Sony raises the price of the PS4 by 50$ in canada, Games and accessories up 5$

This is a discussion on Sony raises the price of the PS4 by 50$ in canada, Games and accessories up 5$ within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS4 price going up $50 in Canada, accessories and games up $5 | Joystiq It's not uncommon for gamers to ...

INTJ

Sony raises the price of the PS4 by 50$ in canada, Games and accessories up 5$

PS4 price going up $50 in Canada, accessories and games up $5 | Joystiq

It's not uncommon for gamers to hold off on purchasing new consoles, games and accessories until a price drop; what's is uncommon is waiting, and being rewarded with a price increase. The Toronto Sun reports that starting today, the PlayStation 4 will cost $50 more in Canada, up from its previous price of $399.99.

Unfortunately, the bad news doesn't end there. The PlayStation Camera and DualShock 4 are also rising in price, from $59.99 to $64.99. Two games exclusive to Sony's system - Infamous: Second Son and MLB 14: The Show - are also getting bumped, from $64.99 to $69.99.

Sony said the price changes are being made to "respond to changes in the market environment." The Canadian Dollar is currently weak against the US Dollar, but Sony did not specifically cite this as an influencing factor. Meanwhile, Microsoft told the Sun that there were no current plans for a price hike in the land of hockey and maple leaves.

illegal in 9 countries

The Canadian dollar is on relative parity with the Aussie dollar at around 90c US, yet we pay a shitload more for the console, accessories and games Down Under.

The PS4 is $549 AUD ($550.50 CAD), PS Camera is $90 AUD, DS4 is $100 AUD and games at launch are $100 AUD, so by comparison Canada is still a cheap place to buy Sony stuff.

If anything, this is probably to discourage Americans from driving across the border or ordering from Canadian online stores to save 10% on PS4 gear. The US dollar will continue to rise, so it makes sense to respond to a changing economic landscape in what was to date probably the cheapest Sony market in the world.

PRO Member

HEY! GOOD NEWS FOR MICROSOFT!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 3 - Bronze

So technically the Canandian PS4 price is "equivalent" to the U.S. PS4 price, based on the strength of the American dollar...That's not too bad.

Looks like you need my help--Again...
    Games Beaten: 434 (As of March 7, 2014)

Retired...

Blame the economy. Sucks though.

Signature made by dsluckay & PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 3 - Bronze

good thing I got mine when it was still 399.99 but that sucks for the games
    Daniel Kelly

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If anything, this is probably to discourage Americans from driving across the border or ordering from Canadian online stores to save 10% on PS4 gear.
    That's actually a really good idea. I can definitely see that as something people up North would do.

Change is mediocre

Fuck me.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by BloodBrothers View Post
    good thing I got mine when it was still 399.99 but that sucks for the games

It's not just PS4 but also XBOX ONE games have went from $60 to $65 for the newer titles like Thief.

Lvl 4 - Silver

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i haven't been able to get a ps4 yet

Signature Created by Bladia

Banned

Oh, man! Lucky for me, I'm an American and bought PS4 last November when it launched. Sorry, Canadians, that sux for this bull**** and I know the Canadian products are more cost than the U.S.A. and United Kingdom products. Blame to that fking economy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The Canadian dollar is on relative parity with the Aussie dollar at around 90c US, yet we pay a shitload more for the console, accessories and games Down Under.

The PS4 is $549 AUD ($550.50 CAD), PS Camera is $90 AUD, DS4 is $100 AUD and games at launch are $100 AUD, so by comparison Canada is still a cheap place to buy Sony stuff.

If anything, this is probably to discourage Americans from driving across the border or ordering from Canadian online stores to save 10% on PS4 gear. The US dollar will continue to rise, so it makes sense to respond to a changing economic landscape in what was to date probably the cheapest Sony market in the world.
    It does make sense. Still, sucks for you Canadians.

Lvl 7 - Gold

It doesn't make sense to me...I paid €399 for the PS4, that's EURO's...
    If things would be according to your theories, we must be getting a price-drop...