Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Watch Dogs will punish you if you aren't online

This is a discussion on Watch Dogs will punish you if you aren't online within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by AngelStar How would you know that Watch Dogs doesn't look good? You can't tell by saying that. ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AngelStar View Post
    How would you know that Watch Dogs doesn't look good? You can't tell by saying that.
    I've seen the gameplay and watched a guy who go the game early play it for hours on a stream. Gameplay looked generic, laughable "tech knowledge", and the presentation looked terrible.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

....How did this thread rapidly degenerate into a tit-for-tat argumentative segment? All of a sudden it turned into the O'Reilly factor lol

Lvl 8 - Gold

This game sucks lol.

INTJ

the game is actually pretty cool.

i wasted 10-20 hours just doing side missions

Legalize it...

The game is ok so far from what Ive played. Ive only played enough story missions to unlock the online stuff and have been doing that on and off. The online is pretty fun though, imo...

PRO Member

They apparently messed up reflections...

http://i.imgur.com/T3leCeT.jpg
    (too big for forums and I'm too damn lazy/busy to change it)

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

You want to know how you fight against this?

Don't buy the game... Return your un-opened pre-orders... etc, etc.

Look, at the end of the day, this appears to be a mountain out of a molehill. This is no different than the DS/DkS series, if you go offline you can't get the benefits from invading other players.

Does it suck that if you have made some progress, gotten some notoriety, and then have to go offline for some reason (i.e. internet connection interruption/outage), that you potentially lose the fruits of a lot of labor? Yes.

But, again, the way you stop this crap is by NOT BUYING IT. Don't like persistently online games? Don't buy them. Don't have a problem with persistent online, but irritated with a game that has what you perceive as an unnecessary penalty? Don't buy it.

Speak with your wallets, because after all that is what these developers will react to! Nobody, since the dawn of video games, has ever released a game that they didn't also want to make money off of in some way (and yes, I am including open source games in that breath because those are resume boosters, tool sellers, etc).

I would be more shocked if this wasn't Ubisoft, but this has been Ubisoft's MO for atleast 2 years now (referring to persistent online). Why are you shocked? This is why my purchases of Ubisoft games have been cut down significantly... This is why I stopped buying/playing AC games. This is why I likely won't buy The Division or the new R6 games. This is why I don't buy Splinter Cell games anymore. Heck the only Ubisoft game I bought in the last generation was FarCry 3, and that was only because I feel compelled to buy story driven shooters because they aren't CoD (caught between a rock and a hard place).
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    mass effect 2 and watch dogs
    I don't want to get into a debate on the efficacy or ethics of pirating (its not my place, my opinion is in my signature. Its neither positive or negative), but didn't you torrent Deus Ex Human Revolution as well? I seem to remember you pointing out how you decided to buy that game after playing the leaked torrent...

Again, I am not saying its bad or good. The flow is pretty simple, and torrenting has its place. I just have a pretty clear recollection of you and I having a discussion about how Deus Ex benefitted from your torrenting.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I don't want to get into a debate on the efficacy or ethics of pirating (its not my place, my opinion is in my signature. Its neither positive or negative), but didn't you torrent Deus Ex Human Revolution as well?
    Leaked press demo that only included Act 1 =/= full game

not to mention that leaked press demo is the main reason so many people got around to buying it. It also did the impossible of changing 4chans general opinion of the game from "What a yellow tinted piece of shit" to "Oh my god Amazing full hype mode" overnight.

illegal in 9 countries

not to mention that leaked press demo is the main reason so many people got around to buying it. It also did the impossible of changing 4chans general opinion of the game from "What a yellow tinted piece of shit" to "Oh my god Amazing full hype mode" overnight.
    You overstate the importance of niche online communities. The vast majority (99.9999999%) would have heard about and formed their opinion of DEHR through traditional media and gaming sites. The rest of the world doesn't give two shits about 4chan.

BTW, DEHR was an over-hyped, underwhelming cardboard box simulator. I wanted so much to like it, but the lack of attention to detail and the constant use of ridiculous props (fucking boxes everywhere!) to flesh out small levels was just too much, completely breaking any sense of immersion. Hopefully they get it right in the next game.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    You overstate the importance of niche online communities. The vast majority (99.9999999%) would have heard about and formed their opinion of DEHR through traditional media and gaming sites. The rest of the world doesn't give two shits about 4chan.
    yea the Third largest internet board is so niche

half the shit you see on the non-asian side of the internet in the form of jokes/drawings/media/etc. comes from that place (another big chunk comes from something awful, but this topic doesn't involve SA.)

This guide is pretty much how internet content works these days:
    http://i.imgur.com/BPiZF.jpg

The Two most popular boards on 4chan is the /b/ section (talk about anything basically) and the /v/ Section (Video games). its pretty much the busiest internet forum i have ever seen. threads get destroyed in minutes from being inactive too long (10 page limit).

i dont know why people believe 4chan is still a "secret club" anymore.

PRO Member

But, again, the way you stop this crap is by NOT BUYING IT. Don't like persistently online games? Don't buy them. Don't have a problem with persistent online, but irritated with a game that has what you perceive as an unnecessary penalty? Don't buy it.
    It's not that simple. Very few people are willing to forgo a purchase because of a minor inconvenience, and because of that you'd be doing yourself a disservice by boycotting the game. Won't make a difference and you will be the one to miss out.

E.g.

This is why I likely won't buy The Division or the new R6 games. This is why I don't buy Splinter Cell games anymore. Heck the only Ubisoft game I bought in the last generation was FarCry 3, and that was only because I feel compelled to buy story driven shooters because they aren't CoD (caught between a rock and a hard place).
    This kind of nonsense. They didn't even notice you lol..

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    It's not that simple. Very few people are willing to forgo a purchase because of a minor inconvenience, and because of that you'd be doing yourself a disservice by boycotting the game. Won't make a difference and you will be the one to miss out.
    If it's worth anything, I was going to buy Bravely Default, but decided I wouldn't when i heard the game was being censored.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by harryisonfire View Post
    Boy oh boy, here we go! I'd just love it if you could show me some genuine evidence by Rockstar about a PC release.
    Quote Originally Posted by harryisonfire View Post
    Right. Keep telling yourself that.

told you.

PC version even has special features the consoles don't have.

get rekt

PRO Member

Not really a need to mention, as I said my opinion of piracy is neither positive nor negative. I find debating these to be an exercise in circular logic. People pro-piracy argue the impact of piracy centered around circumstances where piracy has already happened, and anti-piracy people argue the impact of piracy centered around perceived/assumed circumstances assuming piracy has not happened.

Neither party can ascertain a logical argument that can also be falsified with evidence, meaning neither party can actually be verifiably correct.

Hence why I semi-jokingly center my opinion using the wording of the Observer effect in physics (a natural extension/consequence of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Princple and the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment), which in simple terms states that by conducting an experiment, you inherently influence the outcome in some capacity.

E.g.

This kind of nonsense. They didn't even notice you lol..
    *shrugs* A man without principles will never be a man.

I'd like to point out missing out on these games hasn't exactly been a hindrance to my enjoyment of gaming.

Lastly, in regards to most games, any individual sale (or not sale) has no statistically significantly impact on overall game sales. It requires en masse change.

PRO Member

*shrugs* A man without principles will never be a man.
    Oh boy. Sounds like there's a lot riding on this!

Renegade Time Lord

told you.

PC version even has special features the consoles don't have.

get rekt
    I think what he meant was what proof was there before they announced it officially. I know there was files somewhere indicating PS4 and PC in the game files if I remember correctly.

But the Video Editor is not really that much of a feature in my honest opinion.
    Hello, I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm The Doctor and I will be your victim this evening, are you my mummy?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I don't like it that you are punished for not being online. but if you switch the online off before beginning the game there will be no consequences and you will not have any notoriety.

also by doing so it will not effect the single player as you can get all the stuff as normal ie: xp, upgrades et

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg_malta View Post
    I don't like it that you are punished for not being online. but if you switch the online off before beginning the game there will be no consequences and you will not have any notoriety.

also by doing so it will not effect the single player as you can get all the stuff as normal ie: xp, upgrades et
    Exactly what I did. Turned it off so I could enjoy single player without invasions distracting me. But, I will say that once I was done with single player and started playing with the online it's actually quite fun. Also, I will say that it's not really that big off a deal cause the best notoriety skills are unlocked pretty fast cause they are the first 3. The last 2 mean nothing (extra money and a picture of the person invading you). I had over 2 million dollars early. Only takes about 200k to buy everything in the game. That's my only real complaint with the game is absolutely ZERO customization options to blow money on. Making money completely worthless faster than any other open world sandbox game I've ever played.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

PRO Member

Oh boy. Sounds like there's a lot riding on this!
    Did I miss something? Here is the quick summary of events thus far:

Me: If you don't like this bullshit, or it bothers you, don't buy it. As a matter of principle, don't support things that you don't actually support.

You: That's nonsense, you will just miss out and its not like the lack of a sale matters to anybody.

Me: Individual sales are meaningless either way (negative or positive); and if you have principles, you should stand by them.

How is there a lot riding on this? Its very simple actually: They do not produce any titles I find to be particularly high quality, and I find their company practices to be counter to future innovation, hence I do not support them with my purchases. As long as those two conditions continue to be true, the result will continue to be true.

I don't know if you mistook something I said or interpreted one of my statements as though my individual decision to not purchase a game is going to dissuade Ubisoft from doing something (although a en masse loss of sales would); I did not mean that nor do I feel as though any indication of that was given. I neither called for a boycott nor insulted anyone who chose to purchase Watch Dogs. I know Ubisoft doesn't care about my business; however, it is a two-way street: I don't care for their titles either and (with FC3 being the only exception) they did not receive any money from my purchases in the last few years.

I'm sorry if you somehow think I am "just missing out" on Ubisoft titles like Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, or Watch Dogs, but I assure you I really don't care to play these games. There are a plethora of good titles in the PS3 library, and I can find plenty to occupy my time without needing any of these titles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast