How to Install a Hard Drive in a Playstation 4

This is a discussion on How to Install a Hard Drive in a Playstation 4 within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Peter Brown shows you how to swap out your HDD for a faster SSD in your new PS4....

Drunken Nights

How to Install a Hard Drive in a Playstation 4

Peter Brown shows you how to swap out your HDD for a faster SSD in your new PS4.

PRO Member

Hopefully they eventually do a comparison of the standard HDD (5400 RPM), a 10k RPM HDD (presuming it's not capped), a SSHD, and a SSD.

Until I can see those types of results, I'm holding off on upgrading my drive, especially since I've had nothing but bad luck with SSD in my PC.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Rangers F.C

Why did it not launch with an SSD ? I would imagine a SSD would defo give an overall advantage but they are not that cheap, they are about 250 for a 500GB and 459 for a 1TB all made by Samsung .

I have a Samsung 250GB SSD and a 1TB sata on my PC and the SSD is the single best improvement for PC in years . All loading times are less than ten seconds, sometimes a couple seconds .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Why did it not launch with an SSD ? I would imagine a SSD would defo give an overall advantage but they are not that cheap
    Answered your own question.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Well, i think i'll stick with HDD, but by the time i buy a PS4 i think the SSD will be much cheaper.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Answered your own question.
    True, I think it sucks that you might want to upgrade to get the best out of it, to get on a level playing field it terms of memory its 250 for the 500GB put that to the 350 makes it a 600 pound console, the 1TB brings it up to 800 . The 500GB launch PS4 is far short of being enough when games are 50GB+ and the installs for the disk to work are not far behind .
    You could say you don't need one but I would like to bet that you do, 20 second load times straight at launch will only get worse and end up far too long . I would not have a problem if they shipped a version similar to the new Slim PS3 where you can add your own one, as long as it was much reduced in price .

Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 8 - Gold

Hopefully we get some benchmarks by next week. I'm curious to see how the SSD performs.