the xbox one.

also while the ps4 can only record 7 minutes of footage before it deletes it, The Xbox one can record 30 minutes of footage before it deletes it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Wonder what happened to 7GB and 15 minute video recording? lol.

The news that the PS4's OS reservation is in the same ballpark as Xbox One's equivalent 3GB allocation is sure to surprise many, especially bearing in mind that previously leaked Sony docs have only spoken of a 512MB allocation for the system software - though this information hails from the era where the new PlayStation was slated to ship with only 4GB of memory.
    Its strange that guesstimates would go from 512mb to 2.5-3.5GB for the OS all of a sudden.
    Last edited by Waystedyou; 07-26-2013 at 12:31 PM.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Wonder what happened to 7GB and 15 minute video recording? lol.
    It was a rumor or Sony lying.

Pick one

PRO Member

I'd rather have less RAM than get an XBOx one

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Allenbird View Post
    This should be a PS4 commercial.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Allenbird View Post
    Sony's PS4 Campaign 2014.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

It's still an argument of GDDR3 vs GDDR5. I'd gladly trade 0.5GB of RAM for the speed increase.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

PRO Member

This is all nonsense and I'm pretty sure it won't have any effect what so ever...

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Hey look it's the Sony speculation train again. Just like they're going to have DRM on games, and lock the ID to the controller, and add move to their controllers. Oh wait, that shit didn't happen.

Until it actually comes from somebody who's willing to attach their name to it instead of a "credible developmental source" I declare hearsay and that this article, like most of the rumor articles, holds about as much weight as a bed made of cool whip.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Hey look it's the Sony speculation train again. Just like they're going to have DRM on games, and lock the ID to the controller, and add move to their controllers. Oh wait, that shit didn't happen.

Until it actually comes from somebody who's willing to attach their name to it instead of a "credible developmental source" I declare hearsay and that this article, like most of the rumor articles, holds about as much weight as a bed made of cool whip.
    Couldn't agree more. It could be just some random guy who has no clue what he/she is talking about

Sig by Bladia

Bringing the PAIN

Rubicant don't you know by now? The rumor mill is where PS360 gets his info. The 1in3 that are right make everything correct!

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It could be just some random guy who has no clue what he/she is talking about
    Eurogamers DF Is known to be the technical side of the site. They talk about tons of hardware, Framerate, performance, etc. about everything.

They have tech sources. Literally anyone with a devkit can leak it, considering the fact that sony is giving them out like candy.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Who cares.. all bullshit. It's going to be like 10 times better than the PS3 so who gives a fuck.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Can anyone explain what this actually means? I don't speak computing jargon.

Rangers F.C

It does not matter anyway, if Microsoft has a slightly higher RAM and Sony is slightly faster, it will result in the games looking exactly the same across both consoles . The games so far look amazing across both platforms, so will only get better . Its time to stop this sad debate, they are both going to be amazing console and I plan on getting both, roll on launch day .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    It means .......................... fuck all that you would notice, I don't speak jargon either though .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    It means .......................... fuck all that you would notice, I don't speak jargon either though .
    I assume its more powerful than the ps3 as well as being faster, so that's all that really matters to me. I just noticed this article a while ago and the fanboys were all in an uproar and I just don't understand or really care that much. Just curious as to whether its a big deal or not. I figure not and its getting blown out of proportion.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    Imagine sony buys you a 8 piece pizza.

He says you can only have 4-5 pieces depending on how hungry sony is.

kinda bad comparison, but you'll notice the difference when the consoles get old.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    you'll notice the difference when the consoles get old.
    We wont have to worry about that with the Wii-U.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Imagine sony buys you a 8 piece pizza.

He says you can only have 4-5 pieces depending on how hungry sony is.

kinda bad comparison, but you'll notice the difference when the consoles get old.
    This is quite possibly the WORST comparison I have ever seen... Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    We wont have to worry about that with the Wii-U.
    Why cuz we already see it now?

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast