A Bulk PSN Change Password Notification Has Been Deployed

This is a discussion on A Bulk PSN Change Password Notification Has Been Deployed within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS4 and PS Vita users are reporting that a bulk email is making the rounds prompting a change of PSN ...

PRO Member

A Bulk PSN Change Password Notification Has Been Deployed

PS4 and PS Vita users are reporting that a bulk email is making the rounds prompting a change of PSNpassword. There’s been no word from Sony as of yet concerning the nature of the reset. It’s completely possible that this is being done as a precaution, but it seems as though the entire community hasn’t received the notifcation. Reports suggest that users are being asked to change passwords on the PS4 and PS Vita platforms themselves.

This is either very good news, or possibly very bad news. If only a portion of the PSN community was contacted via email to change their passwords, that could indicate some sort of phishing scam. Being prompted on the device itself means the request is actually coming fom Sony, but to what end?

We’ve reached out to Sony for some clarification on the matter and will update if we receive further info.
    Source: A Bulk PSN Change Password Notification Has Been Deployed - iGame Responsibly

I've just been affected by this lol. When I made my account I was under age and I put a different DOB so now I need to contact Sony to get a password reset sent to my e-mail or something.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Kiwi Defender

I wonder if this could possibly be Sony trying to find out who owns both a Vita and a PS4 since the PS4's launch in order to pull some reward out of their asses .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I had to change my password last week. I checked the store on my vita and got on fine then signed off. But when I went back on less than 5min later I was told that my either my email address of password was wrong. I was pretty sure my email was right so I tried my password but after failing 3 times I tried my ps3 and got the same problem. Worried I was hacked I went to google then found out sony had reset a bunch of passwords.
    I also had the wrong DoB when I tried on my account (But knowing how lazy I am I knew I would have only changed the year so I got mine after a few tries). Mind you I don't know why my account even has the wrong DoB since I was old enough to make an account when I made the one I use.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I wonder if this could possibly be Sony trying to find out who owns both a Vita and a PS4 since the PS4's launch in order to pull some reward out of their asses .
    Just got off the chat with a Samantha C. she was kind enough to send me a reset link to my email. She told me that the reason for the prompt to change my password was probably because I hadn't changed my password in more than 6 months. I'm not convinced seeing as how a friend of mine has the same password since he reset it back when PSN got hacked and he didn't get any prompt. Then again he doesn't have a PS4 which was where I got that prompt.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I first got the prompt to change my password when logging in to the ps4, so I did. I had to change my log in info on the ps3 and it accepted my password no problem. Tired to connect to PSN on the Vita and it wouldn't let me log in with my new password. Had to change it but really just entered in the same password, saved and then tried on the Vita again and it went through. So I really don't know what is going on but I hope I dont have to change my password for a third time today.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Just got the prompt on my PS4 as well and took care of it. Got me a little worried, but hey, maybe we'll get some more free games out of it like last time :-D

Check Those Corners

I am making a new PSN account when I get PS4 anyway... doesn't affect me i guess.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by CMN View Post
    I am making a new PSN account when I get PS4 anyway... doesn't affect me i guess.
    Might be sorted out by then, too. For all we know this will only last a few more hours (then again, it could last a few months lol).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I used my Vita to reset the pw and everything is fine now.