PS4 Sells 1 Million Units in 24 hours

This is a discussion on PS4 Sells 1 Million Units in 24 hours within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PlayStation 4 sold 1 million units in first day of availability | Joystiq PlayStation 4 sales passed the million mark ...

PRO Member

PS4 Sells 1 Million Units in 24 hours

PlayStation 4 sold 1 million units in first day of availability | Joystiq

PlayStation 4 sales passed the million mark within the console's first 24 hours at retail, Sony announced this morning. The PS4 launched in North America on November 15, so that figure is restricted to the US & Canada; the console comes to Europe on November 29, and Japan on February 22, 2014.

[developing...]
    That's pretty impressive, considering it's in one day, in only one of the markets. I believe it still has 11 more markets left to launch in, at least according to PlayStation 4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Grats to Sony!
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

PRO Member

They're pre-orders though, aren't they? Might as well be 1 million in 0 hours.

PRO Member

Not all of them. When Sony announced they had 1 million preorders a few months back, that was world wide, not just North America. A lot of stores had additional units that were reserved for in-store purchase only (non-preorder)
    <signature>
    </signature>

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    According to IGN they sold over 1,000,000 units. They announced at Gamescom that they have surpassed 1,000,000 pre-orders but they actually sold 1 million PS4s on launch day.

Lvl 9 - Gold

They said they hit 1.5m pre order also so I'm guessing this would be the ones they held back.

Buy my book, Alteration

All I'd like is just 1 in stock for myself.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Not all of them. When Sony announced they had 1 million preorders a few months back, that was world wide, not just North America. A lot of stores had additional units that were reserved for in-store purchase only (non-preorder)
    Why on earth would businesses hold back when they could have the money up-front? I could imagine a couple extra systems per store but cmon.

PRO Member

Why on earth would businesses hold back when they could have the money up-front? I could imagine a couple extra systems per store but cmon.
    I imagine it's to cater to both crowds, so not to alienate regular customers. It sucks to have a display of the next gen console to generate interest, only to then hear 'sorry, they're all reserved for other people'. I guess hearing 'sorry, they're all sold out' sends a more positive image about the product (they sell well) and the store (they don't come across as elitist).

When I was in line for my preorder @ BestBuy, they were handing out slips of paper to people that didn't preorder, and that was to ensure they weren't waiting in line for nothing. They tried to give me one, which I didn't need, and I noticed it said they had 55 extra total at the one store that weren't claimed by preorder. Whether or not that was 55 remaining for the store, or 55 remaining for the early opening, I have no idea.
    <signature>
    </signature>