Creator of Garry's Mod and Rust has a PS4/XB1 Devkit

This is a discussion on Creator of Garry's Mod and Rust has a PS4/XB1 Devkit within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Console Development | Facepunch Studios We recently got some devkits. I want to explain where we are with consoles.. because ...

INTJ

Creator of Garry's Mod and Rust has a PS4/XB1 Devkit

Console Development | Facepunch Studios

We recently got some devkits. I want to explain where we are with consoles.. because there’s been a lot of speculation on the forums and on twitter.

So with Rust, we are planning to port it to consoles. We haven’t started that process yet. We’re not planning anything until we’ve tried to get it running on one of the consoles and know what problems we’re going to face. It’s important to emphasise here that we’re porting TO consoles. We’re not making a dumbed down console version and then porting it back to the PC. So might happen, might not. Depends on a bunch of stuff. Either way neither the PS4 or XBone have any kind of early access program as far as I know, so it will be a while away.

The Steam Box has made us a bit more free. We can spend time making games that play awesome on the TV but don’t really shine in front of a PC. It’s not a risk anymore for us. It’s because of Steam Box we feel free to work on games like that. Even if they never reach the other consoles they now have a place on Steam. There’ll still be people who want to play them.

TLDR: We love the PC. It’ll always be our main target. We’ll always be porting away from it, not to it. We won’t ever sign exclusivity deals. You’ll always get our games on the PC first.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I remember hearing Rust may be coming to PS4. Would rather Garrys Mod for game modes like Prop Hunt. But it's far unlikely that's going to happen.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    I remember hearing Rust may be coming to PS4. Would rather Garrys Mod for game modes like Prop Hunt. But it's far unlikely that's going to happen.
    garrys mod is too unstable for ps4.

rust doesn't have garrys mod sized ambitions of "do whatever you want with anything". it's a survivor game.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'd enjoy Rust on PS4. I'm thinking of getting it on PC because it looks interesting and it doesn't require a good build.