Killzone: Shadow Fall: from disc to game in less than 3 minutes

This is a discussion on Killzone: Shadow Fall: from disc to game in less than 3 minutes within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The technology behind the PlayStation 4 has allowed Guerilla Games to vastly reduce load times in Killzone: Shadow Fall , ...

Drunken Nights

Killzone: Shadow Fall: from disc to game in less than 3 minutes

The technology behind the PlayStation 4 has allowed Guerilla Games to vastly reduce load times in Killzone: Shadow Fall, according to managing director Hermen Hulst.

Demoing the game on PS4 to Polygon today, Hulst said the studio timed how long it takes for the game to start up from when the player inserts a physical disc into their PS4 to when they begin playing the single-player campaign. According to Hulst, from disc insertion to the 1.5 minute introductory movie to profile creation to getting into the game takes 2 minutes 44 seconds.

"The experience when you have a disc and you put it in the PlayStation 4 is so much more seamless compared to that of current-gen gaming," he told Polygon. "There's no more loading screens between levels, and I think that's a massive technical achievement. When we commenced this project, we actually weren't convinced it was going to be possible."
    Hulst said in hindsight, load screens are a bit "retro" and that, somehow, over the past seven to eight years, it's become acceptable for players to have to wait. "We're very proud that you no longer have to do that," he said. "You put in a disc and it's going to take 30 seconds to get into the menu. Then if you immediately press X to start the single-player campaign, a 1.5 minute introduction video that explains what happened at the end of Killzone 3 will play." After that, players will be thrown straight into the game.

If players opt to start playing the game as it downloads, Hulst explained that the game will download the first two levels, and as players play through these levels the rest of the game will download in the background. In the case where players have a relatively fast internet connection, the game should transition to the next level seamlessly. If players finish the first few levels and put the PS4 into standby mode, the game will continue to download in the background. Once it finishes downloading the single-player campaign, it will download the multiplayer game.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

i can wait a more when PS4 is in front of me

The Deathly Rhythm

Thats cool, I hope all games next gen does that
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Lvl 9 - Gold

sounds good just gotta wait for my ps4 when all the bugs are ironed out...... lately the bigger the game the buggier they are

Game on....

We have waited long enough for the PS4 to be released and now the PS4 is rewarding us gamers by not making us wait while gaming... love it!!

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

That's a good thing to hear, i can understand long load times for big games on the current gen because of what it's running on but it would be a bit anticlimactic to boot up a PS4 game and go through 10 minutes of tapping fingers and whistling while you wait for it to become playable.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

sounds great. i generally dont mind load times but this is welcome

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

PRO Member

This will be interesting to see how next-gen Bethesda's developed games manage with the improvements (Fallout/Elder Scrolls single player). They're both expansive and coded like shit, so it'll be interesting how it take advantage of the 16 times of memory of the current gen.

Skyrim would take nearly a minute between loading screens on the PS3 when you had a larger save file (played more), which was only tolerable if you had a tablet, computer, or TV to distract yourself during the load. Hopefully it isn't as retarded (the proper use of the word haha) this time around.

I'm hoping to notice some big improvements on Assasin's Creed 4 on the PS4, being an open world game, yet being multi-gen/platform, I'm not expecting a huge leap. We'll have to wait for Infamous: Second Son to probably get a feel for open world improvements. I see Killzone:SF still being too corridor-ish to gauge how wide the loading spectrum will be.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

PRO Member

It was time if you ask me, glad to see it's finally happening.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

ya i cant wait top Play Ac4 and info about the load times is true thats Great