PS4 download speed

This is a discussion on PS4 download speed within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I was just wondering if anyone knows how fast the ps4 will be able to download data. I currently have ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

PS4 download speed

I was just wondering if anyone knows how fast the ps4 will be able to download data. I currently have a 60mbps internet plan and can DL a gig in about 5 min. My PC (which is three years old) DLS a gig in 2-3 min.

Negator

I assume it'll be able to handle a full T1.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I imagine download speed of content will be determined as it is now, by the usage of the PSN/PStore at the time.

If some hot new games arrive at the PStore and everybody is trying to download them around the same time, the load on the PStore will slow the download, irrespective of your internet speed.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm sorry, are you complaining that 20GB/Hour is slow?
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    And I thought my 4-6GB/hour was fast! well on PS3 anyways

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I imagine download speed of content will be determined as it is now, by the usage of the PSN/PStore at the time.

If some hot new games arrive at the PStore and everybody is trying to download them around the same time, the load on the PStore will slow the download, irrespective of your internet speed.
    Well, of course.

Kinda like if the speed limit on the freeway is 70, but there's a traffic jam...

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    No aspect of my question is a complaint. I just want my full potential of my internet. That's why I pay for that speed. Nice try though!

The Incredible Marccap

At the games com event they stated they will be joining forces with internet providers to provide speeds up to 200 I believe with the PS4

Add Me on PSN - Marccap

illegal in 9 countries

The PS4 has gigabit ethernet which is 1000 Mbps, or roughly 125 MB/s. That assumes you're using wired connection for your PS4. If you're connecting wirelessly, the bottleneck will be the WiFi protocol of your router, so wire that sucker up.

In theory, gigabit ethernet should be able download a 1GB file in 8 seconds. In practice, gigabit is typically around 1/4 to 1/2 that speed, which is still ridonculously fast and should snag a 1GB file in less than 30 secs.

Your internet plan is 60 Mbps or about 7.5 MB/s. At maximum throughput, you should be able to download 1GB in just over 2 mins. In reality, you're getting less than half that speed if it takes 5 mins.

In other words, the PS4 is a fuck-tonne faster than your internet is capable of downloading...you have nothing to worry about.

I, on the other hand, have a shithouse DSL connection that maxes out at 500KB/s, so I hate your fucking guts

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The PS4 has gigabit ethernet which is 1000 Mbps, or roughly 125 MB/s. That assumes you're using wired connection for your PS4. If you're connecting wirelessly, the bottleneck will be the WiFi protocol of your router, so wire that sucker up.

In theory, gigabit ethernet should be able download a 1GB file in 8 seconds. In practice, gigabit is typically around 1/4 to 1/2 that speed, which is still ridonculously fast and should snag a 1GB file in less than 30 secs.

Your internet plan is 60 Mbps or about 7.5 MB/s. At maximum throughput, you should be able to download 1GB in just over 2 mins. In reality, you're getting less than half that speed if it takes 5 mins.

In other words, the PS4 is a fuck-tonne faster than your internet is capable of downloading...you have nothing to worry about.

I, on the other hand, have a shithouse DSL connection that maxes out at 500KB/s, so I hate your fucking guts
    That's the answer I was looking for. Except for the last sentence. Thanks though! Also I know all the pains of having DSL. Had it from 2008 till June this year. I had to upgrade.