Killzone Shadowfall Campaign mechanics...pretty annoying...

This is a discussion on Killzone Shadowfall Campaign mechanics...pretty annoying... within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Jeezus! Lemme just talk about the Checkpoints... the checkpoints in a game can really just make you want to stop ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Killzone Shadowfall Campaign mechanics...pretty annoying...

Jeezus! Lemme just talk about the Checkpoints... the checkpoints in a game can really just make you want to stop playing a game because they are so FRICKIN terrible! I just started the game, im on chapter 2, I just passed the part where I've ordered my OWL to kill two Helghast and im getting past some frustrating parts.....10-15 minutes past where I believed that if I died Id be checkpoined right to that spot or at least at a spot 1-2 minutes prior. NOPE! Im alllllllll the way back at the part where I have to order my OWL to attack... again!

Then theres the matter of Helghast not only being able to make EVERY SHOT COUNT no matter HOW FAR you are! But when I think Im hiding behind a rock or a barricade safe and sound from gunfire! NOOOOOPE! They can still shoot my hair! Yes I said hair! Cuz that must be the only part of my body sticking out!

Let me start by saying this Killzone is a visually SEXY looking game! But Im not sure if its because of the brightness or hue or my eyes are weaker than I thought they were! But when I try to look for my objective location I find that I have to spin around looking for it constantly pressing up cuz it blends in so well with the background!

Anyone else notice these things or something else I have not mentioned? Or did you not notice any of this?
    Last edited by tai363; 12-11-2013 at 12:56 PM.

INTJ

i dont like games that make checkpoints like shadow fall did either.

either you do them frequently or don't do them at all. i have this massive 5 minute fight then when i die once i have to start it all over again gets very frustrating.

PRO Member

The biggest fault I found with the campaign was the objective marker, and the game informing you that your objective had updated. I agree with you that it required you to spin your screen around looking for the tiniest of reticles, that was always orange, which a lot of the time would just blend in with the surrounding colors or lights. Pretty annoying, and easily fixable, so hopefully they do something about it.

I didn't find the checkpoint system all that bad, and I played on Hard. I always felt that a death on my part was due to something I didn't do right. The only time I found the checkpoint system annoying, was the glide suit part, yet a lot of that was due to the game never informing you of the visual markers to follow, it simply being far too long, and always having to redo the entire thing even if you died near the end.

I would say not to get discouraged with the second chapter, as it will probably be one of the longer ones you're going to play, simply because you'll be learning the ins-and-outs of the gameplay the entire time. You'll come to realize that the longer you're visible to an enemy, the higher their accuracy is, so always look for a nice retreat to recoup health, even if it means running away to a safer area, or playing cat and mouse with enemies.

As a single player experience, it's fairly mediocre, and since multiplayer isn't my thing, I've already traded it for LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    I didn't find the checkpoint system all that bad, and I played on Hard. I always felt that a death on my part was due to something I didn't do right. The only time I found the checkpoint system annoying, was the glide suit part, yet a lot of that was due to the game never informing you of the visual markers to follow, it simply being far too long, and always having to redo the entire thing even if you died near the end.
    Deserving a death or not isn't always the main problem... repeating 5-10 min stages over and fucking over is the problem. It can be hard to find a balance sometimes since too many checkpoints can cripple difficulty, but it's something that they should have ironed out prior to release. It's that important.

Of course there's never any problem if you rarely ever die like Pro Shuklar

It's a shame the overall package seems to be pretty mediocre though. They've had 4 chances now to 'wow' everybody but they keep messing it up. I would love to know how the developers operate, because they must be aware of their weaknesses by now.. blows my mind that they don't take the effort to strengthen them.

Lvl 9 - Gold

The forest section of chapter 2 was easily the most frustrating part as far as checkpoints go, yes. Many of the big firefights have mid-fight checkpoints, so they aren't too bad. But that forest section, you basically have to get to the objective before it makes another checkpoint, and when you're just learning the game, with that huge open area, with the alarms that ring in an endless stream of enemies once they go off until you hack them, it can be very frustrating trying to get to the objective to get the next checkpoint. Took me many, many tries on my first playthrough (on Hard). Once I figured out where all the enemies are and their patterns and such, I can run through that section now, stealth killing everyone and hacking the alarms without ever being seen. It just has a really steep learning curve right at the beginning. If you can stick with it and get through that chapter, it gets a lot easier going forward.

And I agree, the objective marker is really hard to spot, more often than it should be. Add to that the lack of a map, even when you hold to go to the objective screen, and it can make the experience quite maddening. Just remember to use your OWL in defense mode if you find yourself taking too much fire. I really underused it in the campaign, which made it much harder than it needed to be.

Deathless Destroyer

I don't have a PS4 (and as a result KZ:SF) yet but I also read that if you quit the game before you finish a chapter you have to start the chapter all over again as a result of the game not actually saving your progress at the "checkpoints". While this will very likely be fixed soon on top of the PS4 suspend/resume update coming soon that would be very annoying if you suddenly had to stop playing the game and turn off the system.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    I don't have a PS4 (and as a result KZ:SF) yet but I also read that if you quit the game before you finish a chapter you have to start the chapter all over again as a result of the game not actually saving your progress at the "checkpoints". While this will very likely be fixed soon on top of the PS4 suspend/resume update coming soon that would be very annoying if you suddenly had to stop playing the game and turn off the system.
    I played the game on launch day and never had that issue so whoever told you that probably just encountered a glitch.

Kid, not loser

I had many of these issues with the game myself. The forest level easily the most frustrating. I've still yet to put my time in to beat the game but it gets a bit better. Finding the orange marker gets easier but still frustrating. The check points get much better though.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    The forest section of chapter 2 was easily the most frustrating part as far as checkpoints go, yes. Many of the big firefights have mid-fight checkpoints, so they aren't too bad. But that forest section, you basically have to get to the objective before it makes another checkpoint, and when you're just learning the game, with that huge open area, with the alarms that ring in an endless stream of enemies once they go off until you hack them, it can be very frustrating trying to get to the objective to get the next checkpoint. Took me many, many tries on my first playthrough (on Hard). Once I figured out where all the enemies are and their patterns and such, I can run through that section now, stealth killing everyone and hacking the alarms without ever being seen. It just has a really steep learning curve right at the beginning. If you can stick with it and get through that chapter, it gets a lot easier going forward.

And I agree, the objective marker is really hard to spot, more often than it should be. Add to that the lack of a map, even when you hold to go to the objective screen, and it can make the experience quite maddening. Just remember to use your OWL in defense mode if you find yourself taking too much fire. I really underused it in the campaign, which made it much harder than it needed to be.
    Yeah thanks for the heads up on the OWL defensive Ill start doing that! I just wished that the owl moved when you moved whenit has the shields up!! I am also playing on Hard and hard isnt so Hard it the mechanics thats making it that way!

Lvl 5 - Silver

Yes in fact that did happened while I was doing Chapter 2! I quit the game and thought it would auto-save my last 2 misnutes of gameplay! NOPE! Im all the way back when I ahve to order my OWL to kill two guards again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    I had many of these issues with the game myself. The forest level easily the most frustrating. I've still yet to put my time in to beat the game but it gets a bit better. Finding the orange marker gets easier but still frustrating. The check points get much better though.
    I hope the CPs do get better! Becuase while I was still playing chapter 2 I was under heavy fire from like 3-4 Helghast soilders! I died and the Cp spawned right there in front of them again! And they Helghast ran right back over to me like I never died in the first place! But Ill try sticking with it!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    Deserving a death or not isn't always the main problem... repeating 5-10 min stages over and fucking over is the problem. It can be hard to find a balance sometimes since too many checkpoints can cripple difficulty, but it's something that they should have ironed out prior to release. It's that important.

Of course there's never any problem if you rarely ever die like Pro Shuklar
    I'm thinking I must have been super lucky, because every time I did die multiple times, were never far from checkpoints.

I experienced this early on in the game, yet never experienced after saving within a level.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I just finished the campaign. I got my PS4 on Black Friday along with Killzone Shadowfall, Call of Duty Ghost and Need for Speed Rivals. So naturally, I'm comparing KZS with CODG... and honestly, I prefer KZS. Single and multiplayer. Given the popularity of of COD and Halo, I just don't understand why this franchise hasn't taken off yet. It is undeniably technically superior, so I have to assume that some of the problem is some of the things mentioned here. There were a few moments where I was not sure of what I needed to do even with the objective marker. These were the zero G sequences and I had to control my floating somehow.. But I got through it. And even though the campaign as at 60 fps and 1080p, the aiming and shooting was not as smooth as COD. Nowhere near it, but it worked. I just think the story here was awesome and quite frankly, took a lot of balls. This was obviously an allegory for the USA on and after 911 mashed up with the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhealer View Post
    There were a few moments where I was not sure of what I needed to do even with the objective marker. These were the zero G sequences and I had to control my floating somehow..
    Yeah I just finished that chapter and im saying they didnt even MENTION how you were supposed to ascend or descend I had to figure out it was for descend and for ascend!

Im starting to notice two things dealing with this game:
    1. Im starting to find it hard to pickup my contoller and start playing this game.... the campaign is makinig me not even want to play KZs MP Im just going on my PS3 playing last of us for all my MP needs!

2. This game to me anyway feels slightly rushed! Like it was made just to show the PS4s graphical prowess and everything else was just to hsve something there! Im not feeling emotional towards any of the characters the pacing is so fast its like

Toggle Spoiler

Me: oh my---- Story fast forwards...3 years later..8 years later... like did i ever have Dad in the first place? No room for any connection!

But I am only on chapter 4 or 5 or whatever so who knows!

Kid, not loser

I really think the problem this game really had was that the devs decided to take the path on non-linearity. It seems that this is why the game didn't succeed so well in reviews and is the main reason for our problems. Not saying it couldn't have been done, just they could have really done it much better, imo. Still a good game just I think the levels where you choose where to go and pick the objective you want to do really dropped the pace of what the other games had, and what made them fun.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The checkpoint system can be a huge pain sometimes - especially when it comes to the later fire fight segments. The 2nd level, forest, is definitely the worst of all. I had no idea what I was supposed to do and that is not a good sign for the rest of the game when it is so early into the game.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I got so bored of KZ shadow fall I started chewing my arm off was so much more fun