Ps4 Caches Data instead of installing it

This is a discussion on Ps4 Caches Data instead of installing it within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/394021687475183616 from yoshida on twitter it's automatic, not install but caching data Basically, instead of installing data from the disc ...

INTJ

Ps4 Caches Data instead of installing it

https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/394021687475183616

from yoshida on twitter

it's automatic, not install but caching data

Basically, instead of installing data from the disc to the HDD, the PS4 will use a caching mechanism to store files frequently used for the game on the HDD. So, instead of having a 15 minute install when you first put the disc in the game, it'll "install" the files as you play, putting the files it frequently needs on the HDD. Since it's a cache, it will be dynamic and delete files not used as often when the cache needs additional space.

So, you put in a game, and as it loads, it will load the main character, enemies and level 1 assets and those go onto the HDD. You finish the first level and it loads level 2, and puts level 2 into the cache. You go to level 3, but your cache is now full (hypothetically, probably from other game caches). The cache sees you are still frequently using the player and enemies assets, but haven't used the level 1 assets in some time, and removes the files for level 1 from the cache. Your friend comes over and starts a new game. The cache wants to re-load level 1, but, again, not enough space, and removes level 2 from the cache (the assets that have not been used for the longest).

Drunken Nights

Good to hear. Nice of Shuhei to clear the air and answer questions.

Was hoping the console would support customizable themes though.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Thats awesome. I hate sitting around for 15 mins waiting for an install.

If I'm in a mood for gaming, I'm going to game... but if I have to wait 15 mins chances are I'll get bored and do something else and not go back.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

sorry if this is a dumb question but if there's no installing then what about the 49GB install of Call of Duty Ghosts?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    sorry if this is a dumb question but if there's no installing then what about the 49GB install of Call of Duty Ghosts?
    Hm, good question. Maybe both options are possible?

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    it's most likely optional if you want the entire game on your hdd at all times

just like the xbox 360 does it.

Drunken Nights

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Guys I've been doing some research on how all this works and I want to clear up confusion with what I know/understand.

So with caching each game leaves a small portion of the file permanently on the hardrive, let's say 10gb or a little less. The first time you play a game it will cache in the background. Then, as you play the game it caches the rest of the game as you play so that it will run smoother. But here's were everyone is getting confused, once you eject that disc and play a different game, only the small permanent portion stays, the cache itself is cleared out for the next game.SO THE 50GB FOR GHOSTS ISN'T PERMANENT IT ERASES WHEN YOU PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME. So basically just keep 50 gb avalible at all times and you'll be fine. Plus as someone said earlier, the secondary chip does this all in the background so it doesn't slow anything down. Hope I cleared things up.