This Man Designed the PlayStation 4's "Box"

This is a discussion on This Man Designed the PlayStation 4's "Box" within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This Man Designed The PlayStation 4 | Kotaku Australia Tetsu Sumii is the name, say "hi" Tetsu Sumii would in ...

Deathless Destroyer

This Man Designed the PlayStation 4's "Box"

This Man Designed The PlayStation 4 | Kotaku Australia

Tetsu Sumii is the name, say "hi"

Tetsu Sumii would in most circumstances be a man you’d never hear of. So it’s nice that Sony have given him a shout-out on the PlayStation Blog. Why? Because he designed the PlayStation 4.

Not the guts, of course, but he is the main man responsible for its appearance. You know, the box that so annoyed everyone when it didn’t turn up to its own unveiling back in February.

Saying that his original idea was “totally different” to the box we've got now, he adds that the driving force behind the PS4′s design was simplicity.

“I just wanted to make a simple object for the living room”, he says. “Sometimes products are a little too exaggerated. It should be simple. That’s my thinking.”

He also says that the machine’s sloping appearance and “valley” running through the middle are there so the PS4 looks good from “every angle” (something Sony touched on back in June).
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Lol I thought the thread title meant the box it comes in... not the part it is referring to.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

illegal in 9 countries

Dude built a box. Accidentally sat on it. Didn't have time to rebuild it before the pitch. Sony calls him a genius. Profit.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ooga View Post
    Lol I thought the thread title meant the box it comes in... not the part it is referring to.
    Haha, exactly what I thought

The One and Only

It's good to know who created the design for the PS4, especially since I like the design. Let's see who comes up with the design for a PS5 and what it turns into.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    It's good to know who created the design for the PS4, especially since I like the design. Let's see who comes up with the design for a PS5 and what it turns into.
    The current rumour is the PS5 won't be a device at all, it'll be a subscription service only - http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/08/play...ekkens-harada/

Sony will house the games in a central online server warehouse where they can upgrade the hardware at will and we'll end up with little more than a small box and a controller, much like the Vita TV. http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/09/che...he-ps-vita-tv/

Sony has 5 or 6 years to get us hooked on the Gaikai concept and for most of the Western world to roll out fiber-optic based broadband networks. It's no longer a matter of if this will happen, but when. The game console may well go the way of the dinosaur and we could be looking at it's last physical iteration this generation.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

How much did he get paid to design the box? lol

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I think he did a good job.