PS3 to PS4 game upgrade question

This is a discussion on PS3 to PS4 game upgrade question within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I do realise that you need the PS3 game disc for the PS4 digital version to work but my question ...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

PS3 to PS4 game upgrade question

I do realise that you need the PS3 game disc for the PS4 digital version to work but my question is. Do you need to download the full PS4 digital version or is it a smaller file due to some of the coding and mechanics being played through the PS3 disc? I've tried looking on the net for a definitive answer but haven't obviously found one.

Lord of all Goat-Men

You download the full PS4 game. Your PS3 disc is simply a "key" to unlock the cheaper PS4 version.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    You download the full PS4 game. Your PS3 disc is simply a "key" to unlock the cheaper PS4 version.
    I knew it was the key but I didn't know if it used the coding from the disc to make the digital download go from 30-40gb down to 20-25gb. Thanks for the heads up

Lvl 9 - Gold

it is a smaller file size. For Call of Duty: Ghosts, I only got a 31GB download file, when the full digital is 49GB i think. its not much, but its pretty good.