No HDMI ports. Solutions?

This is a discussion on No HDMI ports. Solutions? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have an HDTV that got shorted out when lightning hit the backyard. The only casualty, luckily, were the 2 ...

PRO Member

No HDMI ports. Solutions?

I have an HDTV that got shorted out when lightning hit the backyard. The only casualty, luckily, were the 2 HDMI ports. Everything else survived just fine. I just unboxed my PS4 tonight and found the HDMI port on the back; somehow I never read that this was the only connection it would have.

I hate to replace the tv. It was barely out of warranty when the connectors shorted out, and even now it's only about 15 months old. Does anyone have a solution to this problem, other than replacement?

Any help at all is a huge thanks. Sucks having a PS4 I can't use.
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    Band of Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, The Walking Dead: Season One
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

Deathless Destroyer

Well if the PS4 only supports HDMI then there isn't much you can do. You could try hooking the PS4 to a PC and then, using the PC, transfer whatever you're doing onto the TV, but I'm not exactly sure whether you'd be able to change to whatever the PS4 is doing unless the HDMI cable is actually connected to a TV.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 8 - Gold

You could potentially go from HDMI to RCA, however I'm not 100% sure if it'll work. I found this cable that you might be able to use:

Insten Model 675753 - Newegg.com

I don't know if it'll work on your tv, however. My old HDTV still had RCA ports in it, however my new one doesn't (has 4 HDMI ports).

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Well if the PS4 only supports HDMI then there isn't much you can do. You could try hooking the PS4 to a PC and then, using the PC, transfer whatever you're doing onto the TV, but I'm not exactly sure whether you'd be able to change to whatever the PS4 is doing unless the HDMI cable is actually connected to a TV.
    This is the single stupidest thing I've ever read. Today. This afternoon. But still. Don't do that. It won't work.

If you have a spare HD monitor around you can try using that.

What other inputs does your TV have? Component? DVI? Depending on what you have available, you might be able to use an adapter, such as an HDMI-to-DVI. You will, however, see a noticeable drop in visual fidelity as a result.

Your best bet is obviously to buy a new TV, but if you'd rather not, you can try and get it repaired.

Hopefully you've learned your lesson and bought a shittonne of surge protectors.

Fight the Future

Go to Craigslist and buy a new television. This time of year people are practically giving away televisions because they plan on getting a brand new one on Black Friday. I know it sucks having to spend more money but unless you'd rather spend the money to get your current television fixed there isn't much you can do.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    This is the single stupidest thing I've ever read. Today. This afternoon. But still. Don't do that. It won't work.
    Was just trying to offer a way for him to use his PS4 without paying any fees. It is possible to hook the PS4 to a PC and to display whatever your PC is doing on a TV, so I thought you'd be able to do the same with a PS4.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    Go to Craigslist and buy a new television. This time of year people are practically giving away televisions because they plan on getting a brand new one on Black Friday. I know it sucks having to spend more money but unless you'd rather spend the money to get your current television fixed there isn't much you can do.
    It would probably end up being more expensive to get it fixed lol, A hdmi to dvi is about the only thing I can think of but that depends if your tv has a dvi port or not.

Negator

Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

First reset the tv to factory setting (almost forgot about this) unplug the tv for about 30 minutes (completely, all cables and it from wall) then turn the tv on with nothing plugged in, wait try to reset factory settings again then turn it off, connect the cables and try turning it on again (seems redundant but there is a handshake that happens in the chipset)

if that fails.

crack open the tv and take pictures of the power supply, chips boards etc. post them and there is a slight chance we(I) may be able to help you fix it. A few things to know. Do you have a multimeter? Is the AC/DC converter internal or external? If you are unsure does your tv plug in to the wall via a straight cable (internal) or is there an annoying fat brick halfway thru the power cable.

Before a flame war starts, an FYI. I have 10 years+ of electrical exp. a Computer Engineering Degree and fixed an Analog (Vacuum Tube) Nuclear Reactor for 3 years. So fixing a tv is not too hard, just hope we can webinar this.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Also your tv model would help
    Another option is to float the internet looking for broken screened versions and scavenge a power dist/av output board from inside if you can. Some of the newer tvs are a beeeatch because the power dist board is integrated onto the screen array which most people dont have the tools or skill to take the two apart without destroying the screen.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by mikesorrell View Post
    You could potentially go from HDMI to RCA, however I'm not 100% sure if it'll work. I found this cable that you might be able to use:

Insten Model 675753 - Newegg.com

I don't know if it'll work on your tv, however. My old HDTV still had RCA ports in it, however my new one doesn't (has 4 HDMI ports).
    That cable won't work. HDMI is digital, Component is analog. At some point in the chain you would need a converter.

They do make HDMI to Component converters, but that will only solve part of the problem. He'll also need audio, though a workaround for that would be the optical port on the PS4. Or get a converter that also takes the audio from the HDMI port and outputs it as stereo.

The best case scenario would be if the TV has a DVI connection, but one of those with HDMI is rare. It's possible you'd have a VGA port on the back, but again you're back to needing a converter and something for audio.

Bottom line, HDMI is pretty important, and anything less than that could have problems.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by TheScott75 View Post
    That cable won't work. HDMI is digital, Component is analog. At some point in the chain you would need a converter.

They do make HDMI to Component converters, but that will only solve part of the problem. He'll also need audio, though a workaround for that would be the optical port on the PS4. Or get a converter that also takes the audio from the HDMI port and outputs it as stereo.

The best case scenario would be if the TV has a DVI connection, but one of those with HDMI is rare. It's possible you'd have a VGA port on the back, but again you're back to needing a converter and something for audio.

Bottom line, HDMI is pretty important, and anything less than that could have problems.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would work. I had a straight HDMI to RCA hookup on my old TV, without a converter, as the HDMI port burned out and was using that hookup for my blu-ray player, and it worked fine. Mind you, I had that in my family room and kept my PS3 in my bedroom with my new TV. My old TV had a digital/analog converter built in, as I got it a year after they started making everything digital.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Since troubleshooting seems to not be something anyone cares to try. DVI-HDMI using a computer monitor works. Amazon.com: DVI to HDMI Cable 6ft Male-Male: Electronics I did it at college. I would use a PS3 headset for Audio.

PRO Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and assistance, but I found a way. I decided to search for how hard it would be to change the HDMI ports, and the first result on Amazon was a site that sells the whole main board for the tv - with the HDMI ports on the board - for $65. It should be here today via UPS, and with any luck I'll be up and running tonight. And after having a PS4 for over a week I'll know what the load screen looks like.

Again, thank you all!
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by tsuave View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and assistance, but I found a way. I decided to search for how hard it would be to change the HDMI ports, and the first result on Amazon was a site that sells the whole main board for the tv - with the HDMI ports on the board - for $65. It should be here today via UPS, and with any luck I'll be up and running tonight. And after having a PS4 for over a week I'll know what the load screen looks like.

Again, thank you all!
    Glad to hear it! Good luck!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Glad to hear, let us know how it goes

PRO Member

It worked! I watched a video on Polaroid television repair which falsely made me think it would take 30 minutes, but two and a half hours later, success! Replaced the main control board, rescrewed 20+ tiny a$$ screws, hooked up the PS3 and PS4, and the new HDMI port is now working! Only have "Flower" to play, but nonetheless, the tv is good to go!!
    My PS3 Plats:
    My PS4 Plats:

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by tsuave View Post
    It worked! I watched a video on Polaroid television repair which falsely made me think it would take 30 minutes, but two and a half hours later, success! Replaced the main control board, rescrewed 20+ tiny a$$ screws, hooked up the PS3 and PS4, and the new HDMI port is now working! Only have "Flower" to play, but nonetheless, the tv is good to go!!
    Nice to see you got it working.

PRO Member

Scratch that. Played last night, worked fine. Watched parade this morning, worked fine. Just got home from dinner, red power light is on but nothing's happening. Remote won't turn it on, power button on tv won't turn it on. Unplugged and plugged back in, nothing.

It may be finished.
    My PS3 Plats:
    My PS4 Plats:

Negator

Black Friday / Cyber Monday

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay