EA: The Industry needs to embrace change (That change being Microtransations and Pay to win)

This is a discussion on EA: The Industry needs to embrace change (That change being Microtransations and Pay to win) within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; EA: Golden Age for Gaming Upon Us, Industry Needs to Embrace Change - GameSpot "I think the challenge sometimes is ...

INTJ

EA: The Industry needs to embrace change (That change being Microtransations and Pay to win)

EA: Golden Age for Gaming Upon Us, Industry Needs to Embrace Change - GameSpot

"I think the challenge sometimes is that the growth of gaming... there's a core that doesn't quite feel comfortable with that," Moore said. "I don't get frustrated, but I scratch my head at times and say, 'Look. These are different times.' And different times usually evoke different business models. Different consumers come in. They've got different expectations. And we can either ignore them or embrace them, and at EA, we've chosen to embrace them."
    "I think the core audience that dislikes the fact that there are play-for-free games and microtransactions built into those... fine, I get that," Moore said. "I don't think anybody has to like it. I think that's where it goes. It's like me; I get grumpy about some things, but if the river of progress is flowing and I'm trying to paddle my canoe in the opposite direction, then eventually I'm just going to lose out. From the perspective of what needs to happen in this industry, we need to embrace the fact that billions of people are playing games now."

EA saying this shit sounds like pod people from the invasion of the body snatchers

La Mano de Dios

Seriously EA? So that's your perspective of a golden age of gaming... Lame arguments.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Sounds like EA is wanting to get the worst company of the year award again. Give the other shitty companies a chance, you bastards.

PRO Member

Looks like I'll be getting less and less EA games.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Jimquisition said it best once, by saying "That idea is so bad, it's like asking Electronic Arts why people hate Electronic Arts."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...People-Hate-EA
    Last edited by jaws-ate; 07-02-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

EA there, clearly forgetting how shit they got in the late 90's, at least now they have good games with their bastardry, but you sense from E3 this year, that will become a much smaller pool of goodness as the generation rolls on. It's a shame, they really did start pulling their finger out at the start of the Naughties, now, as it did before (though on a smaller scale back then), short term greed is blinding them to the issues their business model brings.

If they ever lost their stranglehold on those lucrative sport licenses, they would have seriously start worrying about their future, then again, who, bar Take Two perhaps, would be able to outbid them and make good games out of them anyway?

The greatest irony is that EA have enough cash to take more customer friendly risks without any major damage to the brand, but yeah, instead, they spend an entire studio's lifetime budget on advertising for games people buy every year without so much as looking at the back of the box. Mind you, this is what many big corporations do, just happens to be more visible nowadays.

Rise Above

this moore guy is an idiot. enough said

PRO Member

I'm not grumpy

gawd damn river of progress

Deathless Destroyer

Micro transactions and DLC (to pay) is what is killing the gaming industry. What's worse is that they are both apparent in games you pay for initially, not just in f2p.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

PRO Member

I like how EA is forgetting one critical part in this equation: this element only works when people are buying things despite the perceived reduction in quality/progress/whatever.

I know project ten dollar went spectacularly for you guys EA, but I probably wouldn't build more ill-will.

Of course, what do I know? Microtransactions work like spam-busters in the cell-phones.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    EA saying this shit sounds like pod people from the invasion of the body snatchers
    Well I never thought i would say this but I agree with Ps360.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    Looks like I'll be getting less and less EA games.
    Yeah what he said. It's fine if with me if I buy less of there games. I can always spend it on something else which looks like a better idea.