View Poll Results: Do you mind double-dipping?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love to double-dip for the games I loved on the previous generation.

12 44.44%
  • I personally don't care. More games are more games.

7 25.93%
  • I hate double-dipping. Release new games already!

8 29.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rerelease Old Games On New Hardware

This is a discussion on Rerelease Old Games On New Hardware within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'm personally starting to get tired of developers rereleasing old games on the new systems. Just found out about Telltale ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Rerelease Old Games On New Hardware

I'm personally starting to get tired of developers rereleasing old games on the new systems. Just found out about Telltale rereleasing TWD-S1 and TWAU. Personally in my opinion, these developers need to focus on the new games that they're making. Telltale Games is still releasing the last 2 episodes of TWD-S2, they're also working on "Tales From the Borderlands" and I could've sworn there was another project for them as well. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the new graphics on these games. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition looked stunning, and the PS3 version was incredible to begin with. But I'm tired of double-dipping for games I've already played. I want to see new games; it's a new system, so where are all the new games?

Anyway, that's just me. What do you guys think? Do you not care that they're rereleasing old games on the new systems? Are you craving those new games that are still months away?

Lvl 4 - Silver

While I think the time could ultimately be spent working on new titles, I'm usually a sucker for the nostalgia trips of the old PS2 games, and I like the idea of replaying PS3 games on the PS4 if I liked them enough. I may get The Last of Us because of that.

What I'm not a fan of, is the games going for $60. If PS4 games would actually go down in price, I would wait on TLoU remake, but I'm too impatient to wait a year for it to drop to $30. Tomb Raider is still almost $50 on most sites and that remake has been out 4 months already. I think games like the Metro remake are done right, as it's only $50 for TWO last gen games.

As for what I'm assuming are direct ports where they likely won't alter the graphics at all, such as TWD, those are games I won't be buying twice.

PRO Member

I don't care for or have never played most of the games that are re-released. I would definitely give up some cash for my favorite games on PS2 to be released as an HD version on PS4. But, it would have to be the same game. Not some "improved" version. I would love to see the original Ghost Recon and SOCOM games come current gen. THE ORIGINAL GAMES! Every time they have changed the format of these games they have ruined everything that I loved about them! If it needed to be improved, I wouldn't have fell in love with it in the first place! So, double dipping for my favorites games - absolutely if they don't change (ruin) the game. Everything else, hell no!

PRO Member

I'm all for it when it brings old games to new consoles, or handheld games to consoles. I'm 100% not interested when it comes to the likes of Tomb Raider, The Last of Us or The Walking Dead. They came out 5 minutes ago. Stop milking it.

Negator

If you stop buying them, they'll stop making them.

Respond with your wallet, and you can force the hand of any industry.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

I posted this response in the Telltale thread and it's equally valid here.
    ---------------------------
    I don't see the problem.

It's not like publishing older games on the PS4 is preventing the development of new games. And not everyone buying a PS4 already owns a PS3, or a 360 for that matter. And those jumping ship from MS to Sony will want something to play while waiting for the AAA releases.

This is pretty much the same as PS2 HD collections. I skipped the PS2, so the HD collections were a god-send, allowing me to experience the best of the PS2 on the PS3. Same shit, different bucket...it's not all about the veteran PS3 crowd.
    ---------------------------

O_o

Games have the shortest shelf lives of any major entertainment around. Once they're out of print, you're boned outside of resalers; unless they get a GOTY version or a budget title re-issue.

So if a game can reach a bigger audience without any fuss, other than silly complaining, then fine, more games the merrier.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    If you stop buying them, they'll stop making them.

Respond with your wallet, and you can force the hand of any industry.
    So why do they keep on making them then?

Oh wait, 'respond with your wallet' is complete bullshit because no matter what you do they're still going to have a customer base.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Well then, if they have a customer base...

I guess there shouldn't be an issue then.

Just because everyone isn't the customer base doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.

People just get butthurt because it isn't what they want. They should be happy it is giving developers profit to keep them in business in these shitty times. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Very simple.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

i don't mind rereleasing games, especially like ant1th3s1s mentioned with the PS2 HD Classics on PS3, because those are great upgrades in terms of the graphics, plus a lot of them became hard to find, and when you did find them, they were more expensive than a brand new PS3 game.

but Oustandid also brought up a great point, which is the reason behind why I created this post, is because these games literally came out less than 3 years ago. At least with the PS2 HD Classics, they were out for over 5-6 years, some even more, which ties into ERICVOLTAGE's comment.

PRO Member

People like to rip on Tomb Raider / The Last of Us because their cross-gen jump were so close to their initial release. It's a short-sighted and selfish argument in my opinion.

First off, those PS4 versions weren't able to launch in tandem with their PS3 versions because duh...the PS4 wasn't out yet. Since it wasn't out, they focused on the current gen only.

Secondly, dozens of games rerelease in the form of Game of the Year editions in similar fashion every year, so this isn't a new trend at all.

Thirdly, and most importantly, these rereleases aren't intended for people who have played them and have no desire to play them again. They're intended for NEW players who never owned the previous system, or people who want to double-dip. Each console generation, millions of new people become gamers, and have zero interest in investing in old technology (PS3), so I think it's really selfish to complain that a business is offering OPTIONS for those people. The world is larger than just you.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    First off, those PS4 versions weren't able to launch in tandem with their PS3 versions because duh...the PS4 wasn't out yet. Since it wasn't out, they focused on the current gen only.

Secondly, dozens of games rerelease in the form of Game of the Year editions in similar fashion every year, so this isn't a new trend at all.

Thirdly, and most importantly, these rereleases aren't intended for people who have played them and have no desire to play them again. They're intended for NEW players who never owned the previous system, or people who want to double-dip. Each console generation, millions of new people become gamers, and have zero interest in investing in old technology (PS3), so I think it's really selfish to complain that a business is offering OPTIONS for those people. The world is larger than just you.
    1 doesn't matter.

2 is a little different, but what makes you think people were ok with them in the first place? and even if they were, why should they now be ok with all these ps4 versions with extremely minor upgrades?

3... they're intended to milk a series for extra cash. they're very cheap to produce. they have a secondary advantage of scooping up new fans.

It's fine to have 'options', but don't expect me to praise them for releasing a superior version of a game at full price only a few months after release.

People like to rip on Tomb Raider / The Last of Us because their cross-gen jump were so close to their initial release. It's a short-sighted and selfish argument in my opinion.
    It's a fine business decision that ignores its current fanbase and devalues anyone's decision to purchase their games on launch at full price. Probably a net positive for them, but can't say the same for us.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Ps3 games shouldn't be released for the Ps4 imo, let us play them through a Software update. I do often download games from PSN such as Sonic Adventure simply because I no longer own a Dreamcast. Truth is, if I liked the look of a game for the PS4, I would have played it, I don't want to fork out money to add it to my PS4 collection.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I like it, if they didn't rerelease these old games I wouldn't have enjoyed the Ratchet & Clank trilogy as much. giving old games HD resolution and trophies has to be the best idea ever imo. If it comes down to games like Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition I say.. yeah, go ahead.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Personally I think it's a great idea. Especially with the older games such as the FFX/X-2 remake. Loved it first time around and is great to play on the vita. As for more recent games like last of us would be really glad to see big PS3 titles come to pS4. I never had a ps3 so gives me a chance to play all the games I missed out on.

No one is forcing you to buy the games so I don't see any reason to complain. If they weren't re-releasing some games folks would just be complaining that there isn't enough new games to play. Give it time and I'm sure you'll have plenty of choice.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by alexh7686 View Post
    No one is forcing you to buy the games so I don't see any reason to complain.
    So I just bought their game, and now they come out with a better version a handful of months down the track? That's a slap in the face.

I never had a ps3 so gives me a chance to play all the games I missed out on.
    Why don't you just pick up a ps3? Got to be cheaper in the long run, compared with purchasing these hd collections at full price. Might be worth thinking about.

Congratulations on your first platinum trophy btw

Lvl 6 - Silver

with me I like re released games if it has been a while since I have played them. I loved the re release of the DmC games and ratchet and clanks and so on but re releasing a game after it has only been out for a year or two just seems like a lazy developer

Check Those Corners

Not a problem at all. As long as they don't make it so its the same fucking thing as the original.

Either way, more games is more games IMO.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    1 doesn't matter.
    It does though. When a new console is being launched, they have every right to bring over any game they want. Does it suck that they may be devoting time to old titles instead of working on new titles? Sure, yet I don't think people have any right to dictate what anyone else does (unless you have shares, in which case, go to their investor seminars and talk there, not here, as a general consumer).

2 ... but what makes you think people were ok with them in the first place? and even if they were, why should they now be ok with all these ps4 versions with extremely minor upgrades?
    Whether they were okay with them or not isn't the point. There's zero need to complain about options. It's not like Tomb Raider on the PS3 was recalled once the PS4 version was released, forcing people to buy the PS4 version for more money - they still have the choice to buy either one they want - the same goes for GotY / regular editions, and soon with The Last of Us. I don't know about you, but I played the PS4 then the PS3 version of Tomb Raider for the first time back to back, and I wouldn't call the improvements 'minor'. Did I pay a premium? Of course, yet I chose that option.

It's a fine business decision that ignores its current fanbase and devalues anyone's decision to purchase their games on launch at full price. Probably a net positive for them, but can't say the same for us.
    Guess what - the 'current fanbase' is, and always has been the MINORITY of the human population. A business has every reason and right to want to grow and prosper. Like I said, each and every generation, millions of new people become gamers, either from changing interests, or simply coming of age. A lot of those people have ZERO interest or intent in buying and connecting 8+ year old hardware (PS3) to play a select few titles, and it does become an economic issue - do I invest in old tech for a few experiences, or do I invest in newer tech to future proof myself for 5+ years (10 years if M$ and Sony have their way...ha), and have access to new games and these rereleases?

I just feel like people feeling betrayed and devalued, is on them, not on the business. You buy the game as is, and that's that. If you want the experience they invested more time/money into, well, you can buy that as well, but expect to wait and pay more for it. And a lot of these rereleases are no where near the level of retardation the Street Fighter 4 rereleases are, so if people want something to complain about, pick on that, not on winners of 200+ GotY awards.

And now I feel guilty for investing so much energy into writing all this. I guess I do it in hopes that I'll spend less energy in the future reading about entitled consumerism (which sounds a bit redundant to me already).

PS- Outstandind, hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you. I'm simply expanding on my initial points you questioned.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    I just feel like people feeling betrayed and devalued, is on them, not on the business. You buy the game as is, and that's that. If you want the experience they invested more time/money into, well, you can buy that as well, but expect to wait and pay more for it. And a lot of these rereleases are no where near the level of retardation of the Street Fighter 4 rereleases are, so if people want something to complain about, pick on that, not on winners of 200+ GotY awards.
    I agree with this 100 percent the re releases of street fighter 4 are horrible they add 4 new fighters than charge you another 40 dollars it bs and way way worse than companies re releasing great games from older systems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast