PS4 Global Sales Update

This is a discussion on PS4 Global Sales Update within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; + Posted by Andrew House // President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment In what is shaping up to be ...

Drunken Nights

PS4 Global Sales Update

+ Posted by Andrew House // President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

In what is shaping up to be a historic year for gamers, I’m delighted to share an important new milestone with you. PS4’s North American debut on November 15th was PlayStation’s largest ever, with more than one million gamers picking up a PS4 in just 24 hours. Now, with PS4’s global launch expanding to a total of 32 countries worldwide, including Europe and Latin America, I’m proud to announce that more than 2.1 million PS4s have been sold.

It’s an impressive and record-setting accomplishment for our company and for our industry, and we couldn’t have done it without you. I want to personally thank PlayStation fans, both old and new, for your vote of confidence. The best part: the PS4 journey has just begun. In addition to an incredible lineup of PS4 games from the best developers in the world, we will continue to introduce valuable new features and services to PS4 in the months and years ahead.

While PS4’s capabilities will continue to evolve, our commitment to gamers and breakthrough entertainment remains steadfast. We believe that videogames represent the pinnacle of artistry and entertainment, and we will work tirelessly to make sure that PlayStation remains the best place to play.

Thank you for your passion and your support — we couldn’t have done this without you.

Playstation Blog

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Staggering, even with the positive start Sony had to the hype machine for PS4, i did not think it would sell this much so quickly. Pleasing news for Sony and for the industry.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

one console to rule them all

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 9 - Gold

Definitely nice to see it selling well. I also noticed a significant jump in the number of players online on KZ:SF during my normal play hours after the system launched outside the US, so that was awesome.
    Hopefully they can keep this momentum going and hit 10 million by next Christmas, if not sooner.

PRO Member

Such a strange outcome this gen... Wii U a massive failure and the xb1 doing fine, but struggling to match the PS4.

I'm worried about the xb1. Will they have the kind of games they're going to need to rival Sony in the long-term?

Kind of don't want the PS4 to dominate too much.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    Kind of don't want the PS4 to dominate too much.
    Steam Machines will threaten even the most solid game library. Sony wont walk away with this generation so easily.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Good to see the PS4 doing so well. It will be interesting to see what happens with the numbers when it is released in Japan.

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Steam Machines will threaten even the most solid game library. Sony wont walk away with this generation so easily.
    The back-catalog of Steam games alone rivals the new consoles (minus exclusives, of course )

PRO Member

It's nice to see Sony's numbers doing great. Especially when they expect 5 million sold by March which seems to be about right, especially when it launches on February in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Sony sell around 10 million by Christmas next year. However that Steam Machine is a big threat and once Titanfall hits on Xbox One and who knows any other good exclusive of theirs then Sony might get some bigger competition that what it's got right now.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Du wirst geil

Meh, numbers are just numbers. Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic news and all but who really cares?

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

DON'T BLINK

To be honest, and sorry to get off topic but others have brought it up, am I the only one who doesn't give two flying fucks about the steam machine? I mean seriously, if I wanted to play those games, I'd just fire up my computer. If I want to play em while sitting on my couch, I'll just hook my computer up to my tv. What really is the point of the steam machine?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    To be honest, and sorry to get off topic but others have brought it up, am I the only one who doesn't give two flying fucks about the steam machine? I mean seriously, if I wanted to play those games, I'd just fire up my computer. If I want to play em while sitting on my couch, I'll just hook my computer up to my tv. What really is the point of the steam machine?
    Most people (and by this I mean the general public and those who are completely lost in terms of video games) see a console (Steam Machine being a console-ish type of machine to them) much more attractive and easier to use than us actual gamers. Then there are those console "gamers" who've never actually played on PC or are afraid to build one because they lack the drive to actually read up and see how easy it can be to actually maintain your PC up to date to run all games. So having a Steam Machine could possibly bring the PC-ish experience to them for the general public making it look as another new console and for the "gamer" making it much more noob friendly to upgrade your build.

If you look at it how any normal business, company, etc would. There's money involved and we all love to get money.

I for one am a little excited for the Steam Machine because well, it does make things much easier for me. Not something I'm eagerly awaiting but definitely something I'll end up buying at some point.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Im glad to see that the PS4 is having such great sucess so early in its release. I for one am enjoying the hell out of mine..

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by CurseShooter View Post
    Most people (and by this I mean the general public and those who are completely lost in terms of video games) see a console (Steam Machine being a console-ish type of machine to them) much more attractive and easier to use than us actual gamers. Then there are those console "gamers" who've never actually played on PC or are afraid to build one because they lack the drive to actually read up and see how easy it can be to actually maintain your PC up to date to run all games. So having a Steam Machine could possibly bring the PC-ish experience to them for the general public making it look as another new console and for the "gamer" making it much more noob friendly to upgrade your build.
    I don't play on PC because it has been a major hassle in the past to get games working properly and partly because it's expensive as hell. I use consoles because they offer a better experience overall.

I'll look into this 'steam machine' anyhow.

PRO Member

woah there, sailor.
    I don't play on PC because it has been a major hassle in the past to get games working properly and partly because it's expensive as hell. I use consoles because they offer a better experience overall.

I'll look into this 'steam machine' anyhow.
    Just saying some people are more into things than others.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    What is this "steam machine" that you speak of??

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I've been reading a lot lately that analysts predict this to be the last console release before they are phased-out, but I can't see why that would be, especially in light of the level of success being reported above. Can anyone explain why analysts are predicting that the PS4 may be the last console launch? Is it because of a growing popularity for services like Steam? Generally speaking, I personally don't enjoy playing games on a computer (particularly using a mouse and keyboard, although I do prefer games like Age of Empires and Heroes of Might and Magic on a PC), and I feel that there are enough of us console-only gamers out there to continue supporting the release of newer consoles. So what basis to analysts have for making these claims?