Picked up a PS4 today :)

This is a discussion on Picked up a PS4 today :) within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Problems: 1. Impossible to create a new account. Filled out all the information 3 times and it kept giving me ...

PRO Member

Picked up a PS4 today :)

Problems:
    1. Impossible to create a new account. Filled out all the information 3 times and it kept giving me an error message and swallowing my fantastic name ideas. Tried it on the old PS3 and there were no problems.

2. Tried to purchase a PS+ upgrade and it wouldn't accept my card details. Gave up and tried it on the PS3.. worked perfectly.

3. 300 mb update, got to ~90% and then it reset back to 0 at some point. No idea what happened.

4. Earphones aren't compatible(?) with the PS4 controller. ;o

5. Massive slowdowns in Need for Speed: Rivals during a cutscene (and then on into gameplay) followed by a complete crash back to the PS4 menu.

lol wtf man. Any one else experienced any of these?

Downloading Contrast and Super Motherload now so we'll see how that goes. Initial thoughts on Need for Speed: Fun game, but doesn't really have those 'next-gen' graphics from what I can see. Apparently Forza on the xb1 looks amazing in comparison.

Anyone know if Killzone is worth playing? Internet here is terrible so I won't be using the online MP for any length of time.. what about the singleplayer?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    Problems:
    1. Impossible to create a new account. Filled out all the information 3 times and it kept giving me an error message and swallowing my fantastic name ideas. Tried it on the old PS3 and there were no problems.

2. Tried to purchase a PS+ upgrade and it wouldn't accept my card details. Gave up and tried it on the PS3.. worked perfectly.

3. 300 mb update, got to ~90% and then it reset back to 0 at some point. No idea what happened.

5. Massive slowdowns in Need for Speed: Rivals during a cutscene (and then on into gameplay) followed by a complete crash back to the PS4 menu.

Downloading Contrast and Super Motherload now so we'll see how that goes. Initial thoughts on Need for Speed: Fun game, but doesn't really have those 'next-gen' graphics from what I can see. Apparently Forza on the xb1 looks amazing in comparison.

Anyone know if Killzone is worth playing? Internet here is terrible so I won't be using the online MP for any length of time.. what about the singleplayer?
    I didn't have any of the issues, however I didn't try to create a new account, either. As far as Killzone goes, the single player isn't one of the strong points of the game.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikesorrell View Post
    I didn't have any of the issues, however I didn't try to create a new account, either. As far as Killzone goes, the single player isn't one of the strong points of the game.
    Yeah that seems to be a common opinion. I think I might just sell it then. Shame too since I had high hopes for it

PRO Member

I am quite enjoying the single player, the multiplayer is awesome :-) that jack of all trades trophy is gonna be a bastard though !!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Problems:

Need for Speed Rivals has a lot more going on then Motor Forza 5 and a lot more road to conquer.

This is one reason why I will not buy a PS4 till probably late next year unless the Second Son bundle is too good of a deal to pass up.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by tottenhamshelf View Post
    I am quite enjoying the single player, the multiplayer is awesome :-) that jack of all trades trophy is gonna be a bastard though !!
    Wish I could try the multiplayer but it's just not feasible right now.

Jack of all trades does sound like a pain in the ass though. I like trophies that give you a little bit of a taste of the MP but I'm not a big fan of trophies that require you to play the game far longer than you would normally be inclined to. There's only so much MP a human being can take

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    Need for Speed Rivals has a lot more going on then Motor Forza 5 and a lot more road to conquer.

This is one reason why I will not buy a PS4 till probably late next year unless the Second Son bundle is too good of a deal to pass up.
    I agree. I'm new to the genre I guess and loved Most Wanted.. Forza really doesn't match the fun vibes you get from a NFS game so whether the graphics are amazing or not, it would probably be a skip for me.

I was just a little disappointed that Rivals didn't seem to be much of a step up visually.

A plat a month!

Where did you find a PS4? I'm visiting retailers everyday trying to find one.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    I'm from Australia... I don't know how things work over in Chicago but if you wanted one for 2013 here you had two options.

#1: Preorder! I did this, but I didn't pick it up on day 1 like everybody else. A few people missed out on 'day 1' because the store didn't notify anybody. Just let them sit in the store room lol.
    #2: Second wave of pre-orders became available up shortly before the release on the 29th. They will arrive like late December, right before Christmas.

afaik, stores didn't stock any additional consoles. pre-orders only.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I agree. I'm new to the genre I guess and loved Most Wanted.. Forza really doesn't match the fun vibes you get from a NFS game so whether the graphics are amazing or not, it would probably be a skip for me.

I was just a little disappointed that Rivals didn't seem to be much of a step up visually.
    I haven't played a NFS game since around 2001. I picked up rivals and love it. Only one more race till I get my first ps4 platinum.

Legalize it...

I liked KZ and Im not a FPS fan. SP took 10 hours or so on Normal. Im also having fun playing it online and I dont usually play MP...

Fight the Future

Problems:

1. Your issues may be due to the PSN still being overloaded with the PS4 launch. When it launched in NA I know I had problems logging into my account but it was sorted a few hours later.

2. Again, probably a PSN issue.

3. Same as above. When there are tons of people overloading the system, updates will do things like that.

4. Every headphone set I've tried in the DS4 worked fine so I don't know what the problem would be there.

5. I haven't personally played Rivals but I have heard it is pretty glitchy across all platforms. I've watched quite a bit of livestream footage of it from the PS4 and never noticed any issues though. If it is constantly connected to PSN and the network is acting up it could potentially mess with the game too.

As far as Killzone being worth it, well that depends on if you like the Killzone games. I have always been a fan of Killzone but I never thought it was an amazing series, just slightly above average. Shadow Fall is my favorite in the series in terms of campaign and it definitely has the best gameplay out of all the games in the series. I know I had a great time with the singleplayer and most people I've talked to really enjoyed it too.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    Gamestop is supposed to have a good stock of them (at least the stores in my area do); maybe try them online?

illegal in 9 countries

afaik, stores didn't stock any additional consoles. pre-orders only.
    I saw some PS4 stock in Big W here in Brisneyland.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Get bent...

I saw a couple PS4s and an Xbox One in stock at my local WalMart. The day after Black Friday too.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

the only issue i've noticed are incredibly slow downloads. file sizes that my ps3 would download in 30-40 minutes take about 2 hours on the ps4. i guess it's really not that big of a deal, as i'm a patient man. i just don't understand it.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by seether98 View Post
    I haven't played a NFS game since around 2001. I picked up rivals and love it. Only one more race till I get my first ps4 platinum.
    I'm getting absolutely destroyed in this game. I can do the races and stuff just fine, but I can never seem to make it back to the garage or whatever without getting busted. I got really close once, but I was reading some notification that popped up on the screen and slowly bumped into the wall of the garage, wrecking the car ;d

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    1. Your issues may be due to the PSN still being overloaded with the PS4 launch. When it launched in NA I know I had problems logging into my account but it was sorted a few hours later.

2. Again, probably a PSN issue.

3. Same as above. When there are tons of people overloading the system, updates will do things like that.

4. Every headphone set I've tried in the DS4 worked fine so I don't know what the problem would be there.

5. I haven't personally played Rivals but I have heard it is pretty glitchy across all platforms. I've watched quite a bit of livestream footage of it from the PS4 and never noticed any issues though. If it is constantly connected to PSN and the network is acting up it could potentially mess with the game too.

As far as Killzone being worth it, well that depends on if you like the Killzone games. I have always been a fan of Killzone but I never thought it was an amazing series, just slightly above average. Shadow Fall is my favorite in the series in terms of campaign and it definitely has the best gameplay out of all the games in the series. I know I had a great time with the singleplayer and most people I've talked to really enjoyed it too.

1/2/3 worked perfectly fine when I walked to the other room and tried it on the PS3. It's not a PSN issue, it's a PS4 issue.

4 Apparently quite a few aren't compatible from what I've heard.. I plugged mine into the controller and ! nothing.

5 I think it was a one-off. May have had something to do with the update I was downloading, which finished around the same time. Maybe. Haven't had any other problems with it yet so that's cool.

As for Killzone... I'm not such a big fan of it. It's ok, with 2 probably being my favorite in SP. Story is so important for me in games and KZ usually doesn't cut it, though they've always had potential. Nonetheless it's far from my favorite FPS and I'm not sure it's really worth the bother at this point. Personally I'm more interested in Warframe right now. Looks pretty interesting.

Get bent...

1/2/3 worked perfectly fine when I walked to the other room and tried it on the PS3. It's not a PSN issue, it's a PS4 issue.
    No.

It's the PSN.

PS4 and PS3 work differently on the PSN.

Same shit happened here in the U.S.

Network issues because of overload.

If both the PS3 & PS4 worked the same on the PSN, then PS3 users would have had issues as well, but they didn't. At all. Hmmm.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion619 View Post
    Network issues because of overload.
    ;o

I'm not convinced.

Doesn't seem to matter any more though. Fantastic.