Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Graphics Card Equivalent of Optimised PS4 GPU is Radeon 7970/R9 280X

This is a discussion on Graphics Card Equivalent of Optimised PS4 GPU is Radeon 7970/R9 280X within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; You need a 3.68 Teraflop GPU to match PS4's GPU - General Discussion - Giant Bomb As said by the ...

Deathless Destroyer

Graphics Card Equivalent of Optimised PS4 GPU is Radeon 7970/R9 280X

You need a 3.68 Teraflop GPU to match PS4's GPU - General Discussion - Giant Bomb

As said by the article, Sony has stated that you need a "3.68 Teraflop PC", which basically means you need the performance of a Radeon HD 7970 or the very recent R9 280X (which costs $300) to match the optimized performance of the PS4. With a US price-tag of $400 the PS4 is a very appealing offer, especially since it has 8GB's of fast unified memory to match, something you'd only get from spending around $1500-2000 on a PC.

This doesn't necessarily translate into extreme performance though, as displayed by Killzone: Shadow Fall only running at 1080p30 on SP for all you tech-people.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

INTJ

so a slightly worse nvidia 780 then

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...eforce-gtx-780

outdated in 2 years or less

enjoy the current gen while it lasts

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    so a slightly worse nvidia 780 then

AMD Radeon R9 280X compare Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 GPU

Yeah but still for the price tag of a PS4 at the moment in what you get, it is pretty damn good.

illegal in 9 countries

Tell someone who gives a shit 'n stuff.

Want a PC? Buy one.

As opposed to PC hardware which has at best 3 to 4 years of usable lifespan and costs more than the double the price of a PS4, significantly more if you want the bleeding edge of technology like the 8GB of unified RAM under the PS4's hood.

$400 for a PS4 that's outdated in 2 years, yet will have games that run perfectly for the next 7 years. Or $2000 on a PC that's outdated the moment it's purchased, with games that WON'T run in 3 years time thanks to MS's forced OS upgrade to enable the next DirectX version which, by no coincidence, isn't compatible with your 3 year old PC hardware...I know which horse to back.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    $400 for a PS4 that's outdated in 2 years, yet will have games that run perfectly for the next 7 years. Or $2000 on a PC that's outdated the moment it's purchased, with games that WON'T run in 3 years time thanks to MS's forced OS upgrade to enable the next DirectX version which, by no coincidence, isn't compatible with your 3 year old PC hardware...I know which horse to back.
    won't be long till everyone moves to openGL and linux

everyone is moving over to linux pretty quickly. even EA is starting to.

only reason i haven't moved to linux yet is games/software compatibility. valve is doing a good job of convincing everyone to make the jump while they can

illegal in 9 countries

only reason i haven't moved to linux yet is games/software compatibility. valve is doing a good job of convincing everyone to make the jump while they can
    Ditto. The sooner we can ditch Windows, the better it'll be for PC gaming.

Unfortunately, we'll be in the minority because MS has convinced Average Joe that he needs them, they took care of that with Windows 95 back in the dark ages of PC gaming. It's going to be hard for Valve to break MS's stronghold, but as a wise man once said (in a work of fiction), "A waterfall starts with but one drop..."

With Nvidia on their side, Valve has an incredibly strong ally to bridge the PC to Linux gap. A few game performance benchmarks should help to make their case.

Deathless Destroyer

It'd actually be interesting if someone came up with something better than Microsoft Windows as the primary OS as a mainstream option (though it'd be difficult to make mainstream). Valve's "Steambox" has a version of Linux as the OS, which should be interesting to look at.

In terms of the PS4, it is impossible to find/build a PC (desktop/laptop) at the price-point which can outperform it, even at double or 2.5x the price-point (essentially $400-1000). Although you can find a GPU at a performance no-one really needs and cram it with sub-par items the unique unified GDDR5 memory in the PS4 as I stated before requires a bigger budget.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

INTJ

Ditto. The sooner we can ditch Windows, the better it'll be for PC gaming.

Unfortunately, we'll be in the minority because MS has convinced Average Joe that he needs them, they took care of that with Windows 95 back in the dark ages of PC gaming. It's going to be hard for Valve to break MS's stronghold, but as a wise man once said (in a work of fiction), "A waterfall starts with but one drop..."

With Nvidia on their side, Valve has an incredibly strong ally to bridge the PC to Linux gap. A few game performance benchmarks should help to make their case.

the fact that valve made steam popular in a time where dialup was still the majority is proof they can do the impossible.

also, valve already said Left 4 Dead 2 runs 50% better on OpenGL since they moved it to linux

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    It'd actually be interesting if someone came up with something better than Microsoft Windows as the primary OS as a mainstream option (though it'd be difficult to make mainstream). Valve's "Steambox" has a version of Linux as the OS, which should be interesting to look at.
    They already have - it's called OS X, which is also built on a Linux core. Unfortunately, it doesn't run games particularly well, mostly due to the combination of high resolution displays and piss-poor graphics cards, however this year's iMac will have a GTX 780 as an optional hardware component, so it should have some decent gaming chops. Tossing a Retina display on-board will negate those benefits...so it's swings and roundabouts.

That said, Mac's focus is not nor has it ever been on gaming. It's a powerhouse for productivity (OS X shits all over Doze), but I'd never game on one...that's what my consoles are for. Windows no longer fits into my digital life and it's far better for it. I'll keep a (now old by technology standards) Windows box running to power my Steam back-catalogue, but moving forward it's Linux all the way.

also, valve already said Left 4 Dead 2 runs 50% better on OpenGL since they moved it to linux
    I'm already sold on SteamOS, but Valve will need more than an optimised, in-house, aging game to convince the masses. Head-to-head third-party benchmarks will do the job. If they don't show a performance advantage for SteamOS, it's doomed from the start...at least among the PC evangelists and fence-sitters.

The Last of my Kind

Cheap CB ad brought me here.

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

INTJ

I'm already sold on SteamOS, but Valve will need more than an optimised, in-house, aging game to convince the masses. Head-to-head third-party benchmarks will do the job. If they don't show a performance advantage for SteamOS, it's doomed from the start...at least among the PC evangelists and fence-sitters.
    well they have source 2 being made right now (Left 4 Dead 3 and HL3 are being made with it.)

that will probably be the big door opener. Half life for Single player side of source 2, Left 4 Dead 3 for Multiplayer side.

If current hybrid engine used in Dota 2/Portal 2 show anything about the future of source, It's gonna look great (Possibly SFM Quality in Realtime would be enough for me.)

Rangers F.C

I just got a new PC built by my local shop Utopia computers

Intel i7 4770K Quad Core 3.90GHz Turbo Boost
    16 GB Ram Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 MHz 4x4
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 2GB
    250 GB Samsung SSD
    1 TB Sata Seagate Barracuda 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache
    Blu-ray player
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Gigabyte Z87X-DH3 Intel - Motherboard
    Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition Dual
    650W Corsair VS series
    Corsair H80i liquid Cooler

It is a beast of a computer and makes zero noise, I was chatting with the guy who built it about next gen consoles and he stated that the claims that the consoles will have the edge over PC at launch is pure and simply a lie . Multi tasking and downloading in the background and all the other amazing features coming next generation have been on PC for the last 15 years .

It comes down to this, if you want plug and play, get a console . I don't really agree about the price being an issue because I have had 3 PS3 and 2 Xbox, you also make big savings on games . The 2 platforms IMO cost pretty much the same, its just the PS3/Xbox are cheaper in the short term .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I just got a new PC built by my local shop Utopia computers

Intel i7 4770K Quad Core 3.90GHz Turbo Boost
    16 GB Ram Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 MHz 4x4
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 2GB
    250 GB Samsung SSD
    1 TB Sata Seagate Barracuda 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache
    Blu-ray player
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Gigabyte Z87X-DH3 Intel - Motherboard
    Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition Dual
    650W Corsair VS series
    Corsair H80i liquid Cooler

It is a beast of a computer and makes zero noise, I was chatting with the guy who built it about next gen consoles and he stated that the claims that the consoles will have the edge over PC at launch is pure and simply a lie . Multi tasking and downloading in the background and all the other amazing features coming next generation have been on PC for the last 15 years .

It comes down to this, if you want plug and play, get a console . I don't really agree about the price being an issue because I have had 3 PS3 and 2 Xbox, you also make big savings on games . The 2 platforms IMO cost pretty much the same, its just the PS3/Xbox are cheaper in the short term .
    No noise, huh? I'll have to look into this...

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    No noise, huh? I'll have to look into this...
    Not a bit

I am only playing Skyrim, Sins of a solar empire - Rebellion, Outlast and Dishonored GOTY all on Max settings, I need to get a proper game to test it for power any suggestions ?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I was chatting with the guy who built it about next gen consoles and he stated that the claims that the consoles will have the edge over PC at launch is pure and simply a lie.
    No-one in their right mind would claim a console is more powerful than a gaming PC. But try buying a $400 PC that'll have the same gaming performance as a PS4. That's the point where you're comparing apples with apples and the PS4 and XB1 will come out well ahead.

Rangers F.C

No-one in their right mind would claim a console is more powerful than a gaming PC. But try buying a $400 PC that'll have the same gaming performance as a PS4. That's the point where you're comparing apples with apples and the PS4 and XB1 will come out well ahead.
    Yeah I agree, but the people making the pitch are making it sound better and some folks will believe it to be true .

INTJ

No-one in their right mind would claim a console is more powerful than a gaming PC.
    a bunch of people already did sadly.

also:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...a-next-gen-pc/

Rangers F.C

Yeah loads of people had, I just could not be bothered looking for the links lol

illegal in 9 countries

As I said, no-one in their RIGHT mind. Idiot fanboys lack objectivity.

The article you posted said it could be done for 500. A quick check on xe.com and you'll find that's closer to $800 USD than $400.

100% Grizzly

This is what I am most interested about with the SteamBox. I couldn't care less about buying one but I want to see how this will affect Linux, Windows, and PC gaming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast