Sony is going to launch a Online TV service on PS4 to Rival Google and others.

This is a discussion on Sony is going to launch a Online TV service on PS4 to Rival Google and others. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Report: Sony to launch online TV service on PS4 by end of year | Joystiq Sony plans to launch an ...

INTJ

Sony is going to launch a Online TV service on PS4 to Rival Google and others.

Report: Sony to launch online TV service on PS4 by end of year | Joystiq

Sony plans to launch an online, paid TV service by the end of the year, poised to hit the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and high-definition TVs, the Wall Street Journal reports. Sony has inked a deal with Viacom, the American media company, to carry Viacom cable channels on an internet-based TV service for Sony products, the report says.

Sony intends to stream on-demand programming and cable channels online, and the service includes a "recommended programming" feature, partly influenced by content providers and partly based on an algorithm of a user's viewing habits, the site says.

Viacom's channels include MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Logo, VH1 and Spike. On June 26, Sony renewed a trademark for "PlayStation TV," covering hardware and streaming services.

(For those that don't know, google fiber offers tv package too)

i thought sony was making the PS4 a game console, not a entertainment box?

But whatever, one more thing that cuts off my Money to comcast.

Chocobo Master

So am guessing this will be mostly for some European countries and all of North America. So many great things are being added to the PS4 but yet some people still don't see that most of these services doesn't mean crap if it isn't a worldwide service. Sony is turning into $ony to the point were Microsoft isn't Micro$oft but NSA-soft now.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hawk-chan View Post
    So am guessing this will be mostly for some European countries and all of North America. So many great things are being added to the PS4 but yet some people still don't see that most of these services doesn't mean crap if it isn't a worldwide service. Sony is turning into $ony to the point were Microsoft isn't Micro$oft but NSA-soft now.
    blame copyright laws and tv studio retardation

PRO Member

I hope this isn't just for North America, we'll see.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Didn't they say Sony pictures were making series and stuff etc for the playstation only at E3? or else I remember something similar to that being said.

Kid, not loser

How is not making it a world wide service make it mean crap? If Netflix does not work in all countries should they not add it to the system for the countries it would work in?

TGS is around the corner bud, wait till then for more announcements.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Chocobo Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    How is not making it a world wide service make it mean crap? If Netflix does not work in all countries should they not add it to the system for the countries it would work in?

TGS is around the corner bud, wait till then for more announcements.
    It seems like Sony has mostly the American gamers in mind. When I had my PS3, some of the services that were on my U.S account could never function because of the region I was in. Then I asked a long time friend of mines that is station on an U.S base to see if those services work on his PS3 and sure enough they did.

With all these added features to the PS4, why not just get a PC?

I call it crap because it seems like $ony is trying to replace your current cable provider with the PS4.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 6 - Silver

It seems like Sony has mostly the American gamers in mind. When I had my PS3, some of the services that were on my U.S account could never function because of the region I was in. Then I asked a long time friend of mines that is station on an U.S base to see if those services work on his PS3 and sure enough they did.

With all these added features to the PS4, why not just get a PC?

I call it crap because it seems like $ony is trying to replace your current cable provider with the PS4.
    My PS3 has already replaced my cable provider. I have Netflix and Hulu plus. Its a good thing that they are adding more options.

PRO Member

I haven't watched television for about 10 years (since the late 90's it's just been alot of channels with nothing I want to watch). What I do watch is anime off the internet, and DVDs of television shows I like. Honestly this feature does little to nothing for me, but I can see how it would be useful to people who wish to get rid of their cable service provider.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

Negator

It seems like Sony has mostly the American gamers in mind.
    It sucks, I know. The United States is a consumer nation...

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

INTJ

the best part about this whole thing is how xbox one used a second hdmi port as a feature saying you can connect your cable box into your Xbox one to watch tv without switching channels.

so if the sony IPTV is successful, guess what every xbox one user will most likely buy for a cable box.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I will stick with DirecTV. This feature is useless to me and I am sure there will be many more who will feel the same. The XBone HDMI port is more useful to me than this. I don't care about MTV or Nick tv or whatever else Viacom has to offer me, I just hope this doesn't increase the price of PS+ after a year or 2.
    Playstation 4 day one
    Xbox One day one

Chocobo Master

Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I can see Rupert Murdoch going ballistic over this news, as it's really going to screw FOX.

Even if this news only applies to the USA ATM, the writing is on the wall for cable providers world wide.

There is currently a huge national upgrade going on of Australia's internet superstructure to ultra high band.
    This was brought into being by the current Labor party.
    Australia is about to have a election, and the opposing Liberal party has said it want's to basically water the roll out down.
    Rupert Murdoch has ordered all his news outlets in Australia to be vehemently anti Labor, obviously in the hope that if the Liberals get voted in he can persuade them to water it down even more, if not actually stopping it.

Chocobo Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

Even if this news only applies to the USA ATM, the writing is on the wall for cable providers world wide.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that. We have 2 major cable providers here in Japan and for $ony to get into the business of being a cable provider here then they have to pay a huge entrance fee.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Kid, not loser

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. We have 2 major cable providers here in Japan and for $ony to get into the business of being a cable provider here then they have to pay a huge entrance fee.
    Then that is why they won't do it in Japan. Simple as that. Not exactly Sony's fault if it is too difficult to get the service in Japan when others won't allow them too. You just answered the argument you have been trying to present.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Chocobo Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Then that is why they won't do it in Japan. Simple as that. Not exactly Sony's fault if it is too difficult to get the service in Japan when others won't allow them too. You just answered the argument you have been trying to present.
    Wasn't really trying to make an argument about but I was kinda annoyed a little how the U.S gets good stuff but yet so many gamers complain about getting more.
    Come and Join Us!!!

The Site Mascot

Definitely trumps the Xbox One's motion controlled Cable Guide. This was what I was thinking when I heard TV features. Hell I had the idea that Sony should do this and what do you know they are.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

Negator

I was kinda annoyed a little how the U.S gets good stuff but yet so many gamers complain about getting more.
    Self-entitled children.

I've always been envious of JP game releases since Western releases are hit or miss for me.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay