Rumor: PSN purchases to transfer to Playstation Now

This is a discussion on Rumor: PSN purchases to transfer to Playstation Now within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; According to NeoGAF user “ Bastion ”, games purchased through PSN are playable for free on PlayStation Now. He pointed ...

Autumn Leaves

Rumor: PSN purchases to transfer to Playstation Now

According to NeoGAF user “Bastion”, games purchased through PSN are playable for free on PlayStation Now. He pointed out that on the PS3 version of PlayStation Now, the games he already bought (Stick It To The Man and Saints Row 2) and are available in the current phase of the Beta are showing up in PlayStation Now with a cart symbol next to them, meaning the games had already been paid for.

The only thing that has changed is the wording when selecting the game. Clicking on it brings up the normal rental fee/rental period. But the fact that PS Now knows what games you own means they are working on something.

Bastion further went onto state that his PSN games were not available to play for free on the PS4 version, which could be the case of the PS3 app being more up-to-date as the console was the first device to receive the PlayStation Now beta.

Source: PS4Daily

Lvl 1 - Bronze

\o/ my question i always wanted to know about and it's been answered Thank you

Word is Bond

This needs to be real.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

This will be absolutely great. Also, it will be cool that those games in physical form go free too.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Think it'll work with ps plus purchases too? Cos if that's the case I'm selling my ps3 after I've finished dark souls 2 :p

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Im on board with Playstation Now as long as the price for the games are not rediculous as before.

PRO Member

So I could play Season 3 of TWD (example) on PS4 via PS Now?

Grandmasterpiece

Hopefully this is a thing. Like a real thing.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    But the fact that PS Now knows what games you own means they are working on something.
    Potentially. All though this would make the service all that more attractive, I'm hesitant to just jump to the conclusion that this will be its final form. They could just be enabling this option for beta testing purposes, and easily change it for release to show a 'PS3' icon to show you only have access to it on a PS3 (or whatever device) as a download, not streaming.

I'm hopeful, yet still have doubts Sony would want to essentially give away cloud processing power when they're making zero extra income from it.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 4 - Silver

That would be fantastic. I hope it's for real.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Lvl 2 - Bronze

So you're telling me that I could do this with Twisted Metal: Black, Defiance, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Grand Theft Auto IV, and every single digital game I have purchased over the years and play on my Vita, and without ever needing to pay for the service? If so, then this is an amazing move by Sony! This may change my whole standpoint on the game if this comes true.

PRO Member

This would make more sense and could potentially help out Playstation Now, since at first it seemed like Sony was going to lose a bunch of money because of the ridiculous pricing and the fact that we thought we would have to pay again for content we already owned.

I think having this feature available in Playstation Now would benefit PS Plus marketing since you would be getting two free games a month on three platforms some of which you can later stream on Playstation Now for free? It's hard to imagine how Sony would actually make a profit out of this but I really think it would boost PS Plus memberships and if the pricing of Playstation Now rentals get's adjusted to more realistic/competitive prices I think it can actually be a hit.

The only problems there seems to be with Playstation Now which I believe is due to Latency or something like that (correct me if I'm wrong) is that fighting games and some shooters don't run as smooth via Playstation Now (which of course is obvious) and the fact some people might not meet internet speed requirements (yes I know a few people who do not have 5MBPS).

However I'm starting to believe in Playstation Now, doubt I'll personally use it since I'm more of an old school physical copy type guy but it's direction seems good.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 1 - Bronze

if this is true then I would buy a lot of digital version of ps3 games just to later play them on my ps4 down the road. I am so hoping skyrim will end up on playstation now. the ps4 "should" handle the frame rate drop when I hit 13mb of saved game memory when I was on the ps3

Lvl 7 - Gold

I hate to rain on everybody's parade here but I don't see this as being real for now. I am part of the PS4 Beta and I don't see any games I have purchased as being free on there. Maybe I have a different access than this guy but maybe I'm wrong. I know that I purchased SR2 a long time ago on PSN and it isn't free for me on the beta. In fact, I hate to say it but the service isn't looking too appealing based on the selection and the pricing. I can't discuss the details because of the Beta agreement but let's just hope they make some tweaks to it before they release it to the public.

You Know You Love Me

Quote Originally Posted by derby0187 View Post
    if this is true then I would buy a lot of digital version of ps3 games just to later play them on my ps4 down the road. I am so hoping skyrim will end up on playstation now. the ps4 "should" handle the frame rate drop when I hit 13mb of saved game memory when I was on the ps3
    Sorry to burst your bubble, babe, but that's now how streaming works. The game is hosted on PS3 hardware at a central location, and then broadcast to you via your TV/console. The game will not run any better than it does now on its native platform. In fact, it might even look a little worse, depending on the quality of your net connection.

As for the OP, I can almost guarantee that games you own will NOT be "free" to stream. You will have to pay a monthly subscription fee or something, because the cost of the resources required to run and maintain the service are just too great to allow PlayStation Now to be a free service.

Think about it: you are essentially paying for access to a whole PlayStation console, as well as the infrastructure required to stream the content, the means to store it, customer service, product licences from devs, etc.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by juliuspleezer View Post
    I hate to rain on everybody's parade here but I don't see this as being real for now. I am part of the PS4 Beta and I don't see any games I have purchased as being free on there. Maybe I have a different access than this guy but maybe I'm wrong. I know that I purchased SR2 a long time ago on PSN and it isn't free for me on the beta. In fact, I hate to say it but the service isn't looking too appealing based on the selection and the pricing. I can't discuss the details because of the Beta agreement but let's just hope they make some tweaks to it before they release it to the public.
    I have both the beta on PS3 and PS4 and they seem to be different versions. Also if I'm not mistaken the person who stated this was using a PS3 version of PS Now. I have to agree with you on the fact that no the service doesn't seem appealing at all at least in it's current state it isn't. If they were to implement this to the service though it might start getting some consumers interested.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 5 - Silver

since the beta started I have seen the word "playable" under all the games I own that are in NOW. My saves arent there but I can play them without having to "rent" them, just click "play now"
    It would make sense, I just dont see how they can make the save on the system go to the cloud unless it does a scan of the system