Leaked Images Reveal One Of This Fall's Two Assassin's Creed Games

This is a discussion on Leaked Images Reveal One Of This Fall's Two Assassin's Creed Games within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; One of this fall's big Assassin's Creed games, called or code-named Unity , is set at least partly in 18th-century ...

Drunken Nights

Leaked Images Reveal One Of This Fall's Two Assassin's Creed Games

One of this fall's big Assassin's Creed games, called or code-named Unity, is set at least partly in 18th-century Paris, according to early leaked screenshots obtained by Kotaku.

These screenshots, sent to me by a source who requested anonymity, show Unity's new assassin roaming around what appears to be Paris. You can see Notre Dame, the Seine River, and other Parisian landmarks, and the shots are very clearly from an early version of the game.

What's more, this is just one of two major Assassin's Creed games that will be out later this year, according to a number of sources. Unity will be for the current-gen consoles—Xbox One and PS4—while a second game, possibly called or code-named Comet, will be released on Xbox 360 and PS3. Presumably one or both versions will also be on PC. Sorry, Nintendo fans: I haven't yet heard anything about Wii U.

This information comes both from web chatter and our own conversations with developer sources. For months now we've heard rumors and rumblings about what could be the next installment in Ubisoft's popular assassin-parkour series, which has been released on an annual schedule for five years now. There's been a new major Assassin's Creed every fall since 2009.

Interesting as all this is, the prospect of two major AC games this fall is particularly noteworthy. Some might be excited that Ubisoft is liberating their teams from the shackles of cross-gen development for Unity, which won't have to make any compromises to fit into last-gen hardware. But some critics have already accused Ubisoft of milking the Assassin's Creed franchise—in the past five months alone we've seen Black Flag, the mobile game Pirates, the HD remakes of Liberation, and an Assassin's Creed board game called Arena. Two new games this fall could add to Assassin's Creed's reputationas an overused series.

A few weeks ago, rumors about Unity popped up on the gaming forum NeoGAF, and were later corroborated by Examiner's Nicholas Gigante, who has been correct about Ubisoft-related rumors in the past. The gist: Unity is one of two Assassin's Creed games this fall; Unity is set during the French Revolution; Unity stars an assassin named Arno. This all matches up with rumblings we've heard in conversations with our own developer sources. It also meshes with the screenshots we've obtained (all posted below).

Last month, Assassin's Creed producer Jade Raymond told AdWeek that the next game in the franchise would be set during her "favorite historical era." A fake internal e-mail in last year's Assassin's Creed IV hinted at a number of potential historical settings for future games in the series, one of which was the French Revolution. Last year at E3, Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot told Kotaku boss Stephen Totilo that they had three Assassin's Creeds in development.

When reached by Kotaku this morning, Ubisoft declined to comment on this story.

You can see all of the leaked screenshots below. It's worth noting: these are early screenshots of an unfinished game. The final product will likely look different, and we hear the textures will look much better when Unity is out later this year. (Also, some of these city plazas will probably look less empty.)

One notable new feature: there are now buttons to "parkour" up and down. I hear this is part of a new Assassin's Creed navigation mechanic that will debut when Unity releases this fall.

Lvl 4 - Silver

interesting time period, but sadly i wanted a game in feudal Japan. oh well there is always next year.

Forget I Was Ever Here

2 AC games in 1 year?!?! Nothing much to really see here so I'm hoping they start leaking more details about the games

It is time for me to go underground

Lvl 9 - Gold

Wow I cant wait to play them but also to be able to see some video of the games in action.

INTJ

that body type for the assassin is thinner than usual, look at altiar, ezio, and connors body type for example.

im guessing it's a female assassin or something

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

18th century? Is that not the time Napoleon was knocking about?

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Creditdue View Post
    18th century? Is that not the time Napoleon was knocking about?
    Late 18th Century and early 19th Century. I guess they could finally release a French Revolution Ass Creed game.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    2 AC games in 1 year?!?! Nothing much to really see here so I'm hoping they start leaking more details about the games
    They already did this with AC3: Liberation. Same plan, only they've dumped the Vita.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Wish comet was for ps4 also cuz now I gave to switch between my ps3 for comet and ps4 for unity
    Daniel Kelly

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

i thought they announced that after ac4 they would take there time with another ac game
    so it wouldnt meet the failure of 3 again. as much as i love ac they need to improve on there stories
    give us an asian timeline or even egypt
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    i thought they announced that after ac4 they would take there time with another ac game
    so it wouldnt meet the failure of 3 again. as much as i love ac they need to improve on there stories
    After they released an AC game about 4-5 years in a row, you actually believed that they would stop and take their time?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I really like the idea of having one game for PS3 and another different game for PS4. I have yet to play Black Flag, but I'm waiting to get a PS4.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    they need to improve the climbing and fighting mechanics, nevermind the story.

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Lvl 9 - Gold

I still need to get round to playing Black Flag. Was waiting for a PS4 but still don't know when that will be yet. I still love the AC series and not can't get enough yet but yearly releases makes it hard to keep up.

Paris is interesting and seems like it could go back to the older AC2 style of gameplay with the setting. But with the successful Naval combat they shouldn't leave that out.

Them screenshots do remind me of AC1-revelations

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    that body type for the assassin is thinner than usual, look at altiar, ezio, and connors body type for example.

im guessing it's a female assassin or something
    That's what I thought when I first saw the character.

PRO Member

Hell yes! It is about damn time we got a video game about the French Revolution. That is my personal favorite moment in history. I hope that we get to meet up with the likes of Robespierre where we can help him start the revolution and watch his slow fall into insanity

What I want more than anything though is for the queen to come out and say "Let them eat cake!"....... Automatic GOTY after that quote

Unfortunately the PS3/360 will most likely be a stripped down piece of garbage. At least next gen will be getting the priority. PLus a female assassin

Sig by Bladia