Planning On Using An Existing Headset With A PS4? Read This

This is a discussion on Planning On Using An Existing Headset With A PS4? Read This within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Yesterday, we received a note from Astro Gaming (whom we've recently spoken with about next-gen audio ) indicating that their ...

Drunken Nights

Planning On Using An Existing Headset With A PS4? Read This

Yesterday, we received a note from Astro Gaming (whom we've recently spoken with about next-gen audio) indicating that their headsets will work for chat on the PlayStation 4… just not right away. This prompted us to dig a little deeper and find out what gaming headset owners can expect on November 15.

The answer we received from Sony is complicated. If you have a Sony-branded PULSE gaming headset (or the elite edition of that product), you will need to wait for a system update coming in the future. It seems that those will not work at all at launch.

Any other headset that relies on bluetooth for chat will not work at all. If you have something that relies on USB for chat (like the Astro mixamps and Astro A50 wireless system), you'll eventually be able to use those. An update will be coming in the future.

Any headset that relies on digital optical for game audio will continue to provide that out of the box. You just won't be able to chat yet.

The situation is similar for the Xbox One. The connector on the controller is completely different, and until Microsoft delivers the adapter it has promised, you won't be able chat using legacy devices. Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will come with a headset in the box, and there's always the option to use the Kinect as a microphone (but if you have dogs or kids, please don't).

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

eh I'm sure mine will work. it plugs in and stuff.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Forget I Was Ever Here

Well glad to know my $200 headset will still work

It is time for me to go underground

Kiwi Defender

Good thing I'm not buying one at launch, then. Hopefuly by the time I do, my headset will be supported and work.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Fight the Future

Sucks that I won't be able to use any of my Astro headsets for chat but at least I'll be able to use them for audio. Hopefully the patch doesn't take long to get released.

O_o

Looks like my headset paid for itself again.

PRO Member

So my sony bluetooth won't work. that sucks.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Lvl 1 - Bronze

yeah... it sucks

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    Sucks that I won't be able to use any of my Astro headsets for chat but at least I'll be able to use them for audio. Hopefully the patch doesn't take long to get released.
    At least we're getting word from the horse's mouth that the A50's will be patched. A simple firmware update post-release should resolve the chat.

I only use mine for optical audio, so I'm glad to hear my investment into a good set of cans has not gone to waste.

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    At least we're getting word from the horse's mouth that the A50's will be patched. A simple firmware update post-release should resolve the chat.

I only use mine for optical audio, so I'm glad to hear my investment into a good set of cans has not gone to waste.
    Yeah, I'm not too upset about this. However, if my Thrustmaster T500 RS isn't compatible with the PS4 I'll be more than a little upset...

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    Yeah, I'm not too upset about this. However, if my Thrustmaster T500 RS isn't compatible with the PS4 I'll be more than a little upset...
    I get the impression that all existing PS3 USB peripherals will be supported.

Oddly enough, I need to use a powered USB hub for my A50's on my main Slim PS3 but not on another of the exact same model. If you find that any of your gear doesn't work, try a powered hub.

Deathless Destroyer

I'll just wait for Sony's new official headset to come out and then trade in my Pulse for that.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Update: Turtle Beach's Dave Lowey tells IGN, "The new Turtle Beach PX4 wireless surround sound headset is compatible with the PlayStation 4 console, at launch, right out of the box. The headset will be widely available in stores in time for the PlayStation 4 launch. The XP510 and PX51 wireless headsets that were introduced earlier this year will also be fully compatible in the same manner."

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy-Page-666 View Post
    Hmm, my PX5's probably won't work for chat then. Great. They work fine on my PC despite being designed for the PS3, but next gen consoles are a no-no. These new consoles are looking more and more inaccessible every time I check the news.
    What news are you reading?

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I guess I'll buy a new headset for ps4