Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

MGS: Ground Zeroes Is Short. Really Short.

This is a discussion on MGS: Ground Zeroes Is Short. Really Short. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Fox :cough: Big Boss Emblem in most MGS games: Clear the game in less than 5 hours. ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    :cough: Big Boss Emblem in most MGS games: Clear the game in less than 5 hours.

Speedrun of the main mission takes 5 minutes so that argument really hurts the game.

"Judged just by the core story mission, Ground Zeroes is short," Game Informer writes in the cover story (only available in the magazine, not online). "We completed it in just less than two hours."

"Core story mission".

People also seem to be forgetting about the extra ops that are also included.
    Fetch quests will get boring fast. After all, it's all played on the same map.

This is considered the "Prologue" to MGSV - like the Tanker Mission of MGS2, or the Virtuous Mission of MGS3 - neither of those were very long either [Like someone pointed out in the actual article - MGS2's tanker mission can literally be beaten in less than 9 minutes by skipping cutscenes and ignoring unimportant, non-story stuff].
    Except the tanker mission was included with the game and wasn't priced at $30. Unless they decide to deduct that $30 from the full TPP game then it's nowhere near the same.

I don't think people were expecting that much in the first place, it's the price that got to them since they were expecting at least a little more that 2 hours of story time.

I didn't expect much, 3 hours max, but the people at GI pretty much confirmed that everything that might be interesting, like the mother base free roam, will only be available in TPP.

I've been a MGS fan since the first one and I was never disappointed with a MGS game, but I'm having second thoughts on this. I have my pre-order all paid for but I'll keep an eye out on more info. There's a difference between being a huge fan and being a mindless consumer.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    MGS4 can be beaten in like a hour if you just cut out all the cutscenes/install times.
    Let's not get ridiculous here. MGS4 can probably be beaten in, maybe 1 hour 30 minutes, with a perfect run, skipping cut scenes and avoiding install times.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Let's not get ridiculous here. MGS4 can probably be beaten in, maybe 1 hour 30 minutes, with a perfect run, skipping cut scenes and avoiding install times.
    World record without New game+ with tuxedo only = 1 Hour 35 Minutes:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GXdX23YwOwLVQB

World Record with New game+ = 1 Hour 32 Minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...96i1UbCjNLjXCh

Arguing about playtime in games is pointless though, Journey is like a hour long

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Speedrun of the main mission takes 5 minutes so that argument really hurts the game.
    And a speedrun of the Tanker in MGS2 can be done in less than 10 minutes, getting every dogtag on Extreme. The entirety of MGS2 can be completed within 1 and a half hours.

I'll say that again. The entirety of MGS2 - a then $50 game when it came out - can be completed in less time than this $30 entry.

Fetch quests will get boring fast. After all, it's all played on the same map.
    True - but it's still extra content that gives extra playtime. Getting bored of it is a personal thing and doesn't remove the fact that it's there.

I don't think people were expecting that much in the first place, it's the price that got to them since they were expecting at least a little more that 2 hours of story time.
    Why? It was said time and again that this was nothing more than a prologue. If people expected more than 2-4 hours out of the story, that's their fault. Honestly, $30 for a 2 hour long story is more than fair, when a game can be released these days at a full $60 and have a 4 hour campaign [Games like CoD: Ghosts].

I didn't expect much, 3 hours max, but the people at GI pretty much confirmed that everything that might be interesting, like the mother base free roam, will only be available in TPP.
    Again - expecting that much out of what was being released as a prologue is silly. When has Metal Gear ever given you access to deeper stuff like Base Building at the beginning? Even Peace Walker doesn't let you start doing much with Mother Base until a while into the first chapter.

Also - if you didn't expect more than 3 hours...why is this so bad? Why does it suddenly have you on the fence? You knew what it would cost, you had your expectations of it already, where's the actual problem? You're essentially sounding peeved that the game did exactly what you thought it would.

That makes no sense, really.

GI also didn't have to confirm anything - it was already said that Ground Zeroes would have a small area to play in as a means to give people a taste of what was to come, and tide them over for TPP.

They also only had 4 hours to mess around with it - how much did they really skip out on? We know that main missions can have multiple objectives to be completed - that aren't actually necessary to the completion of the mission, but could help further the story.

How much did they leave out?

The average game like this has roughly 10-12 hours of playtime, barring any extra stuff. If a game were released at half that price, I would expect at least half of that content - given that this is 2 hours for the main missions, and ton of extra missions, I'd say there's at least 4-5 hours worth of content available.

Also - I just want to point out, that this only says the story can be beaten in 2 hours. So could Skyrim. Hell, even Dark Souls can be beaten within an hour and a half. Both cost twice as much as Ground Zeroes.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

INTJ

elder scrolls 3 morrowind can be done in 7 minutes with no glitches/TAS

must mean it's a terrible game

PRO Member

And a speedrun of the Tanker in MGS2 can be done in less than 10 minutes, getting every dogtag on Extreme. The entirety of MGS2 can be completed within 1 and a half hours.

I'll say that again. The entirety of MGS2 - a then $50 game when it came out - can be completed in less time than this $30 entry.
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Bottom line is this: Price is too high given the content we seem to be receiving. I'm going to wait for a price drop.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Bottom line is this: Price is too high given the content we seem to be receiving. I'm going to wait for a price drop.
    And what exactly is dumb about it? I literally proved both instances of my claims - MGS2 can be beaten in less time than the supposed length of Ground Zeroes. An entire game is capable of being beaten in less time than a prologue.

A game that cost $50 when it came out - and roughly $30 or $40 now as part of an HD Collection.

Also, Ground Zeroes can be beaten in 2 hours. That doesn't mean that's the average length it'll take the average gamer. You also have to keep in mind they only had 4 hours with the game. That's not a lot of time, and it likely caused them to rush through, not bothering with any real extras.

As I also said before - Skyrim can be beaten in 2 hours. Dark Souls can be beaten in and hour and a half. I'm sure you know that both of those games can last hundreds of hours.

Why are we assuming that just because the main mission is short - that means it won't last? Skipping a bunch of stuff in a game just to reach the end of the mission/story isn't really playing it, now is it? When I buy it - I'm going to try and do everything I possibly can - and then I'm going to try and see how many different ways I can complete whatever goals it throws my way.

I'm bound to get a dozen or more hours of playtime out of it thanks to that alone - never mind the extra missions, and multiple difficulty levels.

I am confident there will be enough 'content' to justify the price, but my worry is that I'll lose interest as soon as the story stuff is over and be left with nothing to do after only a couple of hours.
    Also, way to contradict yourself, there.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Rise Above

thats probably not including cutscenes. i mean come on MGS 4 gameplay was roughly 2 hrs by just skipping through all mission briefings and cutscenes. MGS is all about the cinematics. cant wait to play ground zeroes

INTJ

PRO Member

And what exactly is dumb about it?
    MGS2 world record speed run time vs. MGSV blind run time.

How about 1hr30mins vs. 5mins to speed run GZ?

oh shit, that's 5% of MGS2's content

Also, way to contradict yourself, there.
    burpadurp.

enough content to justify the price vs. enough content that I actually wanna fuckin play. see: "my worry is that I'll lose interest as soon as the story stuff is over".

There are people that will absolutely enjoy GZ's 'side' content, but I'm not so sure that I will since I'm very much a beginner when it comes to this sort of stealth gameplay. To give some perspective, my experience with stealth games has been cheating at MGS2 when I was a kid by following the guide 99% of the way, and my recent playthrough of ACIV: Black Flag (lol).

Honestly though the deju vu/jamais vu segments sound really interesting, so I may find that I can really enjoy this kind of stuff once I give it a go.

When I buy it - I'm going to try and do everything I possibly can - and then I'm going to try and see how many different ways I can complete whatever goals it throws my way.
    Not my style unfortunately. With so many great games coming this year, plus some left over from last year, I tend to move on rather than squeeeezee every last drop out of a game.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Also - if you didn't expect more than 3 hours...why is this so bad? Why does it suddenly have you on the fence? You knew what it would cost, you had your expectations of it already, where's the actual problem? You're essentially sounding peeved that the game did exactly what you thought it would.
    I was expecting Mother Base Management at least as I'm really interested in seeing how that works. Just having one missions where you go to a certain location, take 2 people and get them to a helicopter just doesn't cut it.

They also only had 4 hours to mess around with it - how much did they really skip out on? We know that main missions can have multiple objectives to be completed - that aren't actually necessary to the completion of the mission, but could help further the story.

How much did they leave out?
    This I agree with and is the sole reason I haven't canceled my pre-order yet. After all we don't know if Mother Base's destruction can be played and that is a big part of the game.

As I said, I'm holding on to my pre order until I get more info. I've never been on the fence about a MGS game before (I don't count Rising here) but there's a first time for everything. I hope I'm proven wrong and this game turns out longer than everyone expected, but we'll see...

EDIT: Here's a more in-depth look at the lenght of the story mode.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...nd-zeroes.aspx

We started off our session at Kojima Productions by playing the main story mission of Ground Zeroes. Konami gave us four hours with the game, not five as some outlets have misreported. The PS4/Xbox One versions we played weren't final, but Konami says the majority of the changes in the public release will be aesthetic. Another Game Informer editor and I played the main mode and we both managed to beat it and watch credits roll within two hours.

During our four hours with the game we each played through the main story twice (our second playthroughs were significantly shorter because we knew where to go and were skipping cutscenes) and completed the previously mentioned missions.

PRO Member

This I agree with and is the sole reason I haven't canceled my pre-order yet. After all we don't know if Mother Base's destruction can be played and that is a big part of the game.
    Why do you preorder games? They never seem to run out unless you're after a collectors edition or sumthin'

Lvl 8 - Gold

Why do you preorder games? They never seem to run out unless you're after a collectors edition or sumthin'
    You know how they say: "Out of sight-out of mind." That way I don't have to worry about a particular game and thinking about if I'll have the money to buy it or not. And I rarely pre order anyway. Last game I pre ordered was TLOU Joel Edition.

PRO Member

You know how they say: "Out of sight-out of mind." That way I don't have to worry about a particular game and thinking about if I'll have the money to buy it or not. And I rarely pre order anyway. Last game I pre ordered was TLOU Joel Edition.
    lol fair enough. I do it myself too sometimes, I just don't know why I do it.

Though the one game I should have preordered I missed out on.. the moment we found out the Aus version of South Park was censored, all the import stores sold out ;o

PRO Member

If you've played MGS2, think of it as the Tanker Chapter. Simple as that.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

seems like it wont be worth the original pricepoint. ill wait for a digital discount

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

INTJ

get wrekd non believers

Last edited by Ps360; 02-13-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

get wrekd non believers

Glad that it's getting a bit more clarification on the length drama, there was always bound to be more than the story but short of shouting that in peoples ears and making them play it, people will assume the worst when given a ' fact ' like '2 hours of game ' as a headline.

Quite pleasantly surprised by the news of the AI being awesomely clever and the countless variables on taking out each guard, sounds like a MGS blend of Hitman/Splinter Cell.

Lvl 8 - Gold

One of the Tweets says: "It shows the shift in focus from story to gameplay." Not sure I like that. MGS has always been about story.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    assume the worst
    like the game is 2 hours long and padded out with meaningless side content that only a minority will want to play?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast