Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

PS4 and XB1 are destroying power bills - Costing Consumers $1 Billion annually

This is a discussion on PS4 and XB1 are destroying power bills - Costing Consumers $1 Billion annually within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Parker If you have a powerful PC I suppose that would be the case, but for those ...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    If you have a powerful PC I suppose that would be the case, but for those of us who don't have a PC that can run games that came out after 2006 third party titles are system sellers too.
    you can build a computer for the same price as a PS4 and still play whatever comes out for the next few years

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    trophies duh
    Steam, Uplay, Origin all have a Achievement system.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    you can build a computer for the same price as a PS4 and still play whatever comes out for the next few years
    No, this isn't possible. And enjoy your sub-par settings by the way, defeating the whole point of PC gaming in the first place.

Steam, Uplay, Origin all have a Achievement system.
    Ew.

PRO Member

I can appreciate the report, as it brings light to something important in the grand scheme of things: The fact that devices are consuming more power, not because they are more powerful, but because they are on ALL THE TIME! Its quite funny when you think about it, devices are going to 28nm or 32nm transistors, which is cutting their consumer power for a single operation by more than half. Yet power consumption for the average first-world person is increasing simply because more devices do not actually turn off.

Anyway, this is not worth a flame-war. Smart surge-protectors fix everything.

http://www.amazon.com/ZuniDigital-ZG.../dp/B003YH9DWC

With this all your devices consume 0W in standby, all you need to do is remember to turn off your TV or PC (whichever is the Master device). It can even accommodate devices that go to standby mode, they just need a standby power consumption of less than 15W.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Anyway, this is not worth a flame-war. Smart surge-protectors fix everything.

Amazon.com: ZuniDigital ZG7000B-15 7 Outlet Digital Smart Green Surge Protector (Black): Electronics

With this all your devices consume 0W in standby, all you need to do is remember to turn off your TV or PC (whichever is the Master device). It can even accommodate devices that go to standby mode, they just need a standby power consumption of less than 15W.
    I've been using similar "trickle saver" powerboards for years. Just beware that it if you don't get a "smart" board that supports standby mode, it can backfire and wipe out your console.

For example, whenever my TV turned off, it also powered off my Fat PS3 a minute or two later to save power. Even though the PS3 was on standby mode (as in shutdown but not completely turned off), it triggered the "corrupted HDD on incorrect shutdown" and pooched my data. The PS4 also cracks the sads if you power it off completely from standby rather than shutting it down from the XMB.

I use a green board to power down my 360, Wii U, handheld devices and controller recharges, but I have my PS3, PS4 and XB1 on a separate board so they can remain in standby to avoid potential data loss.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I've been using similar "trickle saver" powerboards for years. Just beware that it if you don't get a "smart" board that supports standby mode, it can backfire and wipe out your console.
    Yes, this is true, or you would need another smart device in the loop.

I just know personally I have been shifting to a more "connected/automated" home and these types of power supplies have saved me serious cash (paid for itself in one year). Couple that with me moving several of my home media servers to high-end embedded devices (such as the Wandboard), and I have actually reduced my electricity consumption despite buying several new devices last year.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Kiwi Defender

Why not just unplug the devices after turning them off/leaving them on standby mode? Seems like the easier and cheapest thing to do.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Why not just unplug the devices after turning them off/leaving them on standby mode? Seems like the easier and cheapest thing to do.
    Convenience. Green powerboards do the same thing without having to contort yourself under a PC desk or behind a TV cabinet to unplug the boards. It also does it every time, whereas humans are prone to memory lapses or I-cant-be-fucked-itis. All you do is switch off the master TV or PC device (I have boards connected to both) and it shuts down the slave ports on the powerboard for all connected devices.

In addition to cutting power costs marginally (a dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and air-conditioning are the power bill killers), doing it this way also means I'm not constantly charging the batteries in my handhelds and controllers, so they *should* have a longer shelf-life.

I'll have to look into boards that support standby mode. Thanks for the heads-up Gauss.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Not doing anything to my electric bill! My bill is the same every month and its just fine to me.

PRO Member

Interesting about the multi ports that will save some cash. I will have to look into those, although I'm seemingly unaffected with only using a PS3 and LED TV.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 9 - Gold

Back in 2011 when I lived in a single bedroom apartment, my average monthly electric bill when not using heat was around $50. Now that I'm on my own again (had housemates for a while), in a two-bedroom apartment this time, with a PS4 that's always either on or on standby, my electric bill when not using heat is still right around $50. Not really feeling the pain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234