PS4 Has the Hardware Advantage due to hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access]

This is a discussion on PS4 Has the Hardware Advantage due to hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access] within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS4 has huMA, Xbox One doesn't, 3D performance way better apparently -- PlayStation Universe PlayStation 4 incorporates hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform ...

INTJ

PS4 Has the Hardware Advantage due to hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access]

PS4 has huMA, Xbox One doesn't, 3D performance way better apparently -- PlayStation Universe

PlayStation 4 incorporates hUMA [Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access] from AMD, which apparently gives Sony’s hardware a significant advantage over Xbox One.

According to a German I.T magazine, translated here, it means that the 3D performance of the PS4 is way ahead of Xbox One. The news was sourced from AMD's Senior Product Marketing Manager Marc Diana.

We’re not particularly technical at PSU but we know a guy who is...

Explaining what hUMA means for PS4, DoesUS says:

"On a classical system you have a RAM pool and a VRAM pool that are physically separated. Copying data from one pool to the other creates latency. The GPU is very good ad hiding latency. What it needs most is high bandwidth. The CPU on the other hand is extremely sensitive to latency. The CPU needs extremely low latency to work efficiently. Copying data from the RAM (CPU) to the VRAM (GPU) creates latency, but that's okay for the GPU. Copying data from RAM (CPU) to VRAM (GPU) and back to the RAM (CPU) creates even more latency. It's too much for the CPU. The copying alone takes longer than the computation wich makes this roundtrip highly ineffective.

Xbox360 and older APUs have a unified RAM. This means that the RAM is no longer physically separated, but even though it's the same RAM chips, the system still distinct between memory partition for the different processors. You still need to copy the data between CPU partition and GPU partition, but this will be much more efficient than copying it between physically separated pools. But it's still too much latency for a CPU, GPU, CPU roundtrip.

PS4 will have hUMA wich means that you no longer need a distinction between CPU partition and GPU partition. Both processors can use the same pieces of data at the same time. You don't need to copy stuff and this allows for completely new algorithms that utilize CPU and GPU at the same time. This is interesting since a GPU is very strong, but extremely dumb. A CPU is extremely smart, but very weak. Since you can utilize both processors at the same time for a single task you have a system that is extremely smart and extremely strong at the same time.

It will allow for an extreme boost for many, many algorithms and parts of algorithms. On top of that it will allow for completely new classes of algorithms. This is a game changer.”

We guess the proof will be in the pudding when we actually get to spend time with these consoles, and PlayStation 4 will have the first bite of the cherry when it launches in November.

Where's the 1080p 60 FPS games sony

you have the hardware capable of this. battlefield 4 on ps4 is proof of this

PRO Member

Good news then! only i don't play games in 3d, but watch movies with it from time to time. Thought all next gen games was 1080p? they realy need to take the step and use the tech.

PRO Member

Umm....what does this all mean?

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverinefangirl View Post
    Umm....what does this all mean?
    It means the PS4 is strong enough to run just about anything in 1080p at 60FPS (which should be the standard), but most games announced for it haven't stated this as a selling point.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I hope the 3D gaming performance is better for the PS4, it's pretty poor with the PS3.

I can play Wipeout HD in 3D in single player OK, but going online while in 3D is just a exercise in frustration due to controller input lag from the frames being halved.
    Uncharted 3, which I was looking forward to playing in 3D, was unplayable due to the worse headache inducing ghosting I have ever suffered.
    Same thing with Enslaved - Odessy to the west
    Killzone 3, is playable in 3D, but still ghosting is a problem.
    Superstardust HD in 3D looks and plays great, the only problem there is that in 3D you perceive that some enemies are either above or below you and you can miss then, where in fact they are all in the same plan, result = Death.

The ironic thing is that Sony was sprouting that Gaming in 3D would get people into 3D as a whole, where the fact is, Gaming in 3D is where it is at it's weakest.

I have nearly 50 3D movies that I play via my PS3, and very few of them show even 5% of the picture problems of 3D gaming on the PS3.

I hope the PS4 can make 3D gaming a more realist prospect, as when it works it is really engrossing experience.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Vettes View Post
    It means the PS4 is strong enough to run just about anything in 1080p at 60FPS (which should be the standard), but most games announced for it haven't stated this as a selling point.
    From what I read it meant it can stream textures far easier than the xbox one no more texture pop like in ps3, not to mention the GPU is already more powerful which would be the frame rate and resolutions.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    From what I read it meant it can stream textures far easier than the xbox one no more texture pop like in ps3, not to mention the GPU is already more powerful which would be the frame rate and resolutions.
    Does this mean UE4 wont have to load textures for 15 seconds like UE3?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Does this mean UE4 wont have to load textures for 15 seconds like UE3?
    Yeah it should help with games like RAGE, and battlefield 3 used to have it heaps on release they kind of managed it a bit as life went on, but it should mean texture pop is a thing of the past, the hardware itself should have already negated a lot of this but it should most likely stop that kind of thing happening again at the end of the console cycle as they push the hardware more than release window games.

Edit: I was reading an article about this from neogaf so some of the things I said differ from this article. but basically
    Back in April, AMD manager Phil Rogers explained to c't that hUMA improves 3D-performance in particular. "Game developers have been eager to use very large textures for years. Until now they had to resort to tricks in order to package parts of larger textures into smaller textures. That is because today a texture has to be located in a special place of physical memory before the GPU can process it. With hUMA, applications can work with textures much more efficiently". AMD will give more details on hUMA at its upcoming developer conference in November.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657221

Sony with a good sense of hUMA.

I am certainly suprised there arent as many [email protected] games being shown since DICE have done it unless its just because frostbite is very good at being scaled back from max performance on PC and some of the Sony only devs are still finding ways to upscale since they are more used to working at a PS3/Vita level of game but hopefully most of the first party games will be pushed to 60fps 1080 by release.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Yeah it should help with games like RAGE, and battlefield 3 used to have it heaps on release they kind of managed it a bit as life went on, but it should mean texture pop is a thing of the past, the hardware itself should have already negated a lot of this but it should most likely stop that kind of thing happening again at the end of the console cycle as they push the hardware more than release window games.
    Hope this turns out to be the truth, texture pop-in on RAGE made me feel like my eyes were being clawed out

I make lego out of you!

nice bit of info there, can't wait for the console
    Making plat cards

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I hope the 3D gaming performance is better for the PS4, it's pretty poor with the PS3.
    I'm pretty sure the "3D" being referred to here is three-dimensional gaming, not perspective. In other words, not a 2D plane of animation. They've already all but abandoned 3D gaming, only saying that 3D will look better on PS4, so it should play movies just fine, but with no BC, there's no way to check games in 3D until they launch the Gaikai service. And there's been no mention of any games supporting 3D. GG has been silent on whether or not Killzone: Shadow Fall will be in 3D, as well as Ubisoft with AC4. That would be an extreme fail, if AC4 on PS3 was in 3D, but not on PS4. Guess we'll find out later this year.

On-topic, this is awesome news. Just one more way that the PS4 is more efficient/powerful than the Xbone. Can't wait to see what kinds of gaming experiences we get with this new hardware.

Du wirst geil

We all knew sooner or later some tid-bit of info was going to trickle into our laps concerning the CPU/GPU output/management. It was only a matter of time and then to top it off, it sends a huge message to Microsoft that Sony have done their homework, not to mention threw the gauntlet down. Batter up! One more strike against the Xbone and Microsoft will be done even before the next-gen is even here. And that really is a shame.

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    PS4 has huMA, Xbox One doesn't, 3D performance way better apparently -- PlayStation Universe

Where's the 1080p 60 FPS games sony

you have the hardware capable of this. battlefield 4 on ps4 is proof of this
    Apparently Bf4 on the ps4 at gamescom was only running at 720p upscale to 1080 but dice haven't finalised it yet.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/08/23/battlefield-4-runs-at-720p-on-ps4-dashes-hopes-of-a-1080p-generation/

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post

I can play Wipeout HD in 3D in single player OK, but going online while in 3D is just a exercise in frustration due to controller input lag from the frames being halved.
    Uncharted 3, which I was looking forward to playing in 3D, was unplayable due to the worse headache inducing ghosting I have ever suffered.
    Same thing with Enslaved - Odessy to the west
    Killzone 3, is playable in 3D, but still ghosting is a problem.
    Superstardust HD in 3D looks and plays great, the only problem there is that in 3D you perceive that some enemies are either above or below you and you can miss then, where in fact they are all in the same plan, result = Death.

The ironic thing is that Sony was sprouting that Gaming in 3D would get people into 3D as a whole, where the fact is, Gaming in 3D is where it is at it's weakest.

I have nearly 50 3D movies that I play via my PS3, and very few of them show even 5% of the picture problems of 3D gaming on the PS3.

I hope the PS4 can make 3D gaming a more realist prospect, as when it works it is really engrossing experience.
    I hope so too, I think when done right 3D offers a level of immersion that's unmatched . Doom 3 BFG edition is the finest taste of what is possible in the 3D world, other games however loose so much resolution it just spoils the experience IMO . People would say 3D is just a gimmick and has no place in gaming and to a certain extent I agree, the thing is when done right it adds so much to gaming . I think it boils down to taste, if you like 3D movies you would be more likely want to game in 3D, if it were to a decent standard .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

hUMA means hetero UMA?

Good thing no one on this site has heard that before

********More like homo UMA
    Avy by DaRe_xLw