You Can Fully Install Disc-Based Games onto HDD

This is a discussion on You Can Fully Install Disc-Based Games onto HDD within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; A few days ago SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida caused a bit of confusion about the installation of disc-based ...

Drunken Nights

You Can Fully Install Disc-Based Games onto HDD

A few days ago SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida caused a bit of confusion about the installation of disc-based games on the PS4, by saying “you cannot install a disk version onto HDD.” He meant that the only way to play a game without the disc in the drive will be to use a digital copy but the sentence didn’t come out as intended, probably due to the language barrier.

Today he confirmed that users will indeed be able to fully install disc-based games on the PS4′s hard disk, but they’ll still have to keep the disc in the drive for verification.

https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/373351063358672896

He also shared a juicy little tidbit of information on the 3.5 mm headphones connector that can be found on the DualShock 4 controller:
    Unlike the 2.5 mm connector built in the Xbox 360′s controller, the one on the Dualshock 4 won’t just be used for voice chat, but instead you’ll be able to select its purpose, switching from voice chat to the game’s audio.

https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/373537955131834368

That’s a quite handy feature, especially when you want to play at night without keeping the whole apartment awake and without being hindered by connecting your headphones to the TV, defeating the purpose of having a wireless controller to begin with. Good thinking there, Sony.

Kiwi Defender

The headphones bit is good news, but it's such a shame the audio quality will probably be very poor.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The headphones bit is good news, but it's such a shame the audio quality will probably be very poor.
    Most likely will be poor audio quality but how awesome would it be if it were at least decent right?

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 9 - Gold

Shu must have been jetlagged with his previous statments like at the gamescom event
    The 3.5m jack thing looks interesting.. I just hope I can still have my headset working with the PS4 lol, Kinda wish we had 3 or 4 USB ports on the front instead of just two.

Gaming since 1985!

I'm excited for the headphone idea. I can deal with crappy quality, as I'm sure better versions will come out. But being able to play late at night at a higher volume without waking up my wife, take my monies good sirs!

PRO Member

Headphone idea is great, I wish they released something like this for PS3.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Whats the point of wasting HDD space if the disc still has to be in the tray???

Lvl 7 - Gold

Faster load times. Faster load times. Faster load times.

I think I forgot to mention faster load times.

It's a non-issue. The XBox 180 was going to force you to do this in some similar fashion. Getting rid of the necessity of the disc leads to buy/install/sell tactics which are counterproductive. Except to Gamestop who would love to sell new copies then buy used for $10 and resell them for $30+, rinse and repeat.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    Faster load times. Faster load times. Faster load times.
    Please give me some proof. I had a 360, installed the necessary "files" from the games on the HDD and I noticed no difference.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by M40A3 View Post
    Please give me some proof. I had a 360, installed the necessary "files" from the games on the HDD and I noticed no difference.
    Play Bayonetta on the PS3 pre-patch, then download the patch and play it again. Then install the game and see the difference. It's very noticeable.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Load times don't bother me but having to wait for a new game i'm dying to play to finish installing pisses me off!

Hopefully it's optional.

I sit right in front of tv anyway so the headphone thing isn't a big deal to me.

Thanks for sharing GHO5T

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist