Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Some PS4 Games Unboxed, PS4 Games have no physical manual

This is a discussion on Some PS4 Games Unboxed, PS4 Games have no physical manual within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I actually agree with you that it's gay. I loved receiving manuals in my games and still do. I love ...

PRO Member

I actually agree with you that it's gay. I loved receiving manuals in my games and still do. I love to read and smell them. I know it's a way for them to save money, but that's why I have always preferred physical copies. I can hold it and display it as my own.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Galaxy beauty pirate

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I actually agree with you that it's gay. I loved receiving manuals in my games and still do. I love to read and smell them. I know it's a way for them to save money, but that's why I have always preferred physical copies. I can hold it and display it as my own.
    I like them too and the smell is the best (same with new books). They should bring a perfume on the market that contains that smell.
    Sig by Ramon

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    The only reason any of us would want a physical manual is so we had something to read while on the toilet...
    you dont like to smell the manual for the packging smell?

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

The only sane person here

Not surprised, even Nintendo is cutting the manual down on their 3DS games.

Lvl 4 - Silver

This makes me really sad. I really loved old school instruction booklets, the Sly Cooper and the Thevius Raccoonus manual was my favorite, but to be fair I haven't seen a good instruction booklet in a while. This is just the nail in the coffin.

"Jigglypuff is the Finest"

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by mikesorrell View Post
    My thoughts exactly. What irks me more than just having a manual on disc is the reason (or at least one of the reasons) for them not including manuals in games nowadays is the idea that it's cutting cost to not have a physical manual, and have it on disc, as it seems that it would be cheaper, if not the same cost as, paying to print out the manual rather than pay for it to be programmed and printed on the disc. I wouldn't be to bothered if there was a price reduction, but at the beginning of this console generation, games were the same price then as they are now.
    I'm fairly certain EA was one of the first publishers to shrink their in-case manual and start pointing people towards an on-disc manual, and at the time it wasn't for money reasons, it was during a big environmental mindset and they were trying to "save the trees" by using less paper. Around the same time, we started seeing those really shitty blu-ray cases with the "recycle" logo cut out of it under the cover, making it extremely flimsy, and prone to holes in the back of the cover. I really doubt it's about saving money, as manuals had pretty much already gone the way of the dodo before the Vita went to complete on-cartridge manuals. I'm actually quite the fan of the way the Vita does it. If I'm having trouble with something in-game and the control scheme menu isn't helping, I can just jump out and check the manual, then hop right back into the game.
    Yes, like many of you, I still miss the old days with huge 40-60 page manuals I could read through like a book. But I'm not really upset with the convenience of having it tied to the game. No more "not" getting one when you pick up a game long after it came out and can't find a new copy anymore (as several here already said they liked to steal copies from rental games or trade-ins, thereby depriving everyone after them with that copy from being able to use it).

O_o

Well, I can't say I didn't that comin'. Though I only flipped through them once or twice, it's gonna weird to not see something there.

Much like the newer DVD/Blu ray movie cases.

PRO Member

Threads like these make me hate humanity more. Fucking petty creatures.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 8 - Gold

[QUOTE=AizawaYuuichi;579149]I'm fairly certain EA was one of the first publishers to shrink their in-case manual and start pointing people towards an on-disc manual, and at the time it wasn't for money reasons, it was during a big environmental mindset and they were trying to "save the trees" by using less paper. Around the same time, we started seeing those really shitty blu-ray cases with the "recycle" logo cut out of it under the cover, making it extremely flimsy, and prone to holes in the back of the cover./QUOTE]

I remember reading about it being a dual-purpose thing, in that it was 1) for the environment and 2) a cost-cutting measure. I understand the environmental stance, as I'm fairly certain that more and more people were using recycled paper for booklets, manuals, etc. around the time. Anyhow, I've never understood the idea of how it is cheaper to put a manual on-disc, yet it wasn't the sole reason for doing it.

NSFW

Is... is this really an issue? Really?

Oh no, the things that should be explained in the game can now not be explained in a 12-30 page manual (100-300 if it's Civilization, I guess.). Manuals serve no real purpose with the exception of giving you moderate joy, and hyping you up, while you wait for your mom getting done with her grocery shopping so you could stick the disc in and play the fucker.
    And with physical waiting in gaming getting ever cut so significantly every day of the human existence, these manuals become more and more useless, especially with digital downloads. Steam has never provided a single physical manual, and yet some of the game developers there has still proven to care about the game.
    I think many people still needs to clear the difference between some things still having a clear function in the world, and then it's just because of their own nostalgia. Technically digital manuals opens up for new ways to teach you things, but most importantly the game should be the prime source of your progression, not a bloody piece of paper that just happened to come with the game.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Rise Above

manuals are now going to be more like the ps vita interface, when you start up the game you have a little red book on top screen, if clicked I shows the manual. for those vita owners out there you know what I mean

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Manuals are going the way of paper Strategy Guides and such. The internet has made them basically obsolete. Truth-be-told, I will miss them, but it was inevitable.

It used to be, you would by a game and get a nice case, a disk, a paper manual, maybe even a bound booklet. One time, I even got a cloth map with a game... Now days, a lot of us are getting our games digitally and we have no disc, no case, no manual, nothing physical to hold on to or look at. There is a part of me that feels very uncomfortable with that idea, but that's progress for ya. It does save shelf space at least.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Random fun fact. I just picked up my copy of Lego Marvel for PS4 today. It actually still has a manual in it. Like, twelve pages. And there's no info on the inside of the wraparound like KZ and Knack have. So, they're not completely gone, lol.

Game on....

I do prefer having the manual with the physical copies of any games but i am not going to lose any sleep over PS4 games that don't have manuals included.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    It's sad to see GOOD game manuals disappear, but whatever. Happened years ago. They don't really seem to put any creative effort into them these days so good riddance

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Generally i don't mind as a lot of game manuals are beyond pointless but the one game i had hoped would have a real manual was GTA V

I felt sad to open the case and not be able to take out the book to look at spoof ads and what songs were in the game like i have done since GTA III. Sure you could download it but it wasn't the same for me.

KCCO!

The only reason any of us would want a physical manual is so we had something to read while on the toilet...but we use our phones/tablets/laptops now anyway.
    This is pretty much truth. Physical manuals are no longer needed in this day and age.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post

Oh no, the things that should be explained in the game can now not be explained in a 12-30 page manual (100-300 if it's Civilization, I guess.). Manuals serve no real purpose with the exception of giving you moderate joy, and hyping you up, while you wait for your mom getting done with her grocery shopping so you could stick the disc in and play the fucker.
    And with physical waiting in gaming getting ever cut so significantly every day of the human existence, these manuals become more and more useless, especially with digital downloads. Steam has never provided a single physical manual, and yet some of the game developers there has still proven to care about the game.
    I think many people still needs to clear the difference between some things still having a clear function in the world, and then it's just because of their own nostalgia. Technically digital manuals opens up for new ways to teach you things, but most importantly the game should be the prime source of your progression, not a bloody piece of paper that just happened to come with the game.

You see, it's more than just information. For me, it's part of the experience. I think you're taking it for granted. :/

When you buy/bought a new game, your anticipation would grow as you crack open the case. There lies your game and respected manual. The design on the game...nice! You finally decide to bust open that manual, but wait! Don't forget to smell the freshness of paper and chemicals! Aaaaaahhhhhhh! As you browse through the piece of art, you learn a little about the game, see the cool artwork (sometimes) and if you're so inclined, see who was behind creating certain aspects of the game.

It's not just about teaching a person about the game. Like I stated, it's part of the experience. I don't have to wait for my mom to do anything (nor did I ever with gaming) I'm a grown ass man.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Forget I Was Ever Here

The only reason any of us would want a physical manual is so we had something to read while on the toilet...but we use our phones/tablets/laptops now anyway.
    This is exactly the only reason I'd want one and ever used one. Now it's about looking for the codes within the box...I know bf4 came with a trial of ps+ and a very small instruction manual and cod just has a bunch code paper

It is time for me to go underground

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    You see, it's more than just information. For me, it's part of the experience. I think you're taking it for granted. :/

When you buy/bought a new game, your anticipation would grow as you crack open the case. There lies your game and respected manual. The design on the game...nice! You finally decide to bust open that manual, but wait! Don't forget to smell the freshness of paper and chemicals! Aaaaaahhhhhhh! As you browse through the piece of art, you learn a little about the game, see the cool artwork (sometimes) and if you're so inclined, see who was behind creating certain aspects of the game.

It's not just about teaching a person about the game. Like I stated, it's part of the experience. I don't have to wait for my mom to do anything (nor did I ever with gaming) I'm a grown ass man.
    I agree that it was once a part of the experience... but good manuals disappeared YEARS ago. There is no longer any good reason to open a manual, since now it's just the controls and boot-up that gets put in the manual. This degeneration of manuals happened so slowly that I actually wonder why this didn't just come as inevitable. There is no reason to a have a manual, since there is no reason to have a GOOD manual. While I agree it's part of the experience, I just think it's such a small part that I would rather have it cut out if you get more out of the game that way.
    But each their own, I guess .

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast