Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's what YOU WON'T be able to do with your PlayStation 4

This is a discussion on Here's what YOU WON'T be able to do with your PlayStation 4 within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Automotive pioneer Henry Ford famously joked that any customer could order a car painted any color "as long as it ...

Rangers F.C

Here's what YOU WON'T be able to do with your PlayStation 4

Automotive pioneer Henry Ford famously joked that any customer could order a car painted any color "as long as it is black." The same will be true of Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 4 video game console – "Jet Black" being the only color option at launch – but it seems the new device will come with plenty of other limitations, besides.
    Here's what YOU WON'T be able to do with your PlayStation 4 € The Register

I don't really care about the stuff it cant do apart from being backwards compatible but some people might not like some or a lot of the stuff it does not do .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Grandmasterpiece

The only thing I'm really wowed about is no CDs. Playing them is kind of like, "why would I choose my console to do that?", but I'm mostly bummed about not being able to use CDs to put music on the system.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Kiwi Defender

I was aware of it only having HDMI since they showed the console's back-side. I actually talked about it with a friend, finding it amusing given how they're pretty much forcing you to play on HD now.

Regarding the lack of USB support, I'm surprised and disappointed, but it's not like I use them often for my PS3.

The update needed to watch DVDs and Blu-Rays doesn't seem bad, either, given it's only 300MB. Shame it won't read CDs, though, not like I've played many on my PS3 anyway.

The lack of supports for PS3 peripherals isn't really a concern nor a surprise, given the PS3 had a complete lack of support for PS2 peripherals. The backwards compatibility is actually something I care about, but just like I still have my PS and PS2, I'll still have my PS3 whenever I buy a PS死, so I just have to hook it up if I want to play PS3 games.

All in all, it's not like many of those features are really essential. If anything, the writer seems to give them a bigger importance than they deserve, all while pointing out how the PS死 can't do everything, which was obvious, given no device can do that.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Not why u would take features that the ps3 can do away. Add features, don't remove them!

ADMlNlSTRATOR

By the time I consider buying a PS4, the few issues that rustle my jimmies will have already been addressed in OFW updates.

R.I.P Ellie

They've taken USB support away completely? :/
    So what about copying data? Admittedly I rarely use a memory stick or external, but have used it to restore my PS3 and occasionally do an update...
    (Dumb thinking on my part)Just read the FAQ's page, there is still USB support, just not to be used as an External HDD.

Also, you can only share (something that they seem to throw down our throats) to Facebook? What the wank is that about??

Platinum Dohvakiin

Ok so my PS3 peripherals wont work on my PS4...umm ok never really expected them too, to begin with. I can't play CD's on my PS4...umm ok because i can't remember the last time I even bought a "CD" more less put on in my PS3 for that matter. No CRT TV support....who still owns one of those? And even when you hook one up to the PS3 it looks distorted ( at least to me). No external HDD storage via USB port...neither does the new Xbox if I'm correct, I could be wrong though, not sure.
    Most of the stuff that this guy is bitching about is not all that important. And how he belittles the whole 3D gaming on a PS4. To me just seems overly dramatic. The 4k resolution is another overly dramatic concoction. Seeing as not many people can even afford a 4k TV more less actually has one.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

Lvl 6 - Silver

although it doesn't effect me directly but not being able to use a cd for music is quite annoying. also that you can upload to youtube, so it will be a bit limited for this site as well as most of the trophy guides have videos from youtube (although I am sure someone will find a way to do it)

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Yeah the only thing I find annoying in there is the videos only to facebook thing.

Which I'm going to take a guess that we will eventually be able to go to youtube.

Sig & Avy by DaRe_xLw

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    The only thing I'm really wowed about is no CDs. Playing them is kind of like, "why would I choose my console to do that?", but I'm mostly bummed about not being able to use CDs to put music on the system.
    more diodes = more $$$

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    Ok so my PS3 peripherals wont work on my PS4...umm ok never really expected them too, to begin with. I can't play CD's on my PS4...umm ok because i can't remember the last time I even bought a "CD" more less put on in my PS3 for that matter. No CRT TV support....who still owns one of those? And even when you hook one up to the PS3 it looks distorted ( at least to me). No external HDD storage via USB port...neither does the new Xbox if I'm correct, I could be wrong though, not sure.
    Most of the stuff that this guy is bitching about is not all that important. And how he belittles the whole 3D gaming on a PS4. To me just seems overly dramatic. The 4k resolution is another overly dramatic concoction. Seeing as not many people can even afford a 4k TV more less actually has one.
    I didn't want to post my thoughts about this, but you said exactly what I thought. On top of that, with the Gaikai service, isn't the backwards compatibility issue a non-issue? And the last I heard about 4K TVs was a $10,000 price point.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by mikesorrell View Post
    I didn't want to post my thoughts about this, but you said exactly what I thought. On top of that, with the Gaikai service, isn't the backwards compatibility issue a non-issue? And the last I heard about 4K TVs was a $10,000 price point.
    That's the idea: that the stream will allow for full backwards compatibility. However, we're still not sure how that will work, not to mention it might boil down to us having to buy the games again. There's also the fact that not everyone has an internet connection fast enough to stream games efficiently and that the service will surely not be available on many regions whenever it is finally launched. Naturally, most of those issues would be fixed with time, butI think the main problem here is that we'd probably have to pay for our games once again, and it's not like they'll have any added features or upscaled graphics like the HD ports.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That's the idea: that the stream will allow for full backwards compatibility. However, we're still not sure how that will work, not to mention it might boil down to us having to buy the games again. There's also the fact that not everyone has an internet connection fast enough to stream games efficiently and that the service will surely not be available on many regions whenever it is finally launched. Naturally, most of those issues would be fixed with time, butI think the main problem here is that we'd probably have to pay for our games once again, and it's not like they'll have any added features or upscaled graphics like the HD ports.
    I just find it funny that people are complaining that there will be no backwards compatibility when one of the first things announced for the PS4 was Gaikai. That was one of the big reasons why I got excited for the PS4 in the first place, and it humors me that people seem to have this selective memory of the features of the PS4, seemingly because of their hatred of all things Sony, is all.

ADMlNlSTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by mikesorrell View Post
    I just find it funny that people are complaining that there will be no backwards compatibility when one of the first things announced for the PS4 was Gaikai. That was one of the big reasons why I got excited for the PS4 in the first place, and it humors me that people seem to have this selective memory of the features of the PS4, seemingly because of their hatred of all things Sony, is all.
    Gaikai isn't true backwards capability. It's a simulation of the game, which requires an entirely new user license...even if you already own an older copy from PSone, PS2 or PS3. Even the digital versions re-released on PSN of classic PSone/PS2 games wont be compatible with the PS4. I feel Nag's pain, and I hope they sort this out.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i use my ps3 for gaming, not listen to music or watching movies. idk when or who decided that a GAMING console needed to be anything besides that! if u want music turn on the radio, if u want to watch tv turn on ur damn tv after all thats y we have them, and who buys cd's nowadays anyway? thats my thoughts

Deathless Destroyer

The only thing that bugged me was the complete lack of DLNA support and not being able to put your own mp3 files on the system, which will both be addressed before I buy the system in January. Calm down and give Sony a little time - the PS3 some bought in 2006 is a very different overall machine to the PS3 now.

PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 by Dec14 / $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

KCCO!

These things aren't a big deal for me at all. I use my console for gaming only, and the occasional Netflix viewing.

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

I only really use my consoles for gaming so I'm largely unaffected. Still interesting to see what all it doesn't do though

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Gaikai isn't true backwards capability. It's a simulation of the game, which requires an entirely new user license...even if you already own an older copy from PSone, PS2 or PS3. Even the digital versions re-released on PSN of classic PSone/PS2 games wont be compatible with the PS4. I feel Nag's pain, and I hope they sort this out.
    I know it's not true backwards compatibility, that it's just an emulation service, and I too feel Nag's pain. I would love to be able to play my PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on my PS4, but because of the fact it won't play the discs (and a myriad of other reasons) I'm still keeping my PS3 and still have my PS2. I'm more excited for the titles that I missed out on.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Right - Almost none of these issues affect me. I watch blu rays and play Playstation games on my Playstation - I have an HDMI tv and don't really plan on ever owning anything other than that...so, couldn't care less about the lack of support for anything but HD - CD's...lol waste of pressing the "eject disk" on my playstation. since one never will be put into my machine.
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast