New PS4 (and PS3) revealed by Sony certification request

This is a discussion on New PS4 (and PS3) revealed by Sony certification request within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The PS4 has just been launched a few months ago, but Sony might already be planning to launch a new ...

PRO Member

New PS4 (and PS3) revealed by Sony certification request

The PS4 has just been launched a few months ago, but Sony might already be planning to launch a new model of its new console. The manufacturer filed for the registration of two new “Computer Entertainment Systems” with the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology of the Republic of Indonesia.

The filing, listed on the official website of the Directorate of General Resources and Equipment of Post and Information Technology, bears the model number CUH-1106A. This seems to indicate an evolution of the console, but not a radical redesign like the passage from the PS3 slim to the super slim, for instance, which is normally indicated by an incremental change of the first number of the code (the slim was launched with the model number CECH-2001A, while the super slim started with CECH-4001A).
    Currently the Asian version of the PS4 has the code CUH-1006A. The incremental change of the second digit to CUH-1106A seems to indicate an evolution akin to the passage from the first model of the PS3 slim equipped with a 65nm RSX graphics chip (CECH-2001A) to the second model eqiopped with a 40nm one (CECH-2101A).
    The number also seems to exclude a simple evolution in the size of the hard disk, as that would be indicated by the change of the letter at the end of the code (CUH-1006A would become CUH-1006B).
    In addition to this Sony also filed for the certification of a second system with the code CECH-4306CH, which seems to be a similar evolution of the PS3 super slim model. This comes just days after the PS3 super slim was discovered to be sold out at many major retailers online, indicating an interruption or at least a slow down in shipments and sparking rumors of a possible new SKU to be announced at E3.
    Of course this should be considered a rumor until Sony makes an official announcement, but in this case the numbers normally don’t lie. We’ll have to stand by and see if anything about this will surface at E3 in just a couple weeks, and if the new models will result in any new feature or possible drops in price.
    Source: New PS4 and PS3 Models Revealed by Certification Request Filed by Sony | DualShockers
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lord of all Goat-Men

E3 is gonna be off the chain this year!
    Definitely keen to see what this is.

Game on....

I cannot see Sony releasing a new model of the PS4 so early on? What would there be to gain from doing that?

Fight the Future

If anything I think we'll be seeing a PlayStation 4 with a bigger HDD. There is no way Sony will release a Slim version this early, they'd have to have started working on it before the PS4 even released.

O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I cannot see Sony releasing a new model of the PS4 so early on? What would there be to gain from doing that?
    Slim models are usually cheaper, so with the Kinect-less Xbones, they're probably just trying to keep ahead in the price area.

Either way, might be easier on everyone's pocket.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Newer chips and/or cheaper components...essentially a motherboard update. It'll be some minor hardware revision under the hood to bring production costs down, but noteworthy enough to update the model number.

Alternately, maybe a HDD size increase, though it's not really needed as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ERICVOLTAGE View Post
    Slim models are usually cheaper, so with the Kinect-less Xbones, they're probably just trying to keep ahead in the price area.

Either way, might be easier on everyone's pocket.
    It's too early in the hardware cycle to drop a redesign. They went el-cheapo on the launch version this time around and they're still selling like hotcakes, so there's no real requirement to slash production costs on an over-priced, over-featured model a la PS3 Fat > Slim.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Energy saving upgrade I suspect, much like Intel's Haswell chips over the previous ones
    The PS4 currently chews up around 3 X as much power than the PS3 does, mainly because of the new controllers
    It's still a lot less than the Xbox ONE uses.
    PS4 and Xbox One to cost billions in energy | Lazygamer .:: The Worlds Best Video Game News ::.

Although there was a tweet made between developers a week or so ago saying something along the lines of "If the numbers you are telling me are correct, then this upgrade will just make a mockery of the Xbox ONE".[I looked for where I read it but can't seem to find it ATM]
    So don't be surprised if Sony have found a bottle neck in the PS4, and a way around it.
    It can be surprising what a change of a single component [or electrical value of , like a Transistor or capacitor] can make.

EDIT
    I found the post about the hint of a big performance hike for the PS4
    http://www.gamepur.com/news/14676-ps...ill-grow-.html
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 05-22-2014 at 12:26 AM.