Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bottleneck: Naughty Dog says Blu-ray disc capacity is limiting their games

This is a discussion on Bottleneck: Naughty Dog says Blu-ray disc capacity is limiting their games within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s Psst...compression. If it's going to be installed on the HDD, it can be compressed on download, ...

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Psst...compression. If it's going to be installed on the HDD, it can be compressed on download, then uncompressed on installation.

I don't have a fast connection (about 3Mbps), but I've happily downloaded games in excess of 25GB on the PS3. 50GB isn't a big step up, and if available, I'll be getting TLoU via DD for PS4.

Also, this is potentially the last home console generation. The next-gen may very well be streaming only (PS Now is the beta program) to a dumb terminal (Vita TV is the prototype for that), so HDD space and internet quotas may not be a problem by the time disc capacity is. Bandwidth (internet speed) will be the bottleneck instead.
    How much compression are we talking about here? Outlast took me about 6 hours and it was only 4 gbs. I won't be downloading anything much larger than that because a) it'll take forever and I share the internet with 5 other people, and b) I only get 125gbs a month.

Very hard to justify anything over 10 gbs tbh.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    How much compression are we talking about here? Outlast took me about 6 hours and it was only 4 gbs. I won't be downloading anything much larger than that because a) it'll take forever and I share the internet with 5 other people, and b) I only get 125gbs a month.

Very hard to justify anything over 10 gbs tbh.
    sony/nintendo/xbox limits bandwith for downloading

thats why it takes so long to download anything on their service.

steam on the other hand is un-restricted. it shotguns 6mb/s for me.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    sony/nintendo/xbox limits bandwith for downloading

thats why it takes so long to download anything on their service.

steam on the other hand is un-restricted. it shotguns 6mb/s for me.
    My speed is probably lower than Sony's limit. I don't notice any slow down.

Lvl 9 - Gold

you know, id actually prefer a 2-disc release for certain titles, because that means developers can work with 100GB worth of space and really utilize every single technological advancement made in this new generation and really make games look absolutely breath-taking. however from a business perspective, it would cost more to use double-disc cases and also using and burning that 2nd blu-ray disc for every single game shipped out. it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but the only thing id be worried about is the possibility of a small increase in price for each individual game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12