Sony Was "Caught off Guard" by Reaction to MP3/DLNA

This is a discussion on Sony Was "Caught off Guard" by Reaction to MP3/DLNA within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Many were surprised by the fact that Sony decided not to include MP3 and DLNA support in the PS4, but ...

Drunken Nights

Sony Was "Caught off Guard" by Reaction to MP3/DLNA

Many were surprised by the fact that Sony decided not to include MP3 and DLNA support in the PS4, but apparently Sony was even more surprised, caught off guard by an unexpectedly strong reaction from the customer base, as SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida told Giant Bomb in an interview.

There are so many people who passionately reacted to our announcement about the fact that there’s no MP3 support and DLNA support on day one. It’s not like we actively decided “Yeah, let’s not do this feature so that people will subscribe to Music Unlimited…” It’s not like that.

Like we’ve been saying, the focus has always been on game features. And some of the features that we wanted but we couldn’t get in on day one… game features… we’re very disappointed and worried about not having them on day one, and that’s always been of higher priority.

We didn’t really think about MP3 or DLNA. We thought “we’re gonna do that eventually… We’ve been doing it with all the products.” So it caught us off guard.

People don’t really talk about these features right? But when we said “We won’t have it” some got really mad and said “I canceled the preorder!”

"They all think its our evil plan to make people get a Music Unlimited subscription"

So as we speak the teams in Japan and in the US, the system guys, are discussing on how and when we can put these features on PS4.

La Mano de Dios

"Caught off guard"? Personally, I don't believe them. All the time they wanted to force us into Music Unlimited.

It'd be nice of them if they get to give support for those features in future updates.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Not only should it come with mp3 support, they really should be implementing a pandora or spotify app as well to keep up with all the other entertainment devices. Good to know they are listening to us fans though and let's hope they follow through.

Kiwi Defender

Didn't think that many people cared about the features for Sony to reply to the criticism, but I have no doubt they did it to attempt to get more support for Music Unlimited. Good thing is now they might actually support both things in the future.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Rangers F.C

I don't give a shit about it not supporting that stuff, I also have no intention of ever getting Music unlimited .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by juliuspleezer View Post
    Not only should it come with mp3 support, they really should be implementing a pandora or spotify app as well to keep up with all the other entertainment devices. Good to know they are listening to us fans though and let's hope they follow through.
    google play is superior

PRO Member

I don't even know what DLNA is :/

Lvl 8 - Gold

To be honest, I didn't really care about them not including it, and I won't use Music Unlimited, either. I use my game consoles for games first. If they add Netflix, I might use it for that, too, but the priority will always be for games. This might have been a bigger deal to me 10 years ago, but now, I really don't care about these things now.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Nice of them to explain themselves but still don't get why you should give a shit if it was there or not when you have at least three other ways to listen to music in your home to begin with.

If i wanted all singing, all dancing, spangly trouser wearing multimedia gaming then i'd only be playing on PC. I just want a console that plays games and makes them good enough to keep my two and a half decade long love affair with videogames intact. Anything else is a bonus.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Nice of them to explain themselves but still don't get why you should give a shit if it was there or not when you have at least three other ways to listen to music in your home to begin with.

If i wanted all singing, all dancing, spangly trouser wearing multimedia gaming then i'd only be playing on PC. I just want a console that plays games and makes them good enough to keep my two and a half decade long love affair with videogames intact. Anything else is a bonus.
    Said it better than I could, sir. Good work!

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post

Lvl 1 - Bronze

ya i was pissed when i heard they wouldnt support MP3 Fix it SONY

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Don't care. I pre-ordered mine to play games on.

illegal in 9 countries

Regardless of the PS4 being a hardcore gaming console or not, MP3 and DLNA support is essential to compete with XB1.

Gamers will vote with their hearts and minds, but casuals will vote with their wallets. If they see the XB1 has features the PS4 doesn't, Sony will lose the sale every time.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Wont really use it but would be nice to have I guess.