Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bottleneck: Naughty Dog says Blu-ray disc capacity is limiting their games

This is a discussion on Bottleneck: Naughty Dog says Blu-ray disc capacity is limiting their games within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The Last of Us dev says Blu-ray capacity is a - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC ...

INTJ

Bottleneck: Naughty Dog says Blu-ray disc capacity is limiting their games

The Last of Us dev says Blu-ray capacity is a - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

During the tail end of the last generation, it became clear that DVD was no longer go to cut it as a format for games. Many popular Xbox 360 games shipped on multiple discs, including Grand Theft Auto 5 and Call of Duty: Ghosts. Although Blu-ray offers five times more storage space, will that be sufficient for the new generation of consoles? Perhaps not.

The upcoming PS4 port of The Last of Us must take into consideration the 50GB limit of Blu-ray, Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann claims. "Our cinematics are now running at 1080p and 60fps, and that involved rendering them all from scratch," he told Edge (via CVG). "It's interesting that now [instead of a technical bottleneck], the bottleneck is 'Can we fit all this on the disc?'"

The PS3 version clocks in at 27GB. However, the move to higher-resolution textures, character models, and cinematics, inflate the PS4 version's file size.

Of course, being a port of a PS3 game, the game is nowhere as optimized as a native game. Rendering the cutscenes in real-time, for example, would offer a tremendous file size savings. Still, should this generation of consoles last as long as the previous one, perhaps it won't be too surprising if we see two-disc Blu-ray releases by the time it's all done.

1080p 60 fps is apparently the way naughty dog is doing it according to the cutscene info.

they could solve this by offering the stuff as a free DLC/Patch. Steam Does this for games like Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs.

illegal in 9 countries

By the time we hit the "2 disc" stage, we'll either accept it as a mark of quality, or many of us will go with the digital version instead.

360 users have dealt with multi-disc releases for years (some games are 4 or 5 DVDs in size), so I doubt disc capacity is going to be a major problem.

worlds biggest welch fan

digital or double D's for max settings with either system.

better then 4 or 5
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Deathless Destroyer

Use two discs. The first disc can be used to install general files onto the HDD and the second can be used to run the game off.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

PRO Member

Or we could use that nice Cassette Sony made that holds up a TON of memory.

Joking aside I'm pretty sure multiple discs shouldn't be a major problem. We've seen it before.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    By the time we hit the "2 disc" stage, we'll either accept it as a mark of quality, or many of us will go with the digital version instead.
    lol I don't think so. What's the capacity of a bluray disc, 50gbs? No way people are going to be able to download that regularly - if at all.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Having to swap discs wouldn't be a big deal. Remember Final Fantasy on PS1.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Use two discs. The first disc can be used to install general files onto the HDD and the second can be used to run the game off.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    lol I don't think so. What's the capacity of a bluray disc, 50gbs? No way people are going to be able to download that regularly - if at all.
    And this. It would literally take me weeks to download 50GBs.

Lvl 9 - Gold

downloading 50 gigs wouldn't be too bad for me. That would be about 12 hrs but I will stick with the disc version. If games start coming out multi-disc for one game that wouldn't bother me but there are a lot of people who will cry that they had to get up and swap discs. It would be the most exercise they would probably have that day.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by MadMardigan_88 View Post
    downloading 50 gigs wouldn't be too bad for me. That would be about 12 hrs but I will stick with the disc version. If games start coming out multi-disc for one game that wouldn't bother me but there are a lot of people who will cry that they had to get up and swap discs. It would be the most exercise they would probably have that day.
    12 HOURS??

It takes me 6 hours to download 2GBs.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    12 HOURS??

It takes me 6 hours to download 2GBs.
    LOL sucked in

Hero of Kvatch

I couldn't give a rat's arse if a game comes on 2 or more discs, as it's been said before, we've seen it before with Final Fantasy

"War, war never changes."

Lvl 7 - Gold

wouldn't be a big problem if games come in 2 disks. I used to play stuff like that on ps1

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg_malta View Post
    wouldn't be a big problem if games come in 2 disks. I used to play stuff like that on ps1
    I thought I was hearing that there was going to be a shift soon that games would be played entirely off the console, and not the discs at all. So you'd install the whole thing onto your ps4 and run it off that (with the disc as an authenticator). If that's the case there ought to be no consumer complaints since you won't ever have to swap discs. Never been a great big deal exactly, but people seemed to prefer not to have to swap them out

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by MadMardigan_88 View Post
    It would be about 2-3 hours for me.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Don't have a PS4 yet but I don't see multiple discs as a problem. I have Resident Evil 2, Gran Turismo 2, Parasite Eve 2 and Alone in the Dark all for PS1 and each of them has two discs. Can't remember that anyone complained about it back then. Downloading is no big deal for me as long as it's working in background while I play something else (works usually great on PS3). What would bother me is the impact on the internal HDD. PS4 comes with 500GB and according to this only roughly 400GB are left for games. That's just eight 50GB sized games and the disc is full. I already tidy up my PS3 HDD regularly but I currently have about eight games installed which I'm all still working on so with such a big amount of game data 500GB are suddenly not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by seether98 View Post
    It would be about 2-3 hours for me.
    You're pretty cool guy ;-)

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    Psst...compression. If it's going to be installed on the HDD, it can be compressed on download, then uncompressed on installation.

I don't have a fast connection (about 3Mbps), but I've happily downloaded games in excess of 25GB on the PS3. 50GB isn't a big step up, and if available, I'll be getting TLoU via DD for PS4.

Also, this is potentially the last home console generation. The next-gen may very well be streaming only (PS Now is the beta program) to a dumb terminal (Vita TV is the prototype for that), so HDD space and internet quotas may not be a problem by the time disc capacity is. Bandwidth (internet speed) will be the bottleneck instead.

Lvl 8 - Gold

i can accept multiple discs. and just imagine if mgs4 was ported to the 360...
    Uplay: JasonVoorhees98
    Steam: JasonVoorhees987 - Origin: JasonVoorhees987
    XBL: CMaggotbone - Social Club: GrimReaper4383

Check Those Corners

Quote Originally Posted by harryisonfire View Post
    This.

And this. It would literally take me weeks to download 50GBs.
    Agreed, personally I don't understand why they can't do it like Xbox 360 did, where if it was too much there was an install disc and play disc.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I would be fine with multiple disk games. If they started with installation disks and play disks, then they would have to increase the consoles with the lower storgae such as the 120gb consoles.

Next Platinum Target
    Mafia 2 I Jax 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast