Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No Man's Sky: How A Seemingly Impossible Game Is Possible

This is a discussion on No Man's Sky: How A Seemingly Impossible Game Is Possible within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'm stoked to see how this game pans out. In particular: * How much of the science they get right. ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm stoked to see how this game pans out. In particular:

* How much of the science they get right. They already mentioned that they took into account the color of the atmosphere taking into account the color of the star, which is a nice start. I'll be curious to see if they factor in other details, such as the effects the composition of the atmosphere and gravitional intensity on light, weather and geology. For example, at Earth normal gravity, if the atmosphere is primarily methane (in liquid and gaseous states), the rain drops will be HUGE, and fall VERY slowly. If a planet has a magnetic field, the color of the aurora at the poles will also be affected by atmospheric composition, as well as the intensity and pattern of solar storms. Et ad infinitum.

* What balance, if any, they manage to strike between auto-generated data (planets) and static data (lasting effects). For example, in order to have a galactic playground as large as they envision, the amount of static data they maintain for each discovered planet will necessarily need to be very limited, in order to limit open ended data growth, which in turn impairs the immersiveness of the experience. For example, aside from auto-generated discovery tags, I'd be surprised if they let a player have any lasting effects on a planet or leave any trace of their presence at all. It's going to be a very tough balancing act, and will almost certainly be one of the main central issues of the entire game, from a design standpoint.

* It will be interesting to see how they come up with goals/agenda for players to have a sense of purpose, and measure their progress.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

The more I think about it, the harder I think its going to be for them to overlay a static structured system of play, with measures of progress and goals, atop their huge auto-generated universe. It's definitelty do-able, but they're a tiny development house, and so far all they've demoed is their innovative auto-generated universe, and nothing whatsoever about the progression & play structure system. They also dont seem to have anything whatsoever resembling a release schedule, for even part of the game, much less the whole in alpha or beta.

For the moment, I've shelved my interest in this game, and am watching the progress of "Star Citizen" instead (from the founding author of Wing Commander), which looks very promising, and which already has portions of their software in crowd-funded pre-alpha dev testing.

I'll renew my interest in NMS if/when they have something playable and modestly structured to offer.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 6 - Silver

More weeks have gone by and there's still so sign of anything resembling goal-oriented top level design management & marketing, or meaningful game structure, goals, ship specs, economy, or even a pre-alpha release of something ... anything.

What's the point of pre-hyping a product unless you have something, if only a developmental pre-alpha, to either crowd fund or solicit developmenta playtesting & inputs for ? Stoking interest, only to have it die on the vine, makes little sense because it simply showcases a lack of progress and conditions onlookers to expect disappointment.

I've deleted by bookmark to their site. If I hear something out of the blue that makes me remember and want to rediscover it, great ... but I'm not holding my breath at this point.
    Amazon Reviewer

Lvl 8 - Gold

The more a developer hypes a game, the less interested I am. I been disappointed way too much in the past to get hyped anymore. The bigger they are, the stronger they fall as they say.

PRO Member

They're very passionate about their game and they probably don't have any idea to how advertise this thing properly. Try not to be too harsh on them.

They're coming from a good place.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    They're very passionate about their game and they probably don't have any idea to how advertise this thing properly. Try not to be too harsh on them.

They're coming from a good place.
    I dont think I'm being harsh ... just offering some subjective personal speculation about the technical challenges they face and their apparent lack of anything resembling goal oriented management based on their information posted to date on their own site.
    Amazon Reviewer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12