Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MGS: Ground Zeroes Is Short. Really Short.

This is a discussion on MGS: Ground Zeroes Is Short. Really Short. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Game Informer got their hands on a near-final build of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes for their March cover story, ...

Drunken Nights

MGS: Ground Zeroes Is Short. Really Short.

Game Informer got their hands on a near-final build of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes for their March cover story, and they say they beat the game's main mission (not including side quests or special console-exclusive missions) in less than two hours. Less than two hours!
    Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Is Short. Really Short.

Forget I Was Ever Here

Which is a good reason why it is not $59.99

It is time for me to go underground

Fight the Future

The PS4 version is what, $30? I'm sure I'll get more than enough enjoyment out of it to justify that purchase price and it'll give us a taste of what Metal Gear Solid V will be like.

Buy my book, Alteration

For a discounted price I guess that's not bad, and there's still side quests and stuff they didn't do.

Don't know why I care, I'm not getting it.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    Which is a good reason why it is not $59.99
    It's 66% the price of The Phantom Pain.

Sounds like it should be more like $15 or something like that.

O_o

I get that Kojima is super excited about about MGSV, and is using this to 'hold people over', but, c'mon, we can wait.

Ya' don't have to skim off the top just keep peoples' interest, it's Metal Gear, for God's sake.

Forget I Was Ever Here

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    The PS4 version is what, $30? I'm sure I'll get more than enough enjoyment out of it to justify that purchase price and it'll give us a taste of what Metal Gear Solid V will be like.

PS3 version is $29.99 while the PS4 version is $39.99

It is time for me to go underground

INTJ

the game is more about sidemissions than the actual story mission.

it sets up a prequel, but then after the prequel is over theres a ton of sidemissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ERICVOLTAGE View Post
    I get that Kojima is super excited about about MGSV, and is using this to 'hold people over', but, c'mon, we can wait.

Ya' don't have to skim off the top just keep peoples' interest, it's Metal Gear, for God's sake.

Kojima does everything for a reason. that man can make up the craziest shit and have a reason for it existing.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

it sets up a prequel, but then after the prequel is over theres a ton of sidemissions.
    I am confident there will be enough 'content' to justify the price, but my worry is that I'll lose interest as soon as the story stuff is over and be left with nothing to do after only a couple of hours.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

A few ways to look at this, cynically, you could say we are paying 30 for the sort of thing that appeared on a demo disc ( MGS 2 Tanker ) with other demos for about a fiver over a decade ago.
    Then you could also justify that by saying it's data alone probably takes up more room than the original MGS trilogy put together and that a few hours on story based stuff for a lower price isn't much worse than a full price game being 7-8 hours long ( which is another debate in itself ).

Personally, i see it as being coldly logical, it's a small chunk of a larger cookie, say that cookie could give you 8-10 hours on first playthrough ( or eating time for analogies sake ) then it stands to reason you aren't going to receive quite as many hours eating in the chunk as you are from the rest of the cookie. I also know that the opening part demo of MGS and that Tanker section in MGS 2 demo probably had more hours played than some big name full titles have ever had out of me, i'll still be getting Ground Zeroes because i believe in that level of replayability coming from it.

I can understand being cynical about it because quite frankly, it is a paid demo, albeit a large one, sadly demos are not much of a big thing now, hopefully, it will be Trial and Unlock for those that want to at least try it before plonking cash down on it.

Oh and to add, hearing that MGS V will have an advanced version of Peace Walker's base building and Fulton Recovery System is probably the best thing i've heard about the game to date.
    Last edited by Larrydavidsavatar; 02-05-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added opinion.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post

Kojima does everything for a reason. that man can make up the craziest shit and have a reason for it existing.
    Smells like Kojima-apologists.

Personally, I feel they're asking a bit much for what is essentially a Demo. Kojima himself called it a "tutorial" for MGSV: The Phantom Pain. (source)

Jeez, whatever happened to demos? They used to come on discs with great magazines like Official PlayStation, Hyper, and Game Informer, and the discs were full of great content and the demos were always fun. I still have a collection of demo discs for my PlayStation 2! So many great memories...

Great, now I'm bummed out. Thanks, Kojima, you ass. But I digress...

Charging $20 USD for previous-gen and $30 USD for current-gen (and it'll be closer to $30-$40 in EU and AUS) for Ground Zeroes is pretty shameful. Konami are basically milking fans by asking them to purchase content that should be free/much cheaper, or on the disc for Phantom Pain. And, no surprise, it's gonna sell gangbusters, and Konami will do it again. And again. Because that's what Publishers do.

It's a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    PS3 version is $29.99 while the PS4 version is $39.99
    Nah, it's $19.95 for digital and $29.95 for retail on PlayStation 3 and $29.95 for both physical and retail on PlayStation 4. All prices are in USD. (source)(source)

UPDATE: my information was a little out of date, there is indeed a retail copy for PlayStation 4.
    Last edited by Faust; 02-05-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Yeah, extra ops are fine and all but they're played on the same old map. Give me story over extra ops any time. I've expected this but it's still disappointing to get info like that as I was hoping for more. I'm a huge MGS fan but this is pushing it.

GameInformer is gonna have lots of info on GZ in the next month so I'll hold on to my preorder, standing by to hit that cancel button if I don't like what see.

There are a few things they didn't mention here and that might increase replay value. Mother Base's downfall wasn't mentioned and I'm sure that'll be playable. Also, Mother Base management wasn't mentioned neither and that might add a lot to the game especially if you can free roam around Mother Base as mentioned earlier.

PRO Member

Won't be able to judge until I see it for myself, but... it's hard to justify as a day 1 purchase.

Lvl 8 - Gold

**WARNING**

The article might contain SPOILERS!

Lots of new information on MGSV Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain | Metal Gear Informer

Toggle Spoiler

Looks like all the good stuff is out of GZ.

KCCO!

Having played multiple MGS games in my life, I'm inclined to agree with PS360 on this one.

PRO Member

I am a die-hard MG fan, but I don't like the milking factor here. It's one of those things that's good for them/bad for us.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I am a die-hard MG fan, but I don't like the milking factor here. It's one of those things that's good for them/bad for us.
    Depends how good the side content is, and tbh the Deja Vu/Jamais Vu missions sound pretty interesting.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post

Personally, I feel they're asking a bit much for what is essentially a Demo. Kojima himself called it a "tutorial" for MGSV: The Phantom Pain. (source)

Jeez, whatever happened to demos? They used to come on discs with great magazines like Official PlayStation, Hyper, and Game Informer, and the discs were full of great content and the demos were always fun. I still have a collection of demo discs for my PlayStation 2! So many great memories...

Great, now I'm bummed out. Thanks, Kojima, you ass. But I digress...

Charging $20 USD for previous-gen and $30 USD for current-gen (and it'll be closer to $30-$40 in EU and AUS) for Ground Zeroes is pretty shameful. Konami are basically milking fans by asking them to purchase content that should be free/much cheaper, or on the disc for Phantom Pain. And, no surprise, it's gonna sell gangbusters, and Konami will do it again. And again. Because that's what Publishers do.

It's a slippery slope.

Nah, it's $19.95 for digital and $29.95 for retail on PlayStation 3 and $29.95 for PlayStation 4, which is only available digitally. All prices are in USD. (source)(source)
    The PS4 version isn't available digitally only. Several stores are selling the physical copy of the PS4 version. I'm not sure if that holds true for Australia but in the States we get a physical copy.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

:cough: Big Boss Emblem in most MGS games: Clear the game in less than 5 hours.

But 2 hours is awful? It's a measly 3 hours less than the majority of all full fledged MGS titles. Also, how much of that is actual gameplay - IE: actual player controlled mission as opposed to cutscene?

"Judged just by the core story mission, Ground Zeroes is short," Game Informer writes in the cover story (only available in the magazine, not online). "We completed it in just less than two hours."

"Core story mission".

People also seem to be forgetting about the extra ops that are also included. This is considered the "Prologue" to MGSV - like the Tanker Mission of MGS2, or the Virtuous Mission of MGS3 - neither of those were very long either [Like someone pointed out in the actual article - MGS2's tanker mission can literally be beaten in less than 9 minutes by skipping cutscenes and ignoring unimportant, non-story stuff].

People are expecting way to damn much out of Ground Zeroes - it's NOT the entire game, if you expected some kind of super long story out of it - you never paid attention to any of the information released about it. I pretty much knew from the start that GZ wasn't going to be very long - I never expected it to be, especially after hearing that it was just the prologue.

Why anyone would is beyond me.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    all praise the kojima world order

(no really, Kojima knows what he's doin.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    :cough: Big Boss Emblem in most MGS games: Clear the game in less than 5 hours.

But 2 hours is awful? It's a measly 3 hours less than the majority of all full fledged MGS titles. Also, how much of that is actual gameplay - IE: actual player controlled mission as opposed to cutscene?
    MGS4 can be beaten in like a hour if you just cut out all the cutscenes/install times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast