Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Net Neutrality and You. It makes stuff like MP gaming and video streaming fair! Stop the next SOPA.

This is a discussion on Net Neutrality and You. It makes stuff like MP gaming and video streaming fair! Stop the next SOPA. within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ok, I am not one to usually go down the political path here, but over the last few weeks/months, something ...

PRO Member

Net Neutrality and You. It makes stuff like MP gaming and video streaming fair! Stop the next SOPA.

Ok, I am not one to usually go down the political path here, but over the last few weeks/months, something that should be important to anybody who likes information and access is coming under fire: Net Neutrality.

You are probably saying "What is Net Neutrality?" In a nutshell, its a policy formerly enforced by the FCC that states: it is illegal for an ISP or Carrier to bias your internet connection to provide better access to content they provide or are linked to (i.e. you pay for a "neutral" connection to the internet, hence net neutrality). It makes it illegal for a company like Cox, Comcast, or Time Warner to limit your bandwidth to something like say Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, or a Multiplayer Game Server in favor of providing more bandwidth to their media services.

It is an important concept that has maintained a level playing field on the entire internet (yes this influences the GLOBE, not just the US) since its inception in the mid-90s. It has permitted start-ups to compete on a level playing field with established brands, it has helped in preventing monopolies of information by certain vested parties... It used to be a given, but as more and more ISPs also become content providers and are spending BILLIONS on lobbying, it is starting to falter. Right now it is getting serious, as the FCC is passing legislation in the wake of it determining it can not enforce net neutrality. This new legislation (tabled in early May to permit public feedback) would allow ISPs to determine appropriate connection speeds for services.

The problem is this places everything most of us hold dear on the internet in the crosshairs of companies who compete with them. Like Netflix? Well TWC has a service that competes with Netflix, so if they are your ISP you may see some slowdown. Like media services like XBL or Steam? Hmm, you could get anything from those, so Comcast isn't going to let you have a full connection. Heck, depending on your viewpoint, this could even hinder something like Wikipedia from being able to sustain itself or at the very least you being able to reliably connect to it. After all the recent there currently is no planned limitation to what can and cannot be "slow-laned," it is left to the discretion of the service provider. It wouldn't be so bad, except most people in the country are not provided other options because the ISPs themselves have regional monopolies.

For a more comical summary, I highly recommend this video:

Do yourself a favor though and tell the FCC to keep Net Neutrality alive: Send Us Your Comments | FCC.gov or FCC Establishes New Inbox for Open Internet Comments | FCC.gov

It may be somewhat futile, seeing as the chair of the FCC in the US is a former Comcast employee. Hopefully if there is enough public outcry, they will do something.

Put simply: This is as big a threat as SOPA or PIPA to how you live your connected life. You should care, and you should do something.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Kiwi Defender

I think I recall this being brought up not long ago, but it wasn't anything certain yet. I certainly hope people rally against it like they did with SOPA and PIPA, or the whole lot of us will be screwed, whether we live in the US or not.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I remember it. ive joined ant-SOPA groups and all their affiliates and repost constantly on Faceboook.
    This concerns ALL of us not just gamers

100% Grizzly

I fear this and data plan'd internet.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Good post OP. Everyone who uses the internet should be against it, not just gamers or people who stream content live. We stopped SOPA, chances are we'll be able to stop this too.

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I think I recall this being brought up not long ago, but it wasn't anything certain yet. I certainly hope people rally against it like they did with SOPA and PIPA, or the whole lot of us will be screwed, whether we live in the US or not.
    Not going to happen, people in the U.S will bitch and moan why their internet is damn slow and expensive but won't strike or take it to the white house and these ISP's such as Comcast has so much money they can just bribe congress and the FCC into getting what they want such as the TWC merger they so claim is needed to expand and give service to other parts of the states.

As well the United states ranks so darn low and yet it's the same country that made the internet. It makes you wonder why countries like South Korea and Romania have made so much progress into giving their people fiber internet and at a cheap price compared to the U.S.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    Not going to happen, people in the U.S will bitch and moan why their internet is damn slow and expensive but won't strike or take it to the white house and these ISP's such as Comcast has so much money they can just bribe congress and the FCC into getting what they want such as the TWC merger they so claim is needed to expand and give service to other parts of the states.

As well the United states ranks so darn low and yet it's the same country that made the internet. It makes you wonder why countries like South Korea and Romania have made so much progress into giving their people fiber internet and at a cheap price compared to the U.S.
    This. American broadband companies are holding the worldwide internet back.

Quote Originally Posted by harryisonfire View Post
    This. American broadband companies are holding the worldwide internet back.
    I think you mean the American internet service here.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I think you mean the American internet service here.
    Well, yeah. My point is that big, major companies like Comcast or Verizon see the internet as a something they can make money from, and they don't exactly care if they ruin it as long as they're making a lot of money.

ADMlNlSTRATOR

If you haven't given a shit about this until now, you're way behind.

It's not too late to do something, but it's gonna take more than liking a status on Facebook or re-tweeting a post.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel_Bear View Post
    I fear this and data plan'd internet.
    Comcast is already looking to make their internet packages like Mobil data plans. I just read it's gonna start at 300gig/month. Then over charges set in. It's absolutely absurd. Google needs to pick up the pace and roll out fiber asap. I believe Comcast also made a statement saying that people don't need 1gb download speeds when Google announced fiber. Who in their right mind would ever say "I don't want faster internet!" Companies like Comcast need to be stopped and put in their place.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by seether98 View Post
    Comcast is already looking to make their internet packages like Mobil data plans. I just read it's gonna start at 300gig/month. Then over charges set in. It's absolutely absurd. Google needs to pick up the pace and roll out fiber asap. I believe Comcast also made a statement saying that people don't need 1gb download speeds when Google announced fiber. Who in their right mind would ever say "I don't want faster internet!" Companies like Comcast need to be stopped and put in their place.
    This is exactly what I meant when I said Comcast where ruining the internet.

Lvl 5 - Silver

ISP`s like Verizon dont cap speeds and have said in the past "they wont" (we'll see). I have FIOS and have had fibre for a few years now and will NEVER go back to cable wires. Ignore Comcast/Xfinity lies saying faster speeds than FIOS, its impossible. ive done tests myself at my house and my dumb ass brothers house, (he refuses to change even with proof, (COGNITIVE DISODENCE).
    Comcast has been lying for years and now its finally coming to a head. If we want to stop SOPA we have to show we wont support companys who support it, like Comcast. cancel your service, tell them why and NEVER GO BACK!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    ISP`s like Verizon dont cap speeds and have said in the past "they wont" (we'll see). I have FIOS and have had fibre for a few years now and will NEVER go back to cable wires. Ignore Comcast/Xfinity lies saying faster speeds than FIOS, its impossible. ive done tests myself at my house and my dumb ass brothers house, (he refuses to change even with proof, (COGNITIVE DISODENCE).
    Comcast has been lying for years and now its finally coming to a head. If we want to stop SOPA we have to show we wont support companys who support it, like Comcast. cancel your service, tell them why and NEVER GO BACK!
    I live in western Massachusetts. I had dsl for years. Verizon kept telling me "fios will be available in your area soon." This went on for years. Last year I gave up Verizon and switched to Comcast. I despise Comcast but I had no choice. I couldn't take 3mbps/sec. What sucks is it's available two towns over. I'm along I91 and can't get anything but comast or dsl. It sucks.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    ISP`s like Verizon dont cap speeds and have said in the past "they wont" (we'll see).
    verizon does it to netflix.

i want google to come take me to the promised land already.

Now they want the people unaware of what Net Neutrality is to think it's a bad thing.

Cable companies are reportedly funding fake consumer groups to attack net neutrality

Renegade Time Lord

Now they want the people unaware of what Net Neutrality is to think it's a bad thing.

Cable companies are reportedly funding fake consumer groups to attack net neutrality
    Wow. Something has to be done about this. And fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i want google to come take me to the promised land already.
    If the bill passes then, unless Google doesn't do what others are planning, there will be no promise land.
    Just one question. Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by seether98 View Post
    I live in western Massachusetts. I had dsl for years. Verizon kept telling me "fios will be available in your area soon." This went on for years. Last year I gave up Verizon and switched to Comcast. I despise Comcast but I had no choice. I couldn't take 3mbps/sec. What sucks is it's available two towns over. I'm along I91 and can't get anything but comast or dsl. It sucks.
    I live in Maine and if we want fast internet we have to get Comcast(still Time Warner at the moment), the fastest download speeds I have seen here are at 8mps. Its supposed to be 20mps and this is just normal plan. When I lived in Va I used to get 30mps or more from just a normal plan.

Lvl 7 - Gold

As well the United states ranks so darn low and yet it's the same country that made the internet.
    Belgium invented internet and it was first used at the CERN...
    But i get your point...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by _RiCaRdO_ View Post
    Belgium invented internet and it was first used at the CERN...
    But i get your point...
    Uh, no, Belgium did not invent the Internet. The actual Internet we use today, otherwise know as the World Wide Web, was invented by Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist who lived in the UK and the US.

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.history.com/news/ask-hist...d-the-internet

Tim Berners-Lee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice try though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast