Doom finally revealed at Quakecom 2014

This is a discussion on Doom finally revealed at Quakecom 2014 within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Source: New Doom Game Is Finally Shown Off At QuakeCon 2014 Doom, the franchise that many credit with single-handedly launching ...

PRO Member

Doom finally revealed at Quakecom 2014

Source: New Doom Game Is Finally Shown Off At QuakeCon 2014

Doom, the franchise that many credit with single-handedly launching the first-person shooter genre, has had a long road. Personally, I can credit it with sparking my interest in PC gaming, and still look back fondly on that satisfying ka-chunk that came with inserting one of the 400 floppy disks needed. Tonight, iD kicked off Quakecon 2014 by finally giving us our first peek at the new Doom game, and it’s already looking to reignite my love for the franchise.

Our first of two gameplay demos started near the beginning of the game. Your space marine admires his helmet for a moment before locking it into place and bringing up the HUD, which brings back memories of Metroid Prime as everything is laid out in front of you in realistic positions.

Right off the bat, the Union Aerospace Corporation area we see looks hellish. The red glare of magma laps at the bottom of the screen while the catwalks beneath your feet show no small amount of wear and tear. Holding your trusty shotgun, even the barrel shows wear of being used before.

Walking around, certain key points are highlighted in your view before the data from them is saved, as the screams from demons seem to echo from the very air around you. We’re not sure how this will play out quite yet, but it seems to be the closest thing to a quest log that we should expect out of the game. Doom isn’t a tactical shooter, this is a frantically paced combat game. Killing and trying to avoid being killed will be your sole priority.

We get our first glimpse at the demons that, in the words of the very large Texan sitting to my left, “needs a good killing,” and the level of detail is definitely impressive. A few shots from the shotgun highlight the vulnerabilities on their fragile frame before they finally are torn to pieces.

I want to make this very very clear. I mean literally “torn to pieces.” Doom‘s weapon play is absolutely visceral, but the melee combat is borderline uncomfortable with how powerful it seems to be. As far as I can tell, enemies will flicker when they’ve taken enough damage, allowing you to finish them off in style. We saw a wide variety of melee kills, all met with roars of approval from the crowd. Punching and snapping of the neck was among the most tame of the kills, with the highlights being ripping out a demon’s heart and (my personal favorite) ripping apart the demon’s skull with your bare hands, leaving behind only some teeth and the tip of the spinal cord.

One other highlight was trying to bypass a security console that required a finger print scanner. In one of the most visceral displays of violence I’ve witnessed, a nearby corpse from a scientist had its arm ripped off at the shoulder before being unceremoniously dropped on the scanner, unlocking the door and leaving a streak of blood as it slid off the glass in the process.

This first demo was brought to a screeching end not soon after a demon managed to corner us, rip off both of our arms and beat us to death with them. Have I mentioned that this game is visceral?

The second demo took place on the actual surface of Mars. The tension was ratcheted up a notch as the audio was gently muted and a geiger counter beeped softly in the distance. This tension wasn’t meant to last long, as we encountered a horde of demons again. Switching to the trusty chainsaw, we quite literally were able to tear through the enemies. In one impressive moment, a demon also raised his arms to protect himself before the chainsaw simply cut through him and sliced his torso in half.

This demo was highlighted by one morbidly obese monster chasing us around as we peppered rockets into its torso while trying to avoid taking fire from lesser demons. After finally wearing it down, we managed to rip out its exposed stomach before force feeding it to the beast, leading to a massive explosion of blood and organs onto the floor.

Doom isn’t aiming to be a subtle game. This is going to be a nasty, dirty title aimed at keeping you on edge and uncomfortable the entire time. And honestly, I really couldn’t ask for anything more out of it.

Unfortunately, we weren’t allowed to get any video of Doom on the show floor, but the rumors are going around that the official video will be released closer to Gamescon come August. Security was pretty tight, but at the same time I’ll be surprised if someone didn’t manage to get a bit out.

Either way, keep a look out for more news on the upcoming Doom game in the near future, as this is definitely a title to keep an eye on.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

Hopefully this is good.

I have semi-trailer sized worries about the game though, truth be told Doom hasn't been particularly relevant (even to fans of Doom) for a decade or good since the 90s and id software is shaking off not only a near 8 year development hell thus far, but also several botched games and attempts to reinvigorate the company to compete in today's market.

I hope they are serious when they say they want the series to go back to its gory roots, and I hope that secretly this also means they will focus on the camp-appeal of old shooters and make this more like the new Wolfenstein and less of a survival horror.

Lets also hope as a group that this game doesn't turn into "OMG! WE NEED TO JERK OFF OUR GPUS!" The last thing id needs is another tech demo turned into a game like RAGE was, moreover I'd like to actually enjoy an id game again.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

The Playboy Wikipedia

This makes me want to play the Doom beta even more now
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Lvl 9 - Gold

theres slightly more details about the new DOOM game here: IGN Reacts to First Doom Details - IGN Conversation - IGN Conversations - IGN Video

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post

I have semi-trailer sized worries about the game though, truth be told Doom hasn't been particularly relevant (even to fans of Doom) for a decade or good since the 90s and id software is shaking off not only a near 8 year development hell thus far, but also several botched games and attempts to reinvigorate the company to compete in today's market.
    they made wolfenstien relevant

they can make doom relevant

hell doom was relevant already with brutal doom mod and Zandronum

The Quakecon demo sounds like a Modernized High Graphical version of the video above.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    they made wolfenstien relevant

they can make doom relevant

hell doom was relevant already with brutal doom mod and Zandronum.
    Yup, because when I think relevant... I think in the context of fan community mods for a game that was released multiple decades ago and is currently open-source!

Come on, what you got there is a stretch. Relevant is not synonymous or correlated with good, relevant means it is connected to the matter at hand (in this case, first person shooters). It would be synonymous with concepts like popular or similar. I think the vast majority of people would not mention doom as a comparison point for most first person shooters; instead I would expect it to be mentioned as a genesis, like Super Mario Bros. 3 for a modern platformer.

To some extent I think your post almost solidifies my feeling that Doom has become almost an indie or hipster game, something people play for either retro-camp appeal, nostalgia, or some misguided sense of irony.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm not a shooter-fan, but DOOM brings back good old memories...So i think this will be cool!

Lvl 5 - Silver