Killzone Shadowfall actually ran at 960x1080 at Sub 60FPS in MP. Pixel amount is basically 720p

This is a discussion on Killzone Shadowfall actually ran at 960x1080 at Sub 60FPS in MP. Pixel amount is basically 720p within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; In Theory: 1080p30 vs 720p60 - could next-gen let us choose? • Articles • Eurogamer.net In the single-player mode, the ...

INTJ

Killzone Shadowfall actually ran at 960x1080 at Sub 60FPS in MP. Pixel amount is basically 720p

In Theory: 1080p30 vs 720p60 - could next-gen let us choose? • Articles • Eurogamer.net

In the single-player mode, the game runs at full 1080p with an unlocked frame-rate (though a 30fps cap has been introduced as an option in a recent patch), but it's a different story altogether with multiplayer. Here Guerrilla Games has opted for a 960x1080 framebuffer, in pursuit of a 60fps refresh. Across a range of clips, we see the game handing in a 50fps average on multiplayer. It makes a palpable difference, but it's probably not the sort of boost you might expect from halving fill-rate.

Now, there are some mitigating factors here. Shadow Fall uses a horizontal interlace, with every other column of pixels generated using a temporal upscale - in effect, information from previously rendered frames is used to plug the gaps. The fact that few have actually noticed that any upscale at all is in place speaks to its quality, and we can almost certainly assume that this effect is not cheap from a computational perspective. However, at the same time it also confirms that a massive reduction in fill-rate isn't a guaranteed dead cert for hitting 60fps. Indeed, Shadow Fall multiplayer has a noticeably variable frame-rate - even though the fill-rate gain and the temporal upscale are likely to give back and take away fixed amounts of GPU time. Whatever is stopping Killzone from reaching 60fps isn't down to pixel fill-rate, and based on what we learned from our trip to Amsterdam last year, we're pretty confident it's not the CPU in this case either.

It took so long to find out due to the fact that this is the first game that has ever faked 1080p like this.

A Explanation:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=878

This isn't true 1080p any more than using motion flow on your TV settings makes games run at 60fps.
    True, but this isn't 960 x 1080 scaled to 1920 x 1080 either, like how the Xbox would do it. When using 960 x 1080 of calculated data to draw a 1920 x 1080 frame, you have half of the pixels accurately calculated so the goal is to figure out the other half of the image as close as possible. With a traditional scaler, no matter how fancy your algorithm is to fill in that missing half, it only has the calculated 960 x 1080 of the current frame to use as input. So for instance a simple technique would be to just duplicate the 960 x 1080 data in order to get the final 1920 x 1080 image.

However the Shadow Fall MP technique uses the true calculated 960 x 1080 of the current frame + the offset calculated 960 x 1080 of the previous frame, which accurately shows the missing pixels one frame prior, as input in order to render the final 1920 x 1080 frame. To put it another way, the algorithm is using 1920 x 1080 worth of data to generate a 1920 x 1080 image with the catch being that half of the data is one frame out of date.

I'm not sure if the XB1 could use this technique since it would have to keep the previous frame in ESRAM in order to make use of it, and space in the ESRAM is already tight. Since all of the PS4's memory is the fast GDDR5, it can keep just about as much info as it wants from previous frames in order to improve image quality of subsequent frames.

So while Shadowfall MP doesn't render at true 1920 x 1080, it does a really good approximation of it, which is better than anything a traditional scaler could do. At some point we have to admit to ourselves that the resolution numbers alone aren't accurate enough to convey the image quality. Shadowfall MP not as good as 1920 x 1080 but it's a lot better than 960 x 1080. So what resolution should we say it is? I am not entirely sure.

Remember this?

Killzone Shadow Fall - Campaign hands-on, new multiplayer footage - PlayStation.Blog.EuropePlayStation.Blog.Europe
    US version: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...layer-footage/

Then there’s the competitive multiplayer mode which, like the game’s campaign, runs at native 1080p and 60 fps.
    Guerrilla: Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer runs at 60 fps "a lot of the time" • News • PlayStation 4 • Eurogamer.net

"We didn't want to make any graphical concessions. We didn't want to say, we can run at 60 constantly if we just half the resolution and take out all the destructibility and remove all the glass, for example. We didn't want to do that. We wanted to keep it really pretty and try to make it 60.
    pure false advertising.

Last edited by Ps360; 03-03-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Couldn't resist posting this
    Annoying PS3T.com members since March 2010

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Pixel amount is basically 720p

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    -vid-
    when compared to 720p, 960x1080 is off by 115,000 pixels which isn't a whole lot when it comes to resolution.

1080p Resolution - 2,073,600 pixels

the resolution the game is rendering per frame (960x1080) - 1,036,800 pixels

720p Resolution - 921,600 pixels

Killzone devs robbin ya of 1 mil pixels if you believe the advertised 1080p native multiplayer and is essentially false advertising and Court case-tier shit.

illegal in 9 countries

720p Resolution - 921,600 pixels
    render the final 1920 x 1080 frame
    1920 x 1080
    The final render is 1920 x 1080, with half the horizontal data rendered via the previous frame for 1/60th of a second. That's still 1080p by pixel count.

To put it another way, the algorithm is using 1920 x 1080 worth of data to generate a 1920 x 1080 image with the catch being that half of the data is one frame out of date.
    The full 2,073,600 pixels ARE rendered onscreen, it's just done via a horizontal interlace in a frame buffer for a poofteenth of a second. That's nowhere near the same thing as 720p: 2 million pixels =/= 1 million pixels. Ergo, trololololol.

The SP game runs at 30FPS min @1080p and FPS doesn't really matter in that context. The MP game runs at 60FPS (50FPS avg) @1080p where FPS does matter. If you sat down and counted the number of rendered pixels onscreen at any given moment, you'd see 2,073,600, which is 1080p. Who gives a fuck how they do it? Aren't you the same clown constantly telling us that 'graphics don't matter' and '60FPS is more important than resolution'?
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 03-03-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Also, the SP and MP run at different resolutions.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The SP game runs at 30FPS min @1080p and FPS doesn't really matter in that context. The MP game runs at 60FPS (50FPS avg) @1080p where FPS does matter. If you sat down and counted the number of rendered pixels onscreen at any given moment, you'd see 2,073,600, which is 1080p. Who gives a fuck how they do it? Aren't you the same clown constantly telling us that 'graphics don't matter' and '60FPS is more important than resolution'?
    The devs explicitly advertised it was in native 1080p (which it isn't) and wouldn't do a silly trick to keep it up there (when they clearly did).

when it's advertised "This game is run at native 1080p" then you better fucking put all the pixels on every frame, not this half/half bullshit.

thats why im angry. Nothing is worse than lying to the customer.

Bringing the PAIN

The devs explicitly advertised it was in native 1080p (which it isn't) and wouldn't do a silly trick to keep it up there (when they clearly did).

when it's advertised "This game is run at native 1080p" then you better fucking put all the pixels on every frame, not this half/half bullshit.

thats why im angry. Nothing is worse than lying to the customer.
    Can everyone else who is actually "angry" about this please raise their hand? I am unsure if anyone really gives a fuck.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    Can everyone else who is actually "angry" about this please raise their hand? I am unsure if anyone really gives a fuck.
    I can see where Ps360 is coming from, but I wouldn't be angry over a game's resolution, even if it's false advertisement. I'm still an old-school gamer at heart, so graphics are the least of my concern.

Renegade Time Lord

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    I know I don't care. I read all that and thought "So what?" Maybe it is because I am an old school gamer too.
    Hello, I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm The Doctor and I will be your victim this evening, are you my mummy?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Nah, I'm not angry. I'm just gonna sit back and laugh, cause that means the Shadowfall MP would have run at about 640x720 on the XBO. That's knowledge enough to let me continue sleeping at night...

/sarcasm

worlds biggest welch fan

I can't stop playing Kz, almost got all of the abilities maxed out.

wait wait wait you own a Ps4 Ps360, I didn't know you were a customer
    Last edited by nevetsteven2; 03-10-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Oh, how terrible................ was what i said reading comments sections on various gaming sites regarding this 'news' as a whole bunch of people who couldn't be bothered to read properly starting whapping their keyboards with their grimy, grublike fingers to proclaim how brilliant their chosen console was cos pixels and polygons are king.

While the stupid war rages on between eleven year olds who don't really care about actual gaming, out to prove whose deadbeat parents are the least awful by console/PC buying proxy, i think i'll be happy to just play games because they are fun and i enjoy them more than most things in life.

Renegade Time Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Oh, how terrible................ was what i said reading comments sections on various gaming sites regarding this 'news' as a whole bunch of people who couldn't be bothered to read properly starting whapping their keyboards with their grimy, grublike fingers to proclaim how brilliant their chosen console was cos pixels and polygons are king.

While the stupid war rages on between eleven year olds who don't really care about actual gaming, out to prove whose deadbeat parents are the least awful by console/PC buying proxy, i think i'll be happy to just play games because they are fun and i enjoy them more than most things in life.
    Well said.
    Hello, I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm The Doctor and I will be your victim this evening, are you my mummy?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

Lvl 4 - Silver

slow nintendo news today

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I already got the plat ages ago awesome game looked awesome non the less it didn't bother me

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post

Same. Well said.

illegal in 9 countries

Count the pixels onscreen - it's 1920 x 1080, or 2+million in total, which is native 1080p. How they render that full 1920 x 1080 is a little bit tricky, but anyone would be hard pressed to remotely notice that half of those pixels are rendered every two frames, alternating with the other half. A full refresh of every pixel onscreen is performed every 1/30 second, or more accurately, half are refreshed every 1/60th of a second.

There's nothing in the "Do not lie!" manual that says a game rendering 1920 x 1080p @ 60FPS has to refresh every single pixel every single frame. It's still native 1080p and the game still runs at 60FPS - you can't dispute that fact. You're just being overly anal-retentive about how you expect (yet don't fully understand) how they reach that resolution and FPS.