PS4: The Ultimate FAQ

This is a discussion on PS4: The Ultimate FAQ within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; + Posted by Sid Shuman // Social Media Manager With all eyes on PlayStation 4 ’s North American launch on ...

Drunken Nights

PS4: The Ultimate FAQ

+ Posted by Sid Shuman // Social Media Manager

With all eyes on PlayStation 4’s North American launch on November 15th, we wanted to provide definitive answers to your questions, both big and small. This list of Frequently Asked Questions is only a start, as certain details are still being finalized in preparation for launch. We will continue to update this FAQ leading up to launch and post-launch, integrating new answers to your questions and additional details as they are confirmed.

Read on to get answers to your questions regarding PS4, covering everything from the system specs and benefits to accessories, PlayStation Plus features, the launch game lineup and much more. Please leave your burning questions in the comments and we’ll address them in a future update!
    160+ questions answered! Become a PS4 expert and get ready for November 15th.

INTJ

If I rent a game disc, and then decide I want to buy it digitally, can I use the mandatory install to avoid downloading it and just activate my license?

No, in this example you would have to delete the disc install data and fully install the digital version of the game.
    thats dumb

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online?

PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.
    thats cool

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

If I’m not a PlayStation Plus member but I log into a PS4 system owned by a PS Plus member, will I be able to play online multiplayer?

Yes. If you don’t have a PS Plus membership, you can still access online multiplayer modes if you log into a PS4 which is set as “Primary” by a PS Plus member. This means that, for example, if one housemate is a PlayStation Plus member, everyone in the household will have access to online multiplayer. Additionally, on the same PS4 system, any games or content purchased by one user are available to other users who play on that console (unless that content has expired).

the only thing that annoys me on xbox live fixed. never liked the guest system it used.

Will I be able to play background music while I play PS4 games?

Yes, the Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games. A subscription to Music Unlimited is required. Get full details here.

Does PS4 include a music visualizer feature?
    No.

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?
    No.
    "Fuck you use our proprietary bullshit"

Can users copy the recorded gameplay video from PS4 to other devices, such as PC?

PS4 users will not be able to directly copy recorded gameplay video files from PS4 to other devices, though they will be able to use the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s Share button to upload videos to Facebook for distribution. This function will be supported by a future system update.
    Can I share my game videos on YouTube?
    No. At launch, PS4 users will be able to use the Share button on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller to upload gameplay videos to their Facebook account, or to stream live gameplay to Ustream or Twitch. PS4 owners can follow PlayStation.Blog and PlayStation.com for further news on other services to come after launch.
    then whats the point of recording video.

why the hell do you support facebook video uploads before youtube uploads.

La Mano de Dios

Sucks the part of not being able to play your own music... Damn.

It seems that the 1.50 first day update is fruit of the rush, as those features could be available from manufacturing. Too bad for the people that doesn't have an available internet connection.

Lvl 5 - Silver

No mp3 ? That's weird, ps3 does when you put a usb stick in the front and direct play from stick, or copy them to the hdd.
    PS2 slim silver - PS3 super slim 500gb - PSVita pch1104 - PS4

Lvl 4 - Silver

The uploading to facebook is pure shit. Am I the only one who still refuses to use facebook? SMH!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

That sucks, because I use my ps3 to listen to music (my own music) when I'm in the living room exercising on my Total Gym -So I will have to buy a stereo, I guess. And it's not gonna be a Sony. Fukn punkasses!

PRO Member

They could get rid of all the social features and eye toy crap, and in exchange, add mp3 playback during gameplay, and I would be A LOT happier.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

INTJ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Cipher sent us to hell

[top]Does PS4 support external HDMI-based game capture devices?
    PS4 will allow the use of external HDMI-based capture devices following an upcoming system software update — please follow PlayStation.Blog and PlayStation.com for news following the launch of PS4.
    Sounds good to me. I can keep my Elgato
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

"Kaz... I'm already a demon."

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

lmao I can't stop laughing

No MP3 support? are they on crack? I mean seriously lmao. Come on... your joking right?

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Ooh, how dastardly of Sony.

If i want to listen to music while i play games ( which is somewhere between maybe and never) i really struggle to find something to play it on apart from this laptop, another laptop, that stereo, that stereo and that stereo, that tv has radio i suppose, this smartphone has only a few thousand tracks on it too and well, that MP3 player with portable speakers is just pointless, how will i ever listen to music in this house without my two PS3s?

Count how many music sources you have in your home right now, is it more than none? Good, i thought so, move on , it's really not that important.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Ooh, how dastardly of Sony.

If i want to listen to music while i play games ( which is somewhere between maybe and never) i really struggle to find something to play it on apart from this laptop, another laptop, that stereo, that stereo and that stereo, that tv has radio i suppose, this smartphone has only a few thousand tracks on it too and well, that MP3 player with portable speakers is just pointless, how will i ever listen to music in this house without my two PS3s?

Count how many music sources you have in your home right now, is it more than none? Good, i thought so, move on , it's really not that important.
    Lol, there are 5 things on this desk alone that can play music.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

kinda disappointed about the lack of mp3 support but i can live for now

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 10 - Platinum

SONY's correcting everything with the second patch that will come later this year or early 2014.

MP3 Support, DLNA and more features to follow on 2nd PS4 update | CouchJockeyz.Com

Lvl 3 - Bronze

ultimate faq eh?
    I thought 12.5mm hdd's was confirmed?
    faq says no

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Glad to hear Sony will Support Mp3's

Lvl 6 - Silver

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?

No, this feature is not supported on PS4.
    the one that's really boggling my mind is this one, what does it mean by this? does it mean we can no longer watch films etc stored on an external HDD that is plugged into the PS3's USB port?