Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sony to reveal PS4 Virtual Reality headset at TGS

This is a discussion on Sony to reveal PS4 Virtual Reality headset at TGS within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 AKA Sony unveils oculus rift wannabe and claims it was pure innovation i don't trust their ...

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    AKA Sony unveils oculus rift wannabe and claims it was pure innovation

i don't trust their Headset stuff like that since i tried one at a sony store. it was seriously worse then the stuff you do at disney quest
    HMZ-T1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pre-dates the Oculus Rift...who's copying who? The T2 is Sony's second generation 3D headset and will still beat the Rift to market.

I've been waiting for this announcement, it's been rumoured for at least a year now, which is why I bought neither the HMZ-T1, nor the Occulus Rift.

Who's getting one? I am, because why the fuck not? It's the same reason I'll get a Rift IF and only IF Valve launches a Steambox and it supports the Rift.

In related news, anyone remember MS's IllumiRoom projector add-on for the Xbox One? Turns out it was little more than a tech demo and would cost thousands if it ever hit the marketplace.... http://au.gamespot.com/news/microsof...ox-one-6413951

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    HMZ-T1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pre-dates the Oculus Rift...who's copying who? The T2 is Sony's second generation 3D headset and will still beat the Rift to market.
    the sony headset is just a tv built into a pair of plastic.

barely has any tech used in the oculus.

illegal in 9 countries

the sony headset is just a tv built into a pair of plastic.

barely has any tech used in the oculus.
    Sphincter says what now?

The T2 uses two 1280x720 screens, one for each eye, to generate a 3D image and motion sensors to track head movements.
    The Oculus uses two 640x800 screen, one for each eye, to generate a 3D image and motion sensors to track head movements.

Hmm...yep, I see the difference. The Oculus Rift lacks the HD resolution of the Sony headset. Both of them are just TVs built into a piece of plastic...

Do I think the Rift will be better than the TR2? Absolutely! But it requires dedicated developer support to enable the Rift experience rather than generic 3D driver support, whereas the T2 which will likely support every 3D game on the PS4 natively. It'll also cost more than the T2 AND require at least a $1000 PC to use (nothing good costs less than $3000), as opposed to a $400 console.

At the end of the day, a 3D headset is for shits and giggles and I'm not about to blow a few grand on a shit-hot PC for a few laughs. I can tolerate spending few hundred bucks on a headset for the PS4 for a similar experience.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 09-08-2013 at 12:48 AM.

INTJ

Hmm...yep, I see the difference. The Oculus Rift lacks the HD resolution of the Sony headset. Both of them are just TVs built into a piece of plastic...
    the oculus is actually 1080p but whatever you want to believe.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/44...reality-cinema

PRO Member

In related news, anyone remember MS's IllumiRoom projector add-on for the Xbox One? Turns out it was little more than a tech demo and would cost thousands if it ever hit the marketplace.... Microsoft says IllumiRoom tech too expensive for Xbox One - GameSpot.com
    Didn't Sony also showcase something similar in the last year? Not saying that it came first or whatever, but that looked pretty cool too. Can't remember what it was called, but I'd much rather use something like this than a VR helmet

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I bet people felt stupid wearing a motorcycle helmet at first .
    wat.

illegal in 9 countries

Then you can't read specs - Oculus Rift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The developer version of Oculus Rift, the only one currently in existence as a consumer product, runs at 1280x800. Sure, they say the consumer version will run at 1080p, but more than likely, so will the T2. The two year old T1 runs at 720p, hence the comparison between two known entities rather than speculative hearsay.

I'm not saying the T2 is better than the OR, I'm assuming it'll be far from it, but it'll be an affordable alternative for the aforementioned handful of shits and giggles. I'd buy both if I still gave a crap about PC gaming - I'll get back on that bandwagon when Gabe pulls his big fat fingers out and launches his Steam console running a Linux OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Didn't Sony also showcase something similar in the last year? Not saying that it came first or whatever, but that looked pretty cool too. Can't remember what it was called, but I'd much rather use something like this than a VR helmet.
    That was the T1 or a teaser of the T2. Sony doesn't have a silly projector add-on that costs thousands of dollars and will never see the light of day.

A VR headset is a neat, tidy and compact solution that takes up a few inches of headspace, not an entire room. Couple it with a good set of surround-sound cans and you've got immersion up the wahoo, while not disturbing anyone else in your household with a seizure-inducing lightshow.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 09-08-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    What type of danger are we in while playing video games?

No danger at all, unless you go walkabouts . The point is people will get use to it very quickly .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

illegal in 9 countries

A bit more info is coming to light on the the PS4 headset - it will be a separate, new product from the Sony TR line.

The T2 mentioned above is already currently available, at a monumental 999 and features 2 x 720p OLED screens plus 5.1 surround sound built into the headset. The third-generation T3 headset will be launched within the next couple of weeks at a price of 1300 and features 2 x 720p OLED screens plus 7.1 surround sound on board. NEITHER of these is the VR headset planned for the PS4.

Based on the T3 info, I suspect the PlayStation version to be a cut-down version of the HMZ line with 720p screens and *probably* on-board surround sound. To make even the slightest dent in the gamer mindset, the PS4 headset needs to be significantly cheaper than the T2 & T3 models, but will still likely cost more than the PS4 itself.

A good (not cheap shit Turtle Beach quality) wireless surround sound headset alone costs around $300, so unless you've got money to burn and an insatiable appetite for bleeding edge gaming (I'm guilty of that...), it's probably best to give this headset a miss.

It'll be doomed to the same gadget graveyard as motion controls and 3DTVs within a year, so I'll reiterate - VR headsets are for shits and giggles and are not yet a serious replacement for a HDTV, but I'll be getting it regardless and will post my thoughts on it when the time comes...

INTJ

just a reminder that sony has a oculus rift and loves it.

Sony's Yoshida Loves Oculus Rift | The Escapist

then suddenly news that they themself are making a 3d headset

lets pretend that this is a coincidence and they arn't trying to rip someone off once again (Aka the "safe" route sony always does.)

Deathless Destroyer

A good (not cheap shit Turtle Beach quality) wireless surround sound headset alone costs around $300, so unless you've got money to burn and an insatiable appetite for bleeding edge gaming (I'm guilty of that...), it's probably best to give this headset a miss.

It'll be doomed to the same gadget graveyard as motion controls and 3DTVs within a year, so I'll reiterate - VR headsets are for shits and giggles and are not yet a serious replacement for a HDTV, but I'll be getting it regardless and will post my thoughts on it when the time comes...
    Sony's Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset is available for $150 or less and has exceptional sound quality much better than a normal speaker system, doesn't look weird as well as being compatible with everything that has a head/earphone jack and a USB port (which is a lot of things, no Bluetooth unfortunately), has an [albeit terrible, unless I didn't set it up properly] in-built microphone + options for different sound types at the expense of pretty terrible battery-life and a relatively short "connection range" when connected via the USB dongle.

Also, you can't really say that anything is doomed before it comes out and many people have actually tried, though yes, VR headgear is pretty expensive and it really is only good for a few things - it's not going to be the standard for watching or playing stuff.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Sony's Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset is available for $150 or less and has exceptional sound quality much better than a normal speaker system, doesn't look weird as well as being compatible with everything that has a head/earphone jack and a USB port (which is a lot of things, no Bluetooth unfortunately), has an [albeit terrible, unless I didn't set it up properly] in-built microphone + options for different sound types at the expense of pretty terrible battery-life and a relatively short "connection range" when connected via the USB dongle.

Also, you can't really say that anything is doomed before it comes out and many people have actually tried, though yes, VR headgear is pretty expensive and it really is only good for a few things - it's not going to be the standard for watching or playing stuff.
    The Sony Pulse headset is frankly a horrid piece of shit. The audio is tinny, the Pulse gimmick is nothing more than annoying static and it's easily the least comfortable headset I've ever worn in my life. When you have the disposable income to experience decent gear like AstroGaming A50s, then you'll realise your high opinion of the Pulse is jaded by your low expectations and skinny wallet.

VR gear is doomed to obscurity, mark my words whippersnapper. Oculus Rift is leading the charge towards quality, immersive VR, but give it another 20 years to mature (like auto-stereoscopic TV and holographic displays) before we accept it as a primary gaming interface. Until then, it'll be nothing more than a niche product still very much in its infancy.

just a reminder that sony has a oculus rift and loves it.

Sony's Yoshida Loves Oculus Rift | The Escapist

then suddenly news that they themself are making a 3d headset

lets pretend that this is a coincidence and they arn't trying to rip someone off once again (Aka the "safe" route sony always does.)
    Once again, you're fucking dreaming.

The PS Eye pre-dated both the Kinect and Wii wagglesticks for home console motion control, yet somehow, you managed to accuse Sony of copying the Wii, despite tech demos of prototype Move controllers dating back close to a decade.

You said the same with the God-awful Wii U gamepad, which launched 5 years after Sony were showcasing PS3 <> PSP cross-play, not to mention demos of PS3/PS4 <> Vita interaction. Sony releasing an iPad / Android tablet app to extend existing PS3/PSP/PS4/Vita functionality makes more sense than betting the house on a clunky, oversized controller as the primary interface. How's that going for Nintendo?

Sony's launching their THIRD GENERATION 3D headset before the Oculus Rift (which is still in prototype phase) hits the market. Rumours of the PS 3D VR headset pre-date the Oculus Rift Kickstarter campaign, which is why I didn't buy an OR dev kit during the Kickstarter, yet you still have the audacity to claim Sony plays it safe and doesn't innovate. You're a puzzle doodles...
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 09-08-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Lord of all Goat-Men

The PS Eye pre-dated both the Kinect and Wii wagglesticks for home console motion control, yet somehow, you managed to accuse Sony of copying the Wii, despite tech demos of prototype Move controllers dating back close to a decade.

You said the same with the God-awful Wii U gamepad, which launched 5 years after Sony were showcasing PS3 <> PSP cross-play, not to mention demos of PS3/PS4 <> Vita interaction.

Sony's launching their THIRD GENERATION headset before the Oculus Rift hits the market. Rumours of the PS 3D VR headset pre-date the Oculus Rift Kickstarter campaign, yet you still have the audacity to claim Sony plays it safe and doesn't innovate. You're a puzzle doodles...
    It's not his fault, man. This information wasn't included in the post where he pilfered his opinions from.

The Playboy Wikipedia

When I think of VR, I think of that episode of The Simpsons where they're in the future and Lisa's gonna get married to that British guy. They had VR games at Moe's.

Nevertheless, I think I'll pass...for now.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Deathless Destroyer

The Sony Pulse headset is frankly a horrid piece of shit. The audio is tinny, the Pulse gimmick is nothing more than annoying static and it's easily the least comfortable headset I've ever worn in my life. When you have the disposable income to experience decent gear like AstroGaming A50s, then you'll realise your high opinion of the Pulse is jaded by your low expectations and skinny wallet.

VR gear is doomed to obscurity, mark my words whippersnapper. Oculus Rift is leading the charge towards quality, immersive VR, but give it another 20 years to mature (like auto-stereoscopic TV and holographic displays) before we accept it as a primary gaming interface. Until then, it'll be nothing more than a niche product still very much in its infancy.
    I don't have a "skinny wallet", I bought Sony's headset because I didn't want to pay excessive money for something which relays audio and which you can use to chat online. Also the noise-cancelling was worth buying it for me alone on top of the audio-quality. Also I consider it to be a very comfortable headset, though I can understand if it's uncomfortable for you - noone is the same.

Also I was talking about "the now" about the VR headset - I fully expect it to be worth buying in a decade or so.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

illegal in 9 countries

I don't have a "skinny wallet", I bought Sony's headset because I didn't want to pay excessive money for something which relays audio and which you can use to chat online. Also the noise-cancelling was worth buying it for me alone on top of the audio-quality. Also I consider it to be a very comfortable headset, though I can understand if it's uncomfortable for you - noone is the same.
    If money is not a problem, you shoulda tried the A50s, they crap all over the Pulse. My reasoning for buying the Pulse was the same as yours, but I bought the A50s a month later because I couldn't stand the Pulse headset any longer.

Because the Pulse headset is built to a budget (let's say $50 to manufacture based on RRP of $150), it's only slightly better than Turtle Beach junk, but nowhere near on par with AstroGaming. Similarly, a console is only ever slightly better than a minimum specification gaming PC, but nowhere near as good as a high-end gaming rig.

I think we'll find a similar outcome for Sony's PS 3D Headset - it'll be geared more towards low-end, on-head 3DTV emulation (PS360's point) more than the high-end experience the Oculus Rift will eventually bring to the table. That said, if Sony tries to flog this pony at the $1000 mark (remembering the non-gaming Sony T3 3D headset will retail at about $1800 AUD), it's dead before it hits the market. They'll need to sell it at around the $500 or less mark or it won't get the market penetration Sony needs to make it a mainstream device, hence the product quality will suffer.

Also I was talking about "the now" about the VR headset - I fully expect it to be worth buying in a decade or so.
    The main problem with VR, Augmented Reality, Motion Control, Voice Control, Head Tracking, Eye Tracking, Touchscreen and all other logical evolutionary steps for gaming is that gamers are highly resistant to change. It's ironic that an industry driven by technology can be hamstrung by the troglodyte attitude of "No, this is the way I game and I'm not going to change!" that pervades the gaming community. Which is why, in the short term at least, VR is doomed to obscurity - gamers don't see a need for change and won't embrace it until it's a better way to play than they're currently using.

Negator

VR is doomed to obscurity - gamers don't see a need for change and won't embrace it until it's a better way to play than they're currently using.
    Yup. If it aint better than the current standard inputs, what's the point?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Rangers F.C

If the VR does take off, would it be possible to watch 3D movies on it if the head tracking was off ?

illegal in 9 countries

If the VR does take off, would it be possible to watch 3D movies on it if the head tracking was off ?
    Given the PS4 is also a Blu-Ray player and the current & previous generations of the Sony headset support 3D video, you'd have to think 3D movies will be compatible.

I'm also making an educated guess that the headset will have head tracking, based on some of the info coming through of late, like markers on the headset to be tracked by the 3D PS Eye camera - http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/05/sony...on-eye-rumour/

Rangers F.C

Given the PS4 is also a Blu-Ray player, you'd have to think 3D movies will be compatible.

I'm also making an educated guess that the headset will have head tracking, based on some of the info coming through of late, like markers on the headset tracked by the 3D PS Eye camera.
    I really don't see why people would be against VR, I would love it . If it were a solid experience I would be getting it, cost would not really matter to me, I would need to try it out before a purchase though .

illegal in 9 countries

I really don't see why people would be against VR, I would love it . If it were a solid experience I would be getting it, cost would not really matter to me, I would need to try it out before a purchase though .
    We're in the vanguard Paulie. I'll buy anything that even remotely looks like it could enhance the gaming experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast