apparently 1920x800 (2.40:1 Aspect Ratio) is the new Ps4 resolution trend

This is a discussion on apparently 1920x800 (2.40:1 Aspect Ratio) is the new Ps4 resolution trend within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend? - NeoGAF So we first started ...

INTJ

apparently 1920x800 (2.40:1 Aspect Ratio) is the new Ps4 resolution trend

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend? - NeoGAF

So we first started hearing about this with The Evil Within and (judging by some screenshots) possibly Wolfenstein.

I assumed this was just ZeniMax trying to get around idtech5 performance issues in a way others were unlikely to attempt, but now that they're not the only high profile projects doing it, I wanted to raise the question if people think others will try it as well.

The notable advantage here is you render 280 less horizontal lines of pixels, saving a notable amount of performance to spend elsewhere. The down side is that you get black bars even on 16:9 (1.77:1 ratio) widescreen television.

Here's Examples of 1200x800 shots:
    http://images.gamersyde.com/image_th...-2752_0007.jpg
    http://images.gamersyde.com/image_th...-2752_0010.jpg
    http://images.gamersyde.com/image_th...-2752_0006.jpg

The Devs of Order 1886 Confirmed it's the resolution the entire time:
    The Order: 1886 Video - E3 2013: An Altered History | GameTrailers

Meanwhile on Xbox One, Every single exclusive is 1920x900 Except for Forza, Which runs at 1080p. So Xbox one has a better job at showing more of the game than the PS4.

why are next gen consoles not doing 1080p and just making retarded decisions like this which make black bar crap appear

Rangers F.C

Not heard much about this but I fucking hate having to zoom pics on Blu-rays and would not buy games at 50 a pop supporting this res . 1920x1080 been out for years get it right guys .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

I'm sure this wont bother me in the slightest

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Deathless Destroyer

Da fuq? I have a 100in display connected to a 1080p projector I'm going to be using with the PS4 when I get it. If I see so much as a black bar on my display without stretching the image, this will be horrible! There's no way I'm going to spend 5 seconds screwing with the settings making the image stretched - that shit's ugly.

Now if there aren't any black bars, then this is a completely different story...
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Da fuq? I have a 100in display connected to a 1080p projector I'm going to be using with the PS4 when I get it. If I see so much as a black bar on my display without stretching the image, this will be horrible! There's no way I'm going to spend 5 seconds screwing with the settings making the image stretched - that shit's ugly.

Now if there aren't any black bars, then this is a completely different story...

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

[top]apparently 1920x800 (2.40:1 Aspect Ratio) is the new Ps4 resolution trend

[...]Meanwhile on Xbox One, Every single exclusive is 1920x900 Except for Forza, Which runs at 1080p. So Xbox one has a better job at showing more of the game than the PS4.

why are next gen consoles not doing 1080p and just making retarded decisions like this which make black bar crap appear
    A single exclusive title and a multi-platform title choosing present in a cinematic aspect ratio, a trend does not make.

Be honest: the first time you saw someone light a match, you called the Fire Department, didn't you. The first time you got a paper cut, you ran screaming to your mother and said "Halp! I'm being exsanguinated by stationary!"

In case anyone was looking to learn something (I know, heaven forbid), a change in aspect ratio does not equal a lower picture quality. The Evil Within and The Order are essentially full HD (1080p) games that are being 'cropped' to achieve a display ratio that is similar in appearance to classic cinema. The picture won't be smaller, you'll just see less. Yes, there are technically less pixels (well, active ones) being displayed, but the pixel density remains the same.

On the other hand, Ryse (the Xbox One exclusive) runs at 900p, Upscaled to 1080p, which will result in a lessened picture quality.

INTJ

According to the devs from the Order, they want the game to look "Cinematic" so the resolution helps them throw the black bars on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    A single exclusive title and a multi-platform title choosing present in a cinematic aspect ratio, a trend does not make.
    One exclusive and 2 Third party games under different developers with different engines (despite the fact they are under the same publisher).

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    On the other hand, Ryse (the Xbox One exclusive) runs at 900p, Upscaled to 1080p, which will result in a lessened picture quality.
    anyone who actually likes ryse is a lost cause. not a good example for Xbox one comparisons.

Forza 5 has 60 FPS 1080p Native (Compared to driveclub which it doesn't even know if it's going to be 1080p 60FPS), Like any good game on good hardware should be.

illegal in 9 countries

Forza 5 has 60 FPS 1080p Native (Compared to driveclub which it doesn't even know if it's going to be 1080p 60FPS), Like any good game on good hardware should be.
    Not a good example. Ridge Racer 7, a PS3 launch title, has 60FPS 1080p Native. Racing games are far less taxing on system resources than high-poly shooters / adventure games. Ryse is the better comparison.

As Faust explained, the cropping is for cinematic effect, not due to limitations of the hardware. But by all means, send the flock running by squawking "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!".

Lvl 8 - Gold

Interesting. I'm surprised NeoGaf posted an article like this, considering people are calling it SonyGaf lately lolol.

To be honest I could care less how a game looks on console. If the gameplay is right, I'm playing it. On the other hand, if its a pc game, thats a different story.

Bringing the PAIN

anyone who actually likes ryse is a lost cause. not a good example for Xbox one comparisons.
    Anyone who like XBOne(d) is a lost cause.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

and they say nurses have it tough...

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Lvl 7 - Gold

And the article that is supposed to tell me why such sharp aspect ratios are good is....?

I do not like having such a small portion of the screen used. Seems like a waste. That and it only allows you to focus on onw hat you are shown, while forcing background info and stuff you hardly need to know on to that 'focused viewing' area. I hardly ever look at health meters but when I do, they are tucked nicely out of the way on old 4:3 games.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Rangers F.C

The cinematic experience is a load of bull, it in no way enhances the game by having black bars on the screen, old cinema shit or not . They black bars mean cutting corners to me, oh and the sky is fine its right where it always was .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    As Faust explained, the cropping is for cinematic effect, not due to limitations of the hardware. But by all means, send the flock running by squawking "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!".
    Fuck Cinematic feel that provides less content no matter how minor.

Black bars should never exist on games.

illegal in 9 countries

Fuck Cinematic feel that provides less content no matter how minor.

Black bars should never exist on games.
    It provides a wider field of view, which is closer to the human eye, ergo, it feels more natural, comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.

Here's a quick comparison of games displayed at 16:9, 16:10 and 4:3 - Field of view in video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...shit looks better with a wider FOV, which is why 5760 x 1080p has increased in popularity and it's why the industry is jizzing their pants over the Oculus Rift. Given we don't have the option of multiple displays on console, the black bars on a HDTV will have to do.

I hate the vertical black bars between double or triple displays for desktop PCs far more than a condensed vertical aspect. We're not going to see any 21:9 superwide or wraparound TVs, so black bars will do the for occasional game that opts for a cinematic visual effect.

Once again, this is not related to the system capabilities of the PS4 and it's not the standard by which all games should be judged. So stop crying into your lattes - there's no need to cancel your pre-order, just don't play the games that use widescreen for visual effect. Running a game on the XB1 @ 900p and upscaling to 1080p, on the other hand, indicates system performance issues...so maybe cancel it if that shit bothers you so much.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

it's so they can get away with 2 things
    1. fake letter box look with a non-standard resolution to make it "feel" like a more cinematic experience
    2. slightly lower resolution which requires less overall hardware power

completely unnecessary since it's still a 1080 generation but with "proper" competent hardware to do so this time around
    is 1080 really that hard to do? the industry didn't even up the resolution this time around

The Old Guy

"apparently 1920x800 (2.40:1..."

That is all I saw on the front page of the site, and was all I needed to see to know that this was a Ps360 thread before I even clicked on it. I don't know how someone can spend four years posting the same crap and not get bored.

I'm not even going to bother to respond to the idiotic content of the original (troll) post. I actually would have liked to discuss the merits of using a more cinematic aspect ratio in a video game, but this thread doesn't deserve to be turned into a legitimate discussion.