Ubisoft Are Absolutely Frightened Due To Backlash Against Watch Dogs

This is a discussion on Ubisoft Are Absolutely Frightened Due To Backlash Against Watch Dogs within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Yesterday, Ubisoft announced the release date of the much anticipated open world hacking game Watch Dogs. Finally, after a long ...

Drunken Nights

Ubisoft Are Absolutely Frightened Due To Backlash Against Watch Dogs

Yesterday, Ubisoft announced the release date of the much anticipated open world hacking game Watch Dogs. Finally, after a long delay the game will be released across current and next-gen consoles on May 27th. But something was missing.

According to several users, the game didn’t look as sharp as when it was first shown at E3 2012. This resulted in backlash from the community and to make matters worse, the PS4 and Xbox One are rumored to have different resolutions, with the former reportedly running at 1080p compared to the latter which runs at 960p.

Industry insider Ahsan Rasheed, who goes by the name “thuway” on NeoGAF, says that everything is far from rosy at Ubisoft. “Heard folks internally at Ubisoft are absolutely frightened because backlash against Watch Dogs was much stronger than anyone anticipated.”

Rasheed also didn’t believe that console gamers were setting their expectations too high. “Have you seen the Order? Ryse? Shadow Fall? Looks next gen to me. Oh and did I forget, Second Son?”

He continued by tweeting that, “My expectations are in line, the game was built around a foundation that just isn’t what I personally expect from a next gen game.”

PS4 Gameplay:

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Personally, i've always felt something is a little off about Watch Dogs, the delays are one thing, the other is the stream of overblown nonsense they profess to being able to achieve, i just don't buy it.
    Granted it could ( should ) be a good game but i'd hazard a guess that it will not be without some irritating, avoidable flaws despite the extra time put in.

INTJ

for those who want examples of the downgrade, i made a post about it over here:

Watch Dogs Release Date Confirmed

Lvl 5 - Silver

Honestly, I'm not as interested in this game as I once was. Hope it turns out ok.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Don't care if the gfx aren't as good as they looked earlier. All about the gameplay and that still seems great to me. Defo be getting it.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alexh7686 View Post
    Don't care if the gfx aren't as good as they looked earlier. All about the gameplay and that still seems great to me. Defo be getting it.
    yea gameplay matters more but when you show something then later you say this shittier looking one is the same i have doubts.

Remember alien colonial marines.

Lvl 9 - Gold

will wait for a couple of reviews but im sure this will be fine..... should be a good play

Banned

Luckily I never really got too excited about this game, and I'm glad I didn't to be honest. First the delay, then all this about the possibly downgraded graphics. However, game still looks awesome, and, backlash or not, people are still going to buy it.

PRO Member

is this where you go to fill up your snark sponge with snark before bringing it back to ps3trophies.com and squeezing it out all over the boards?

PRO Member

Really don't care about this game at all, unless it becomes free for Plus at some point I probably won't play it

Renegade Time Lord

I am not worried.

When I heard about the delay I was not like most people who threw a hissy fit, I was glad. Reason being is the more time they have the less bugs and little niggles will be in the game when it is released. Then it got delayed again and I was fine with that because they obviously needed more time. The graphics to me looked too shiny so I am glad it has been "toned down a bit", gives it a bit of a darker and grittier feel now. I honestly do not see why everyone is complaining about the graphics or the delays. Graphics do not make the game though they can help. The gameplay, the story and the characters all make the game.

I am looking forward to this and will be picking up my De-Sec Edition on day one.

Edit: And let me put it this way, would you rather have the game now but be a unplayable, bug ridden mess that no one will play even if it gets fixed or wait just that little bit longer by learning something called patience and have a game that has none or next to no bugs and be a joy to play? I would rather wait.
    Last edited by LordZargus; 03-13-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Hello, I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm The Doctor and I will be your victim this evening, are you my mummy?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm with Zargus on this one. Let's wait til the game is actually released before we write it off or trash it. I'm excited for the game and it's a day one for me for sure. This is not a true next-gen game, being that it's developed for multiple console generations so the expectations for it should be appropriate to that and as several others have pointed out, the graphics are not the most important thing. I see it coming out a bit like Sleeping Dogs graphics wise, which is just fine with me.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I shall be getting this game, just maybe not on release day, will hang on for the price to drop, or maybe PS+

Next Platinum Target
    Mafia 2 I Jax 3

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by scarsrstars View Post
    I shall be getting this game, just maybe not on release day, will hang on for the price to drop, or maybe PS+
    Same thing. I wouldn't be surprised it ends up getting patched a few times to fix some minor issues, so it's better to wait (plus I don't spend as much money on something I might not like in the end, too).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Check Those Corners

Getting it on 360 on release, to me it looks like an updated Rockstar Engine (used in GTA V) it still looks great in my opinion.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by CMN View Post
    Getting it on 360 on release, to me it looks like an updated Rockstar Engine (used in GTA V) it still looks great in my opinion.
    I agree it looks great, but it will have a lot to live up to after GTA V (Personally I think that is the reason behind the delay as it was not too long after GTA V was released)

Next Platinum Target
    Mafia 2 I Jax 3